• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another radio falls victim of Bob's CB shop

I picked up the radio for a very reasonable price USED. Had 2 blown front end diodes. I did not get screwed at all. Just saying the radio had the stickers on it it was sealed. I was the first one in it to change the diodes. The radio is cranked way up and blew a transistor. The radio is the victim not me.
just curious as your title kinda suggested it

I guess I'm not allowed to post on this thread anymore??? I was just getting ready for a good discussion... My Bad...
shucks i just put fresh pot o coffee on to drink n read the long posts ahead. Come on guys get this ball rolling ,i used pricy foldgers classic coffee

Reactions: Tokin and Slowmover
Well RW, all I can add for your pleasure (or displeasure) is this pointless crap...

I was a Galaxy fan until Parzerozero from the Copper forum turned me to the dark side and introduced me to Magnum. I actually had one of every Galaxy radio made at the time, think 44V and such. The 93T had just been released and that was a major disappointment to me, just for the record.

So I bought a brand new S9, untouched. My buddy, SS8541 was mentoring me at his shop a bit, so we put it on his service monitor. That is the absolute only time anyone has ever been inside that radio. Many will disagree I’m sure but that radio is the absolute best radio ever built, in my opinion, far as an “export” radio goes.

That was 16 years ago and I still own that radio today, I’ll never give it up. I talked to Sam Lewis Jr many times, I hate he’s gone, he was a very nice guy and he loved to talk too, too bad Eric isn’t more like his dad. I will never part with that S9, there may be more like it and may be many more that are better but I will keep that radio until I’m worm food.

As to what the issue is with the radio in question here, beats me. Could be the mosfet finals in it maybe? Could be just a case of “let’s crank everything wide open”, I dunno. Could be “let’s pop this npc over the top of the TGM, again I don’t know. Could be a bad TGM or TGC, ruh roh Raggy.

Low Boy will figure it out though, too good a track record in my book. I’m not a “shoot from a distance” type guy, that’s more along the lines of Andy or Nomad, I need it in front of me. Like Donny Burger said, booze and good tunes, guy.

2EF4ED02-0E1A-4489-BAB3-9092A919F69C.jpeg

Well RW, all I can add for your pleasure (or displeasure) is this pointless crap...

I was a Galaxy fan until Parzerozero from the Copper forum turned me to the dark side and introduced me to Magnum. I actually had one of every Galaxy radio made at the time, think 44V and such. The 93T had just been released and that was a major disappointment to me, just for the record.

So I bought a brand new S9, untouched. My buddy, SS8541 was mentoring me at his shop a bit, so we put it on his service monitor. That is the absolute only time anyone has ever been inside that radio. Many will disagree I’m sure but that radio is the absolute best radio ever built, in my opinion, far as an “export” radio goes.

That was 16 years ago and I still own that radio today, I’ll never give it up. I talked to Sam Lewis Jr many times, I hate he’s gone, he was a very nice guy and he loved to talk too, too bad Eric isn’t more like his dad. I will never part with that S9, there may be more like it and may be many more that are better but I will keep that radio until I’m worm food.

As to what the issue is with the radio in question here, beats me. Could be the mosfet finals in it maybe? Could be just a case of “let’s crank everything wide open”, I dunno. Could be “let’s pop this npc over the top of the TGM, again I don’t know. Could be a bad TGM or TGC, ruh roh Raggy.

Low Boy will figure it out though, too good a track record in my book. I’m not a “shoot from a distance” type guy, that’s more along the lines of Andy or Nomad, I need it in front of me. Like Donny Burger said, booze and good tunes, guy.

View attachment 37973
up close n personal
I had a delta force,if it hadnt been chopped up inside id prolly kept it. Ive owned many galaxys this 99 V has took a lickin came back a tickin

I had 6 of the S9’s at one time, I hate myself for parting with them. I’ve also had several S3’s and S6’s plus the S-680 and an S-980.

I never had the bigger S9’s with the amp on them but I always wanted one. I guess 808 musta bought all he could to keep us from getting them, RIP Lon...

Reactions: Handy Andy and Rwb
I had 6 of the S9’s at one time, I hate myself for parting with them. I’ve also had several S3’s and S6’s plus the S-680 and an S-980.

I never had the bigger S9’s with the amp on them but I always wanted one. I guess 808 musta bought all he could to keep us from getting them, RIP Lon...
i like the no drift on ssb

You just answered it - well to me anyways...

Magnums are and will always be great radios - they are overshadowed by Galaxy and because of their footprints are similar - they earn that stigma from the designs being so similar (Duplicated) to each other...

But...that is where they stop being clones and Magnum went in another direction with the level of quality and their sourcing of parts. Board color aside, they (Magnums) are of a much higher caliber.

You are seeing that passion.

They just got caught up in the "showmanship" drive near 2005 when RCI and Galaxy were vying for your tax dollars (pun intended) and on that wagon they went when they became their own - but they lost the "bullet" and RF Limited took over.

They simply wanted to be the best.

What I don't know is why @Low_Boy got this radio - it certainly looks like it is a S3 - Echo and all, but the parts tell a different story - someone NOT from Magnum or RF Limited - did this work.

You just answered it - well to me anyways...

Magnums are and will always be great radios - they are overshadowed by Galaxy and because of their footprints are similar - they earn that stigma from the designs being so similar (Duplicated) to each other...

But...that is where they stop being clones and Magnum went in another direction with the level of quality and their sourcing of parts. Board color aside, they (Magnums) are of a much higher caliber.

You are seeing that passion.

They just got caught up in the "showmanship" drive near 2005 when RCI and Galaxy were vying for your tax dollars (pun intended) and on that wagon they went when they became their own - but they lost the "bullet" and RF Limited took over.

They simply wanted to be the best.

What I don't know is why @Low_Boy got this radio - it certainly looks like it is a S3 - Echo and all, but the parts tell a different story - someone NOT from Magnum or RF Limited - did this work.

Right, he says it has Bob’s seals on it or did. So in my opinion that means someone at Bob’s screwed the pooch on this one. Personally, EKL or ERF smee-RF... I’d drop in some 520’s or N10’s and see if I could get the thing back on par. Then, if that part was important to me, I’d hunt them and swap them in.

To attempt to avoid an argument, in my opinion, absolutely Magnum is a cut above most everything else, at least what’s considered export and was available at the time. Again - in my opinion. And I have a love for these radios, so maybe that makes me blind to everything else.

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.