1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Another unannounced one from ranger

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Eldorado828, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

Nowhere to be found when doing a search for them so definitely a unicorn. It's a keeper imo, I opened mine up, reflowed solder as I usually do, straightned up components, added the cp-1 and now it just needs a good alignment/tune up. No trustworthy shops close to me so it'll more than likely get shipped to a good shop for that part. It talks well locally AM but ssb seems to be a bit off frequency as it stands.

Pretty cool that Mr Nomad got to set yours up for you, willing to bet that you're really pleased with it. Hopefully one day I can hear you on the air.

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.

2. The20poundhammer

The20poundhammer Sr. Member

Chris is the man on this stuff!!

Slowmover likes this.
  3. lonestarbandit

lonestarbandit 4-2-9 Central TX

I understand Ranger has been putting out some turds....so perhaps I just got lucky.
    My recent 2950CD seems to get good reports (as subjective as that is) and adding a good active noise canceling ham speaker takes care of the famous 2950 white noise issue.
    Ive been extremely happy with mine.
    Seems to work well on SSB as well.
    At the price point and also because of familiarity (Ive owned the orange face and the green face DX) it just works for me.
    Its too bad others aren't experiencing the same result. I will say quality control was crap. I had to tear the whole radio apart cause no one bothered to tighten the mic jack down from the factory.

4. AudioShockwav

AudioShockwav Extraterrestrial Admin
    Staff Member

Odd
    My brother bought a new 2950 with the led display, the so239 on the back of the radio was loose out of the box.

Jeff

5. lonestarbandit

6. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Absolutely no doubt that ranger (rci) has gone downhill and is still falling fast. I really really wish cobra and uniden gave a shit and would start listening to their customers, then in turn start to make some decent radios again. Im really tired of buying fisher price toy cb stuff already

7. lonestarbandit

Yep Shockwave, new color display model here as well with all the loose stuff. They really have 0 QC.
    If I was trying to use this in its intended mobile application vs a base all these little defects could be a problem.

#112 lonestarbandit, Jun 5, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2021
    AudioShockwav likes this.
  8. Eldorado828

Eldorado828 8-2-8 in the Lonestar State

It's been for quite some years now that we've had to put some work into new ranger made radios to achieve a good radio, but you usually get a good radio in the end.

The problems today come with newly released radios just not being very good radios because they aren't what we've asked for, just revamped versions with lights or oddities we don't need.

The 2950cd has had good reports around here with members but only after finishing the qc that wasn't done at the factory. That's a common complaint for years.

They can keep their fireworks for finals, childish light shows, and 5 digit fq counters amongst other annoyances we don't want. That labels these new ones as turds.....

9. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

There is not enough interest for them to invest time and money.

10. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Then go out of business and call it quits. Dont just give up and sell complete garbage for people to waste their money on. Also soiling your once good name and reputation in the end. Ridiculous

AmericanEagle575 likes this.
  11. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

If we didn't have what we can currently get, we would have nothing to buy. I am just glad that someone still makes through hole part radios.

12. groundwire

groundwire Sr. Member

Well thats part of the problem cb radio related and otherwise. People just settle, "you get what you get, deal with it". Sad. Not me, i would rather have nothing and get out of the hobby than keep sinking thousands of dollars into poor quality elementary toy radio equipment.

13. lonestarbandit

Think the problem is its a diminishing market.
    As we get older and die off, so also does the hobby.
    Most young folks have no need for this stuff. They have Spaceface and Quitter and CrapChat they aren't interested.
    If there won't be any customer base, why develop new rigs.

14. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Damn guess I've been lucky on my ranger radios. Except the rx9 which is now great. Screw it just gonna go fishing much less drama. Man this forum has changed

15. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

i guess ima keep usin my old 99V tough old radio never asks for parts but hey she works great n damm hard