• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

And you think YOU have a tall tower!!

The lesson on this video is not the video itself, but the fact that the guy that posted it originally on his own site tried to take it down about 48 hours later. Too late. It had already been posted enough other places that it is now probably the most posted tower climbing video on the Web. Don't put anything on the Web you don't want anyone to see as it will be out there forever.

MORONS!

If you have a DEATH WISH why waste all that energy? Climbing anything about 25 ft or so WITHOUT the PROPER safety gear & USING IT is for a FOOL or a MORON! The graveyard is FULL of HERO's,FOOLS,MORONS,& IDIOTS along with the rest who just had their number punched!NO SECOND takes with just ONE "LITTLE" mistake! :thumbdown:

SIX-SHOOTER

The bad thing about being that high up is that you actually have time to think about dying on the way down. :cry: I was on my shorty-forty tower this past summer and just wore my climbing belt with the seat harness and climbing lanyards and did not bother with the full body harness. I was properly belted in at the top and had both arms extended above my head tying a rope to the boom of an antenna I was going to take town when the tower brace I was standing on broke. :eek: I dropped about 10-12 inches down to the next cross brace. Man talk about an adrenalin rush.That was enough for me that day. I can't even imagine being 1700 feet up and having something like that happen. They would have to bring in a helicopter to rescue me and probably remove the tower section that I had a death grip on too.

Hi Cap.
It's just so wild to think that they are allowed to "free climb".
One would think that there would be some type of equipment up there to protect them that would still make the climb effective?
I guess parachutes are out as if used in an emergency, they could hit a guide wire and slip fall to the ground?
An old friend of mine used to own the top of a "hill" around here and AT&T had a space for their tower next door. They would "Chopper" the guys on top.
Slip ups and accidents happen. I bet these guy's retire from this trade forcedly by the company after a short time and re-located within the company structure.
I know a few "linesmen" but at least they are all tied off.
tracker.

Hi Cap.
It's just so wild to think that they are allowed to "free climb".
One would think that there would be some type of equipment up there to protect them that would still make the climb effective?
I guess parachutes are out as if used in an emergency, they could hit a guide wire and slip fall to the ground?
An old friend of mine used to own the top of a "hill" around here and AT&T had a space for their tower next door. They would "Chopper" the guys on top.
Slip ups and accidents happen. I bet these guy's retire from this trade forcedly by the company after a short time and re-located within the company structure.
I know a few "linesmen" but at least they are all tied off.
tracker.

One of the best fall protection systems that allows a rigger to basically free climb while being protected is the Cougar safety Rail or Cougar Safety Cable system. They both do the same thing but one uses a special pipe rail and the other uses a cable installed from top to bottom of the tower and the climber attaches a special trolley to his harness that in turn attaches to the rail or cable. This allows the climber to ascend and descend the tower without having to hook/unhook safety lines yet if he should fall the trolley locks up much like a seatbelt does. Next year I hope to put up a 56 or 64 foot Trylon Titan series tower and if I can afford it install the Cougar safety rail at the time. If not I will install it a year or so later. It's well worth it IMHO. I already have the harness and trolley so all I need is the rail.

Cougar Safety Cable

http://www.trylon.com/pdfs/Cougar Cable System Instructions.pdf

Cougar Safety Rail

http://www.trylon.com/pdfs/Cougar_Rail_Install_CDN.pdf

This job's for YOU (NOT me!).

Hi all.
Not sure if I posted this before?
Mods, sorry if it's not in the right place but could not find an "off topic" section.
Please move if need be.

I get vertigo just watching this!!

tracker.

World's Scariest Job is Today's BIG Thing - SEP 15, 2010

Yup, I've seen this video a few times since it was first posted, taken down, re-posted, moved, re-located, etc... etc... etc...

I just cannot believe anyone having the cajones needed for THAT job! Amazing.

Like the original poster here, I ALSO GET VERTIGO JUST WATCHING THIS :blink:.

Truly amazing.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.