• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier help.

God1234

Oct 20, 2014
Hiya everybody. Kinda new to this and looking for some advice. I am currently looking to get some more power. I am using a cobra 29 and im looking to purchase a mobile amp. I would prefer to not have to add any alternators/ batteries to my vehicle. Been looking at the MF200, good idea bad idea? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What level of wattage are you looking for? Since you are AM only any of the class "C" biased amps will work good for you. However if you go with a SSB unit in the future the class "C" amp will sound pretty bad and you will need to replace the amp. If you get a good amp with "AB" bias to start with you will be in good shape if you go to SSB. My favorite amps are the Texas Star line. They cost a little more than the throw away amps but you get what you pay for. I feel the quality issues of the throw always is an issue. I have seen so many bad right out of the box. The Texas Stars work as they should and are not as sensitive to the drive levels as the others.

Reactions: God1234
Spend the money once and get a good amp. Davemade, x-force, or texas star would be my 3 choices. And like tallman said, get something that is biased for SSB use. I have a new style tnt 600hd with toshiba 2879 Transitors and it works well on both am and SSB. Look around and take your time before purchasing a you may find a good used one. I am finally learning its not all about a bunch of power but more of having a good antenna system. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for. God Bless.

Texas star it is. Should I go for the DX1600? I have not done any mods to my radio except turn up the modulation. Will it run on my stock alternator? What else would i need to make this thing run.

Texas Star all the way. Like everyone stated......antenna, antenna, antenna !! Depending on the vehicle and what size amp you want to run. SO, tell us more details !!

I have a wilson 5000 mag mount and a 1989 ford ranger. On a side note shoud I calibrate my swr using the built in radio meter first then tune the antenna to the Roadpro?

I did a little more research and that seemed to be the case. What exactly is the difference between the 350 and the 350hdv? I am asumming i will need a driver for the hdv. How many amps will the 350 draw. It just says on the website < 4.

Thanks, I guess the 350 it is. Any tips on where to purchase? And once I do receive how should i go about firing it up. I am guessing I will have to re tune my antenna. Then it seem like i will be able to just play around yes?

Thanks, I guess the 350 it is. Any tips on where to purchase? And once I do receive how should i go about firing it up. I am guessing I will have to re tune my antenna. Then it seem like i will be able to just play around yes?

Just shop around on the net. I've never bought a new one, so I really don't know.
Keep your eye out for used as well. C-list, facebook, or on this forum! Don't count out the other brands mentioned on hrre either. These guys know their stuff!!
You may have to make some internal adjustments on your radio. That just something you'll have to play with to see where it works best.(y)

Get it here. http://www.hyelectronics.com/DX-350-Variable/productinfo/DX-350V/

The DX-350V means it is vairable in power output. You don't have to run it flat out all the time. Be sure you get some low pass filters. One in between the radio and amp and one between the amp and the antenna.
Also do not tune the antenna with the power amp turned on. Tune the antenna with out the amplifier in line at all. This will keep you from getting erroneous readings.

Be sure to get an external SWR meter. Radio shk has a decent one for about $40. DON'T rely on the swr meter in the radio. If you are gonna start using some extra power you will need too get a hard mount antenna and loose the mag mount. Do you have a shop close by that can check out what ever amp you decide on?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.