1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Antenna analyzer

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Pman62, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Pman62

Pman62 Member

I am interested in getting an Antenna analyzer, but have a very limited budget. I saw a Chinese model on Ebay that was under $100 brand new, but after doing some research, it appears that this unit is, to put it mildly, less than stellar in reliability, or performance. I see very few used ones for sale and even then they are pretty pricey. I have even looked into home brew, but it's been an awfully long time since I've done any electronic circuitry work. I went over some of my old notes and books and was astonished at how much I have forgotten. Any suggestions?

2. M0GVZ

M0GVZ Sr. Member

There are quite a few different manufacturers of the NanoVNA, it's just a case of finding a decent one.

3. Pman62

Pman62 Member

Is there anyone on here that has ever used a noise bridge in the past for tuning antennas? Just curious.

4. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

I did a few times a few decades ago. I set the noise bridge knobs to 50 ohms R and zero ohms X and then tuned the antenna tuner for minimum noise in the receiver. It worked. There are better ways to do it today.

Marconi likes this.
  5. The DB

The DB Sr. Member

Over the last few years I have been gathering up old noise bridges and dip meters, and have even played with them when it comes to antennas. I wouldn't say I have actually tuned very many antennas with them as I prefer using field strength meters, and more recently spectrum analyzers when it comes to antenna tuning. I collect them more because they are part of the radio heritage.

That being said, I have demonstrated the use of both noise bridges and grid dip meters "tuning" antennas as a demonstration at various ham club meetings in the area, as well as more than one field day.

The DB

Marconi and tecnicoloco like this.
  6. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

Mfj 259.

7. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

I paid $100 Cash for my Like New MFJ 259B at a local hmfest a few years ago.It looks & works like new.I wish it went above 2 meters but I have two local friends with models that do if i need one.

SIX-SHOOTER

Marconi likes this.
  8. Marconi

Marconi Usually if I can hear em' I can talk to em'.

Captain Kilowatt and The DB like this.
  9. Pman62

Pman62 Member

I guess I have a soft spot for old tech. Though vacuum tubes were very quickly disappearing when I was still fairly young, I remember them fondly. In high school, I took electronics shop (my HS was the only one in the city of Milwaukee that had electronics) and at the very beginning, we went over vacuum tube theory and operation and I caught on to that way faster and easier than bipolar transistors. Hell, I still have a portable vacuum tube tester stashed away in the basement.

Crawdad and Shadetree Mechanic like this.
  10. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

That is he noise bridge I used to tune a 96 foot top loaded vertical on 80m and 160m. It worked well but this was before even MFJ had analyzers.

Slowmover likes this.
  11. OldTech03

OldTech03 Sr. Member

That must have been about the time Heinrich Hertz discovered radio waves? LOL!!!

binrat, Dmans and tecnicoloco like this.
  12. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

Actually it was in 1986 IIRC. We decommissioned an old AM transmitter site after relocating it. The chief engineer at the time and myself fired up my Icom IC-735 into the old antenna mast that was the original CFAB antenna. It was a 96 foot tall three inch high pressure steam pipe with four strands of number 6 solid copper wire running from the bottom to the top where there was a six foot diameter capacity hat. It was the original CFAB 1450 antenna installed in 1946. 100 watts on 80m and 160m and we had more Europeans calling than we could handle.

13. Highway Man

Highway Man Well-Known Member

I broke down and spent 200 for a new in box rig expert AA35 zoom

14. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

had more Europeans calling than we could handle.

Don't suppose the 120 ground radials under it was a factor, maybe?

15. Captain Kilowatt

Staff Member

Well it sure wasn't the 100 watts. LOL. Even though most of the radials were less than 1/4 wavelength long it was pretty effective. We had a lot of fun shooting fish in a barrel that night.