• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna 27 mhz.

Hunter69gr

Oct 29, 2020
Hi to all. I have an old cobra 29 classic 4w. The antenna is home-made vertical 2.61m with 4 radial 2.96m. I live on an island in Greece and I want to talk to Athens. (70 ~ 80 miles) sometimes I hear Athens. But not always. Is there an Antenna vertical (law forbids yagi.) To help me? Sorry for my English.

Visual field I have sea 18 miles then it has island and sea again

Reactions: Tokin

80 miles is doable on SSB, antennas high over the ground. In AM a lot harder.
For example I talk with colleague 100km away. He have 5/8 on 27m high tower, here 5/8 12m over the ground, both countryside. Regular CB radio s2-3 both ways.
Mike

Reactions: Hunter69gr
Hi to all. I have an old cobra 29 classic 4w. The antenna is home-made vertical 2.61m with 4 radial 2.96m. I live on an island in Greece and I want to talk to Athens. (70 ~ 80 miles) sometimes I hear Athens. But not always. Is there an Antenna vertical (law forbids yagi.) To help me? Sorry for my English.

Visual field I have sea 18 miles then it has island and sea again
Welcome to the forum!
Wow, your gov is strict. Am i understanding correctly that beams are not allowed? Is that just horizontally or vertical also?
This sounds like a perfect situation for an old Super Scanner. The only issues are finding one and shipping/importing.
Im sure others have some suggestions also.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I forgot to say that the conversation takes place on FM. And the antenna is on the roof 56m above the sea. The law says a) 6 meters on the roof. B) in a tower up to 18 meters. Does not allow directional Antenna.
I also have an Alan 42 multi and I put it in Base Antenna on fm. This can go so far;

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb and Tokin
If Athens stations are using FM then you are pretty much limited to FM unless some of them also use SSB - that would be a better bet.

An antenna like a Sirio Gainmaster would work well for you but it will be right at the limit (6 meters) - is that 6 meters above your roof or a 6 meter antenna? The Sirio Gainmaster works well even at lower heights.

You may want to add a small amplifier such as KL203 to boost your output - BUT that only matters if you can hear them so a good antenna is the most important.

If you know you are only wanting to talk one direction you could use a Sirio D-27 dipole - it's directional but is not a multi element antenna so likely no one would bother you about it. It's fairly low profile and can be mounted just 2-3 meters above the roof and will perform well.

Just a difficult situation. SSB with 100-200 watts would be ideal for that distance over water. I used to talk 100 miles from one island to another on SSB with 100 watts regularly. I was at 2000 ft elevation though.

Honestly there really isn't a great solution for you. To pull in stations from far away on FM you really do need some gain or both parties need to run more power.

Last edited:
6 meters. Above the roof says the law. But no one will see a 5/8 antenna. The law is stupid because if I put a tower it will be 12 meters above the roof but the costs are high.

Looking for relay box for MS119 super scanner antenna or where I may get the parts[like relays] to refurbish it .I would greatly appreciate any info...
Thank you..

Welcome! If the law doesn't allow a directional antenna, would you be able to have two vertical antennas? If they were the same height and one was grounded, it would act like a reflector. The distance apart would have to be calculated for the frequency you are using. This setup works great for CB competition vehicles here in the U.S.

Did you ever think about getting a Ham license? You have a multitude of VHF/UHF repeaters that will cover your area and then some. Communications will be far more reliable and your antenna problems will also be eliminated. I would get in touch with a Ham in your area to help mentor you through the details. Meanwhile you can scan some of the repeater frequencies in your area to get a better feeling. I’m all for a CB solution, but IMO you’re asking too much considering your restrictions plus distance criteria.

https://www.irepeaters.com/Home/Greece

Did you ever think about getting a Ham license? You have a multitude of VHF/UHF repeaters that will cover your area and then some. Communications will be far more reliable and your antenna problems will also be eliminated. I would get in touch with a Ham in your area to help mentor you through the details. Meanwhile you can scan some of the repeater frequencies in your area to get a better feeling. I’m all for a CB solution, but IMO you’re asking too much considering your restrictions plus distance criteria.

https://www.irepeaters.com/Home/Greece
There is a uhf / vhf repeater on my island. But in the last two years an effort has been made for the free cittizen band. The association has equipped police, fire, port police with cb so that everyone can have direct communication. They have put radio portals so that you can also talk from your smartphone. This is why I only want cb. But in natural disasters the internet stops. That's why we're looking for ways to have RF communication. Sorry for my English, .is from google.

Welcome! If the law doesn't allow a directional antenna, would you be able to have two vertical antennas? If they were the same height and one was grounded, it would act like a reflector. The distance apart would have to be calculated for the frequency you are using. This setup works great for CB competition vehicles here in the U.S.
Smart Idea. I will try it .. How far is the other antenna? As in a yagi?

Barracuda-Base_Antennas-Beam.gif

f40dbc9a591efa7a5d83673a3ca8ec654dac74ac.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.