• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Another Stargun Sucker

Here are a couple of creations that Troy has made in the past.
The last picture was Judge Beans antenna built from two 10 k antennas and a crutch.

Jeff

View attachment 27954 View attachment 27956 View attachment 27957 View attachment 27958 View attachment 27959 View attachment 27960
One big difference between Troy's antennas and that one Judge built tho...Judges crutch 10K actually worked! He won a Key-down contest with the thing...think he also had one made out of a old lawn chair too at one time.

updated version of the crutch 10K...the "flat-side" version...

images

The 10k antennas that Kale builds are decent antennas.
I have a single coil with a 22 inch shaft and a single with a 27 inch shaft.
They are both good antennas.
In fact there was some testing done on these by someone I can not remember now ( maybe Mole remembers) that had data to back up that they were very effective antennas.
I have talked to Kale many times on the phone and even though I have had my disagreements with him in the past he is light years ahead of the stuff Troy throws together even tho he is not well versed on antenna theory.
The majority of CB antenna builders claim things that need to be taken with a grain of salt.
One great example is Jo Gunn and there gain claims and the famous Multiplication factors.
Kinda like when the antron 99 first came out and they claimed it had 9db of gain.

Jeff

Knowing that when you place a horizontal radiator directly on a metal roof (or too low to the ground) that it eliminates nearly all of the horizontal component, would have eliminated that design mistake too.
That horizontal radiator is more like a capacity hat. It's still primarily a shortened vertical antenna with coil loading that's no different than my screwdriver antenna I use.

That antenna doesn't need that other coil especially that close together. Placing it in the center of a metal roof is right where it should be.

My screwdriver antenna with cap hat.

IMG_0602.JPG

The problem is that antenna is not advertised as being shorter due to the top elements. That height reduction is mostly taking place in the loading coils here. It's advertised as a "flat side". The center of a metal roof is the ideal spot to mount a vertical that is looking for a reflection of itself below. It couldn't be much worse for trying to radiate a horizontal signal. If you've ever put a dipole up way too close to the ground, you know what I'm talking about. All you have is an omni with little horizontal or directional characteristics.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.