• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

... and the antennas are coming down

hookedon6

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Jun 21, 2008
spent the day lowering all but my inverted vee,.........

I think we are gonna get hammered on the west Florida coast{Cry_river}

I'm less than 1/4 mile from the gulf:whistle:

Reactions: 1 person

Besides 80mph+ sustained wind ('Category 1') and torrential rains; tidal surge from a hurricane can also be devastating. 1/4 of a mile inland? How many feet above sea level?

If there are mid-level wind shear present; that can drastically change the severity of a hurricane. These mid-level wind cause it to decay. I am watching this one; as are many storm chasers across the country. Doesn't mean that a tropical storm with less that 80mph winds can't be dangerous and devastating. I've seen storms and the damage done . . .

Last edited:
ehh its way too far out to tell, my towers and antennas wont come down till friday evening / sat morning if need be, however i am going to fill my reserve tanks on my truck just incase.

Of course, it is still a tropical storm and too early to tell if it will be upgraded. This will depend on water temp, steering winds, and mid-level sheer - to name a few factors. Earlier predictions/computer forecast had it going towards New Orleans. Recent NOAA forecasts have it moving N. Hard to say at this point. Possible hurricane force wind by Monday on the southern tip of FL.

233614.gif

233614W5_NL_sm.gif

Reactions: 1 person
I am back down in FL now and ned i say really missed the sunshine state.

The Hazer will come down if it heads this way. Being in the center of the state around Gainesville FL hopefully it will diminish some before it gets this far inland, but those tornado spinoffs really can put a hurting on the towers.

Google 'Bill Gates hurricane' and see what he patented several years back after Katrina. IIRC there hasn't been a hurricane enter the gulf between FL and Cuba since he did this. All those hurricanes that did come into the gulf came up through the warmer Caribbean side. All others headed up the east coast. Gotta love that oil money.

It's a good topic when discussing conspiracy theories next time. :)

I wish u guys well. My prayers will be with you. I HOPE we get some of that rain up here in the Midwest!!!

LOL, it would be a great test for antennas for sure!!!!

Direction has changed a bit more to the WNW. Guess the warmer Gulf water is giving this storm the reason for the hurricane warning; they can change rapidly to a powerhouse in this region at this time of year. Once the eye clears Cuba, its true direction and strength will be known. Florida will definitely get the effects. Perhaps MS, AL, LA, and GA too seems to be the path ATT.

205619W5_NL_sm.gif

Last edited:
Still rated as a Tropical Storm w/+60mph winds. Expect it to be upgraded to a hurricane within the next 24 hours. Change of direction moving towards WNW. No discernible eyewall yet. Potential for higher wind speeds now that it is in warmer Gulf waters. Landfall predicted to be LA/MS/AL. Some forecasters are saying LA.

Tropical Storm ISAAC

152348W5_NL_sm.gif

The storm surge along the W FL coast is expected to be about 5 ft; check out this graphic:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/152348.shtml?gm_esurge#contents

Last edited:
best wishes to all those affected, be safe and don't be foolish. I have only experienced tornadoes and mother nature is a not a very forgiving mistress.

Not even coming anywhere near me, now. Well, at least I got both gen sets out, fueled and did load tests for an hour or so.

We did have a very large tree branch come down, in horse pasture and spend all day Saturday cleaning it up.

Just a reminder for all, Hurricane watch net on Tuesday, 14.325 and 7.268 Mhz.

Now I'll be 40-50 miles to the east of the eye if it acts as the track predicts. Bought supplies yesterday and tested the ol' gen set. I was 5 miles to the west of Katrina's eye when it came through. There's some folks that 'ain't living right' around here. Gonna do a yard clean up today and then check the bordering neighbors' yards tomorrow morning.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?