• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another newbie question

Well, I guess what I'm trying to ask is what radio not to get. There are so many radio's on ebay that I'm not sure what to get as a first radio. I don't have my tech. lic. yet, but I'm working on it. I have some money right now and thought i better get something while I have it. I just didn't want to get something I'm not suppose to use.

The most popular is 2 meter or a 2m/70cm (144-148Mhz; 440-450~Mhz).
Some use 223Mhz (1.25m), but mostly 2m is the most comon. Depends where you live - I guess.

EDIT: 6 meter too...

Last edited:
A Tech can use any ham radio be it HF ,VHF,UHF as long as the tech stays within the assigned frequencies to his/her license grade

Kind of nice huh?:tongue: So what radio you get depends on how much $ you are willing to drop on a radio.

Most Tech calss hams usually hang out on 2 meter ...144 to 148 mhz,that is by far the most popular band for techs.

Hello folks, this is my first posting on this forum. Me and Drago are both studying for our tech license and bottom line for us on a budget, what is a good beginning tech radio.Its got to be portable since we both are outdoorsmen and ride dual-sport bikes both on and off road.We also want to use our radios for emergencies assistance be private,county or national.We are new to this radio discussion forun and welcome any advice you all have.:confused:(y)

For what you described, your best bet upon getting your ticket is a 2 meter handie. These should be reasonably priced and you can even snag some used handies on ebay very inexpensively.

When you're dirt biking, simplex will work great. You'll also want to find out the local repeaters and try to find a local net to check into and introduce yourself.

73 de Fred
KC2JMG / VA3FD

Don't put the cart before the horse.

Pass the test first (easy) and ask the VE's about locally used rigs.

They will know what is active in your area better than we will.

You might even get lucky and have one of them Elmer ( A guy that will help instruct and guide you) you.

I think I would agree with '74IN', ask about what's typically done locally, since that's probably going to be your -first- experience with radio. I'd also say that the VHF/UHF bands are going to be your best bet, sort of. There's a huge number of things that can be done on VHF/UHF, it certainly doesn't have to be limited.
I'm afraid that I don't agree about an HT as a good first radio. About the only thing they have going for them are size, and cost to some extent. They are almost never a 'simple' radio to use, just too small for the typical abilities, and since they are small, a very great many 'options' are only available by programming via menues, multi-button combinations etc. Range is very limited without buying optional equipment (antennas mainly). I would suggest a 'mobile' type radio instead. Big selection there, won't get into "which is best" for you, I honestly don't know. Then there's the "new/used" thingy, another thingy I ain't getting into! ;)
I would also suggest you both study a bit harder and get the General class license! That opens things up to a very great extent, can use all the bands available. Sure, means a little more work/study, but it's certainly worth the effort. (It really isn't ~that~ hard to do.)
I think this whole radio thingy is a lot of fun. Huge number of options/areas to get interested in. It doesn't have to be all that expensive, but it isn't a 'cheap' hobby, about like fishing, "You paid WHAT for a boat?", sort of thing. Besides, especially in this weather, you can do it inside! :)
Have fun.
- 'Doc

(Some of the above is opinion, mine. Some of it is just a fact. If it 'sounds' like it could be an 'opinion', it probably is. There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Friends don't let friends drive Dodges. And if you ain't got Kenwood, you got squat! And lastly, we got rid of Barry Switzer cuz he wanted to change the name of the state to 'Switzerland'. It that don't cover it, @#$$ with it.)

Best advice given, look for a local club and join before you even get your ticket and before you buy anything.

You need to find out not only what repeaters are in use locally, but which ones are actually active and what power and antenna you will need to reach them.

A handheld seems like the best choice, I bought one myself as my first radio. But if you don't have repeaters you can reach with one, you will be disappointed. I can nearly throw a rock at the most used local machine so it worked out for me.

Now, 99% of my use is either in my car with the mobile or using another rig inside my house with a roof antenna. The handheld is mostly a scanner I carry around at this point. The signal quality, range, audio quality is better with a mobile so give it some thought.

Finally for radios, IF you have 440 repeaters near you...my two favorites to recommend due to simplicity and value are

Yaesu FT-60 handheld
Yaesu FT-7800R mobile

They are both dual band, single receive, have a crap ton of memories and software that is easy to use to program them full of frequencies.

The radio isn't the important thing, it's what you will use it for and what is going on in your local area for frequency use.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    C'mon let me take you on a Sea Cruise! (Maybe there is someone to talk to out there?)
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Just for the Halibut.
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Seems to be dead on the radio lately. I don't know if the conditions are horrible, or more likely my weak antennas. I may head up in the mountains on Wednesday and see if reception / transmission is improved.