1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Amp Supply lk500ZB Help.

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by cbkidd1, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM.

1. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

IMG_20180416_152150902.jpg I got my lk500 ZB Amp back up and running finally. It was not easy to figure out. The trouble I am having now is the fan does not come on when I switch the power on to the amp. I traced the two leads from the fan one goes to the junction board I guess that is what it is called might be wrong on that. From there over to two Dale 15 watt 500 Ohm Resistors where both wires are connected one on each side. From there to the front high and low switch. The resistor on top can be moved from side to side or up and down? I can see when moving it powder comes out of the one side. So I am guessing that resistor is the cause of the fan not working? My question is there a way to work around the resistors in order to get the fan working? I am not sure if that has anything to do with keeping the ready light and xmit stby switch from working if the fan is not working? I have two Dale 10 watt 100 Ohm wire wound resistors if I could use them in place of the other resistors? Or could I wire it back to stock?. Here also is a stock photo of the same amp before it was changed. This fathers day is my birthday and I was hoping to be able to talk on my radio after spending two months on fixing my amplifier. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 73, 64648185_406865689920119_8036506052792942592_n.jpg

#1 cbkidd1, Jun 14, 2019 at 5:55 PM
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019 at 6:07 PM

2. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke Member

That amp should have one high power resistor in series with one leg of its wires going to it from the 120v source. The hi/lo switch simply shorts out the resistor in high speed. In low speed the resistor is in line with the one leg and it slows the fan down. The original design may have had two resistors in series and only shorted out one in high speed and left one in and called that high speed. If you intend on running AM with that amp you had better make the high speed a direct hook up to the 120v supply with no resistor in line. The fan on those amps in high speed sound like jet engines.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  3. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

Evening Blowinsmoke,
    Hope all is well. I just found out that's not the only issue I am having. When I go to key the amp it won't key? I checked the cord running from the relay that loosecannon was nice enough to install in the radio to key the amp going over to the amp key input. That seems to be in working order. Do you think I might have a bad Zener Diode and that is keeping the amp from keying? Thank you for your help. Think I fixed the fan trouble.

4. BlowinSmoke

BlowinSmoke Member

Nope. A bad zener diode would not keep it from switching into transmit. All the zener diode does is set the operating bias of the tube. If the zener was shorted the only issue would be higher idle current which is not a big deal it just makes the tubes draw more current when not driven. Make sure you have the keying circuit hooked up right. How are you keying the amp? Using the radio or a foot peda; or what?

5. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

Loosecannon traded me, my President, Jackson that needed some work for a President AX144 that he had restored for his self. And put in a relay that was hooked up to the pa-jack. So I could use it to key the amp. All was needed was for me to run a wire from the pa-jack on the radio to the relay jack on the back of the amp. So when I keyed the microphone it would key the amp. Now after replacing a few parts inside the amp, everything appeared to be ok. That is until I went to key the Microphone on the radio and found the amp was not being grounded in order to put out a signal? Not sure what is wrong? Should I just try to use a switch and see if it keys the lk500 without the radio? That way I will know if it's the relay inside the radio or a part inside the lk500 that is bad? 73,

6. cbkidd1

cbkidd1 Active Member

Got it working again. Just one Question. I am seeing 220 on plate current with microphone keyed and amp tuned is that too high for the plate current?

7. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

Idle current...might be a smidgen high...but pretty close for pair of 3-500's
    Do yourself a favor and don't run that thing on AM!
    GL All the Best
    Gary

8. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

hey cbkidd1, congratulations on getting the amp working!
    im sure that was no small task.

glad to hear that the keying issue was resolved.

as for the blower, i would start with a thorough check of your AC line jumpers.
    LC