• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier help.

Be sure to get an external SWR meter. If you are gonna start using some extra power you will need too get a hard mount antenna and loose the mag mount.

If he is running the Sirio 4000 or 5000 mag mount he will be good to go. I have run some serious power through one and it worked great. The antenna handled a 900 watt dead key with no problems at all. The Sirio antennas are designed for the European Amateur market and they can run more power than we can in the US. It is very popular over there as well. 222DBFL has been running one for years as I have, and had no problems with them at all.

Reactions: God1234
I have a Roadpro meter, do you think that will be sufficient. So you dont think my wilson 5000 wont be able to handle the extra power?

I have a Roadpro meter, do you think that will be sufficient. So you dont think my wilson 5000 wont be able to handle the extra power?

The Wilson should do just fine as far as power is concerned. I don't know about the meter because I have never owned one of those.

Reactions: God1234
A noise filter can help with alternator and other electronic noise, you will only be able to use it with the radio. Most are rated 15 amps or less, an amplifier would burn it up.

Since you are new to amplifiers remember the single greatest improvement you will make is the first 250-300 watts. After that you will have to double your power EACH TIME to make a difference. What this means is if you are running a 300 watt amp and upgrade to say 400 watts NO ONE will even notice.

Here are some links for amplifier 101 basics to read up on.

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/Amplifier Series/Amplifiers Part 1.html

http://www.cbradiomagazine.com/Articles/Amplifier Series/Mobile Solid State Linear Amplifiers.html

http://cbradiomagazine.com/March 2007/Power in Perspective.htm

The Sirio antennas are designed for the European Amateur market and they can run more power than we can in the US. It is very popular over there as well. 222DBFL has been running one for years as I have, and had no problems with them at all.

No we can't. 12W SSB is the maximum legal limit for CB. For amateur radio in the UK its 400W and the highest in Europe like the rest of the world is 1.5kW, the same as the USA.

In the CB world they're very popular however in the amateur radio world, far less so but more to do with snobbery/not being aware of them than because of performance.

9C1driver said:
Since you are new to amplifiers remember the single greatest improvement you will make is the first 250-300 watts. After that you will have to double your power EACH TIME to make a difference. What this means is if you are running a 300 watt amp and upgrade to say 400 watts NO ONE will even notice.

Its actually at least four times to make a difference as 1 S point should be 6dB which is 4x. So going from say 20W to 100W you'll notice a large difference. Going from 100W to 400W the other station won't notice that much, maybe 1 or 2 S points, and going from 400W to 600W they'd have a hard time telling at all. One thing to take into account is once you go over 100W then for mobile installs things start to get expensive/time consuming as it needs to be done properly to ensure you don't melt vehicle wiring and don't end up with all kinds of issued from common mode RFI due to poor grounding. Above 400W you have to change from RG58 as you're at the limit of its capabilities unless you've perfect SWR.

Last edited:
No we can't. 12W SSB is the maximum legal limit for CB. For amateur radio in the UK its 400W and the highest in Europe like the rest of the world is 1.5kW, the same as the USA.
In the CB world they're very popular however in the amateur radio world, far less so but more to do with snobbery/not being aware of them than because of performance.

The Sirio antennas have a wide band width that have not seen on any other "Mag Mount" with out running an antenna tuner. With mine setting in the middle of the wife's 2000 civic or my 1995 GMC jimmy requires no adjustment on SWR. From 10/11/12 meters the SWR is still usable with out adjustment.
I have never heard a complaint about the Sirio 4000 and 5000 series.

My sirio turbo has handled the magnaforce 2 pill for over a year now and never once has given me An issue. I would say hard mount it with anyrhing over 400 watts but like tallman I have seen guys run 4 pill Amps with a wilson 5000 mag mount years ago and they never had any issues. Granted it's not the best way to go, but it can work I installed Right!! JMO. God Bless

Reactions: Crusher and God1234
Crusher I was skeptical as well but I willl say the sirio beat the Wilson hands down when I compared them. Larger magnet for mag mount and the antenna is a bit taller as well. They have been solid performers for me I will say that!!

Reactions: Crusher
I appreciate the help guys, Any recommendations on filters?

I would skip the whole filter thing. It's a mobile cb set up, if the radio is properly tuned and you have a decent class AB amp roll with it. No one runs a lo pass filter on 11m in a mobile. (inline coax)

Now if you are talking about a noise filter on the red power line check out the RF Limted filters they sell. It will ONLY work on the radio power line though. You don't usually run a filter on an amplifier power line.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.