• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another Newbie with questions!

jeepn

Jeepn
Jan 26, 2011
OK
Hello to all. I am in Oklahoma and studying for my tests. If starting out on a low budget, what wave length would one be best served to jump off in in the lower frequencies? 2M, 6M, 10M, ........ I would like to jump in where the is a lot of traffic to be able to use my new found freedom with the best bang for the buck and go from there. Maybe even a dual band unit would be nice. I hope to learn a lot from all you veterans out here.

Thanks!

Grady

Welcome to the forum !!

It might be well worth your time to take a look at taking the General class test as well.Just a bit more to study over and you will get a good piece of all the HF bands for your DXing pleasure

The HF bands are always active somewhere

2m only if you're rural.
2m/70cm if you're in or around a large city.

Chat with the local guys, get involved, learn some things.

2m 50w + 80 ft of LMR400 + J-Pole / 3x5/8 antenna @ 30 ft+ is a solid performer for simplex. It'll also get you out to repeaters upto 40-50 miles away without a problem, depending on terrain.

dual band

2m only if you're rural.
2m/70cm if you're in or around a large city.

Chat with the local guys, get involved, learn some things.

2m 50w + 80 ft of LMR400 + J-Pole / 3x5/8 antenna @ 30 ft+ is a solid performer for simplex. It'll also get you out to repeaters upto 40-50 miles away without a problem, depending on terrain.

That is what I am looking to hear. I do live in a metropolitan area, sound it sounds like a dual band unit is what I should be looking for for a mobil to start with. Appreciate it, and I am checking out local clubs now.

thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.