• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier for 6 m band (low-power)

IK1PFW

Jul 17, 2014
Hello,

I usually work QRP with a bare FT-817 but would like a little more power at 50 MHz for working Meteror Scatter.
Anyone knows a little amp easy to be found mainly in Europe. From 30 W to maximum 100 W could be OK...I have found nothing similar :blushing:
Thanks a lot a 73

RM ITALY. The VLA150. They make some others as well. Not sure how well they operate but they do make them. Should be able to get them in Europe, again not sure there either. But worth a look. Good day and god bless.

Thanks so much...but this one is out of production! What a pity, would be ideal. I will look at it on ebay. 73

Sounds like a job for an old "Business band" sweep tube amp. Many old two tube CB amps like the Afterburner and Browning 180 were sold as VHF low band amplifiers that you just removed a jumper from the tank coil to operate on 11. Just about any of these amps will work on 6 at the power levels you seek by shortening the tank coil.

Thanks to all, but here in Italy it's not so easy to find Amplifiers from USA, and shipping one of the Larcan in Europe would costs really too much money. I will look at online Europe market for something of interesting and at low power.

I will follow anyway here, a very good source of info.

It's the IPA or pre driver stage.
Uses a pair of MRF148 transistors.
50VDC power supply required.

Photo attached is for high band 174-230MHz. The 50MHz version is the same size, but does not use the circuit board with the 2W ICs at the left. It uses an Anaren 3dB coupler at the input and output. This is the closest to the actual module I can photograph at the moment.

Attachments

• 20140721_224450[.jpg
    20140721_224450[.jpg
    461.1 KB · Views: 172
It's the IPA or pre driver stage.
Uses a pair of MRF148 transistors.
50VDC power supply required.

Photo attached is for high band 174-230MHz. The 50MHz version is the same size, but does not use the circuit board with the 2W ICs at the left. It uses an Anaren 3dB coupler at the input and output. This is the closest to the actual module I can photograph at the moment.

Interesting. I have not seen those before. Then again television is/was not my thing except for watching what passes for entertainment these days.

I had a couple of them when you were visiting.

I guess we were too busy replacing pinched rigid coaxial line at the time. :whistle:

I just have the one pictured for 222MHz remaining. It has two independant parallel amplifiers. Would make a sweet set of drivers for a pair of 1.5kW amplifiers. :) About 2 watts drive for 3kW output.

I can hear the wheels turning now. :D

dxChat
Help Users