• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Newbie Question - Uniden PC76XL or Galaxy DX 959?

Which radio for a Newbie: Peaked and Tuned Uniden PC76XL or Out-of-the-box Galaxy DX 959?

• Total voters

Stryker

Jan 16, 2007
Ok, earlier I asked about the Uniden PC76XL that I purchased off ebay. It has been peaked and tuned. I bought it for around $65 plus shipping. After reading on the forums and getting my curiosity up, I started looking at cbs more. There's a local truckstop that has the Galaxy DX 959 on sale for $129. Should I resell the Uniden and go with this Galaxy for the SSB capabilities or keep the tuned Uniden? At first CB's looked like something to just have in a vehicle for directions or emergency use, but after reading around on the boards, I believe it could be an interesting hobby.

both good radios , 959s got SSB , 76 don't , 959 can be easily modded for extra channels off the chip the 76 won't , 959 has variable drive the 76 don't , 959 has a freq counter the 76 don't , if you don't use SSB ? the 76 AM only would be all you needed , but the 959 can pretty much give you the best of both worlds . 129.00 out the door is a god price for the 959 , even if you could get 60.00 for your 76 cutting the costs down towards the 959 , I personally think you would be doing great . And I must admit , those 959s are pretty radios as well , eye catchers if you will.
0cd5_1.JPG

galaxy959hires.jpg

Switch Kit said:
both good radios , 959s got SSB
galaxy959hires.jpg
SSB with only a 5-digit readout. And, at the end of the day, you still have a Galaxy (not good for this example).

Still, its a good price for a decent radio and I really like the large meter!. If you are serious about your radio hobby and want SSB, Get the Uniden Grant. If a basic AM radio is all you want, get the Uniden 76. Uniden!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1