• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another radio falls victim of Bob's CB shop

Then go back to the radio...

I'm quite sure that "sawtooth" waveform seen as output was from the final that is damaged, and the one unscathed may still be waiting for it's order to start working - remember what was uncovered so far.

Matched pair of a claimed "Match pairs" ARE REQUIRED if you run one single "EN1230 or EN369" part - else run two bias'ers to allow for each MOSFET to run on their own.

We found only one bias line feeding one ERF2030 - but the outputs were tied.

So by photographic evidence, the one ERF2030 that looks unscathed, the radio may have been operating only on one final MOSFET this whole time.

Review the work done to it. You may still have an operational ratio, becasue one finals Gate never got hooked up - it may have just been in a "free running" state running in proximity to the other final as a mirror of it - it may still work, although a "bit tempered".

Reactions: Rwb
Just remember when copper is heated - after it cools, it is even more fragile and brittle - exercise care when re-working that area - that discoloration shows tempering - so the copper foil in those traces has lost it's ductility.

Reactions: NZ8N and Rwb
I can not find what they did. Replaced 2 finals. PEP. 80W from 2W 80W from 5W Avg 13W from 2W and 18W from 3W.

Attachments

• 20200614_111119.jpg
    20200614_111119.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
We got it looking a bit more presentable. Doing about 60 low 70 high. Still seems like a lot of power but.... still is a bit over modulated.

Attachments

• 20200614_191836.jpg
    20200614_191836.jpg
    919.7 KB · Views: 20
Wow, It's Alive!

giphy.gif

Ok, settle down, let's get the patient back on the table before it leaks RF all over the floor and walls...

Reactions: NZ8N and Rwb
View attachment 38088

I’ll play devil’s advocate here, Maybe you’re just overthinking this thing here, I know there’s the arguments for and against the “matched” sets. While I’m not saying they aren’t important, I am saying does it really matter in this case?

I know we want this perfect signal, we don’t want anything introducing harmonics or distortion into our signal. But is everything else going to be absolutely perfect to the point that an unmatched set will cause chaos? I love Magnum but it’s not like this is the Rolls Royce of radios we’re talking about here. You could argue that too, it needs all the help it can get and not something else to introduce an issue with.

But again, does it really make that big of a difference? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Is it worth all this time and effort for the end result?

View attachment 38089
si comprenda

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.