• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Another unannounced one from ranger

should be fine. the box inside is the factory packaging.
:oops:
I'm thinking it will be too, hoping so anyway. Happens a whole lot in our area for some reason. Christmas last year had quite a few damaged deliveries.
I'll report on the new rig after it's fired up and tested. First thing will be a peek under the hood though.

Everything checked out well with mine. Just a tad under 4 watts carrier on high swinging to around 15 with a whistle. About 15 watts ssb. Looking over the board thoroughly only found a couple little solder balls stuck to the board but all else checked well. I like the little radio, very simple.

One thing that's odd is that galaxy will do the warranty on them. That's the first I've ever heard Galaxy carrying the warranty on Rangers but then again it's 2021 so why be surprised right.

Hard to tell from the video but the finish looks cheap IMO. I liked the finish they used to put on the old 969 series better.

So a Galaxy 979 with a Ranger faceplate?

I liked the Galaxy DX 979 as it was compact, had the big meter and backlight faceplate.

Compared to that radio this seems like a base model Yugo version.
Yugo version???? LOL......No just no.

I remember
Hard to tell from the video but the finish looks cheap IMO. I liked the finish they used to put on the old 969 series better.

So a Galaxy 979 with a Ranger faceplate?

I liked the Galaxy DX 979 as it was compact, had the big meter and backlight faceplate.

Compared to that radio this seems like a base model Yugo version.
No.......Just.....No....Not a Yugo Version!

A Buick Dealership I think it was in Columbus Ga. that if you bought a Buick they would give you a Yugo as a package deal. I was a kid so I might not remember it right. LOL The list price was something like $3489 or something like that! Worst car ever sold in modern times in America. As bad as Ranger has gotten over the last 30 years nothing they make could be as bad as the best Yugo!

Well, mine got delivered on friday. Put it thru it's paces this morning. Meh, its ok i suppose. First off, it has a cheaper feel to it. Hard to explain. It feels more plastic and cheaper than a 959, 148, 29 etc. Doesn't have that heft to it. Its put together solid, no play in the knobs/pots, controls are solid feeling, no solder blobs, cold joints or mess ups on the circuit board on the one i got. Output power was set up correctly for the most part, on am, 3/4w on low and 4w on high. I dropped it to 1/2w on low. Am modulation was set at around 80% with a 1k tone. I bumped that up to 100% of course. SSB power was dead on at 12w. Now the bad, the frequency alignment was not good at all! Total ballpark alignment. AM was off just a bit, LSB was high just a hair and USB was waaaay off. About 48hz low, yikes! I think they might have skipped the USB part of the alignment lol. Soooo i gave it a full alignment for the heck of it and it talks and hears good now. Talking to myself for like 3min on the dummy load presented no substantial frequency drift. Need to have a full ssb qso to determine the true outcome on that front. The white meter and light is REALLY white. In videos i saw it didn't look that bad, looked to have a good balance. Nope, this thing is white and bright. I will always have a heart for that old school soft yellowish glow of meters and dials so its an unfair biased opinion on my part. But For me, its just too white. in my opinion the radio is fine for the low price and the build quality / alignment reflects that. Is it gonna be my everyday talker? No unfortunately, its going on the shelf and will probably be sold if i come across someone in need of a radio some day. Thats my review on it....

Last edited:
my SSB alignment was way off on LSB. The bias was 70ma and 100. moved it to 50 and 100. adjusted am mod to swing to 15w. I saw TP6 but my probe was not able to pick up a frequency on it. It looks like the leg of a diode.

Reactions: Slowmover
Well, mine got delivered on friday. Put it thru it's paces this morning. Meh, its ok i suppose. First off, it has a cheaper feel to it. Hard to explain. It feels more plastic and cheaper than a 959, 148, 29 etc. Doesn't have that heft to it. Its put together solid, no play in the knobs/pots, controls are solid feeling, no solder blobs, cold joints or mess ups on the circuit board on the one i got. Output power was set up correctly for the most part, on am, 3/4w on low and 4w on high. I dropped it to 1/2w on low. Am modulation was set at around 80% with a 1k tone. I bumped that up to 100% of course. SSB power was dead on at 12w. Now the bad, the frequency alignment was not good at all! Total ballpark alignment. AM was off just a bit, LSB was high just a hair and USB was waaaay off. About 48hz low, yikes! I think they might have skipped the USB part of the alignment lol. Soooo i gave it a full alignment for the heck of it and it talks and hears good now. Talking to myself for like 3min on the dummy load presented no substantial frequency drift. Need to have a full ssb qso to determine the true outcome on that front. The white meter and light is REALLY white. In videos i saw it didn't look that bad, looked to have a good balance. Nope, this thing is white and bright. I will always have a heart for that old school soft yellowish glow of meters and dials so its an unfair biased opinion on my part. But For me, its just too white. in my opinion the radio is fine for the low price and the build quality / alignment reflects that. Is it gonna be my everyday talker? No unfortunately, its going on the shelf and will probably be sold if i come across someone in need of a radio some day. Thats my review on it....

Thx, groundwire,

I have a tendency to go long in writing my impressions, but there’s just no substitute for seeing things as the other man views them. We learn of him and that under his gaze. I see the world differently than before this forum, and want exactitude in my writing (editing needs help).

Thus, be proud, as, for the rest of your days

That TRE-797 Guy

is how we’ll be thinking of you.

All BS aside, it sounds like what someone will
find to be a decent first or second radio. Get it checked. Keep CB shops open, somehow.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I'm thinking of the cp-1 from top gun or the sp1a from top gun inside this radio. In the brainstorming part of it now.

The cp-1 is pretty straightforward and so is the sp1a as far as installation. The sp1a set up is where I'm not so sure. There's 3 potentiometers that will need adjustment. Anyone here have any experience with the sp1a set up?

I'm thinking of the cp-1 from top gun or the sp1a from top gun inside this radio. In the brainstorming part of it now.

The cp-1 is pretty straightforward and so is the sp1a as far as installation. The sp1a set up is where I'm not so sure. There's 3 potentiometers that will need adjustment. Anyone here have any experience with the sp1a set up?
I'm sure it would. Bells CB did a 979 for me in it an it is very good.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated