• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier for SSB

First off that tech you took it to is an idiot, second if the radio is only putting out 2 watts then there seems like there is something wrong with the radio. The Washington is a older radio therefore there could be capacitors that are leaking and need to be replaced, the RF transistors could be going bad. Yes two watts is the preferred output into a cb amp but there is more going on here. The radio needs to checked over by a qualified tech(hard to find in the cb world) and parts replaced. The radio could close to dieing completely.
Well, I am bracing for a response from this shop. He is an awfully nice person and I hope i wasn’t too rude or abrasive.

Megawatt has great units, and they don't make static in the receiver like the cheap ones.

my megawatt 30w power source arrived yesterday and i set it up and dialed in 13.8v. I turned it off and on and the voltage was spot on as soon as it is turned on. Does anyone have any ideas on a stand for this thing? He provided specs on the screws. I hooked it up to a mobile radio to test it.IMG_1553.jpeg

my megawatt 30w power source arrived yesterday and i set it up and dialed in 13.8v. I turned it off and on and the voltage was spot on as soon as it is turned on. Does anyone have any ideas on a stand for this thing? He provided specs on the screws. I hooked it up to a mobile radio to test it.View attachment 63935
I mounted mine to the underside of my desk.

Reactions: Radiomatrix
55 watts is too high, I'd go with a 25 watts dead key out of amp
Thanks again for the tip.
I've been monitoring the power supply volts quite often. 13.8 volts was too much. With 13.0 volts from the power supply and one-watt from the radio, the dead-key out of the 203 is at 25 watts.

my megawatt 30w power source arrived yesterday and i set it up and dialed in 13.8v. I turned it off and on and the voltage was spot on as soon as it is turned on. Does anyone have any ideas on a stand for this thing? He provided specs on the screws. I hooked it up to a mobile radio to test it.View attachment 63935
Keep those paper clips away from the top of the power supply.
What did you use to attach the + and - wires to the power supply?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?