1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

antenna analyzers

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by MARK HAMMOND, Jan 9, 2020.

1. MARK HAMMOND

MARK HAMMOND New Member

Looking at Comet caa-500 to buy. what do you use? why? reviews?

Rebel Outlaw and Rwb like this.

2. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

MFJ 259B been around a long time ..

Robalo, Rwb and snippits75 like this.
  3. Woody-202

Woody-202 Sr. Member

I've always used a MFJ-259xx series analyzer. All I was interested in (at the time) was setting up antenna's, and once that was done I would usually sell it. However, I've owned the Comet Caa-500 for almost a year and it's very nice as well. It covers up to 500 MHz. Depending on which version of 259 you're looking at, it's coverage will vary.

I'll admit that I was hasty in my decision to buy the Comet, and had I thought about it longer I may have bought either a used MFJ-259, or the RigExpert model that let's you store results on your computer.

I used the Comet a couple times to setup mobile antennas, but I use it daily to tune my Magnetic loop (and that makes for a very expensive MLA SWR readout)

If you're in a hurry I guess *NEW* is the fastest option, however I've seen various used MFJ-259's (over the past 10 months) go for $125-$200, and the Comet for about $275. Whichever one you pick will probably do exactly what you want it to. ;)

I don't know if you saw it, but there's another post that has some legs on it about what antenna analyzer to buy -

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/recommend-an-antenna-analyzer.250957/page-1#post-700695

#3 Woody-202, Jan 9, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    tecnicoloco, Rwb and MARK HAMMOND like this.
  4. MARK HAMMOND

MARK HAMMOND New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Rwb likes this.
  5. Mars

Mars Member

Look into Rig Expert brand. Well made, easy & intuitive to use. Better IMO than any MFJ, costs less than a Comet, comes with a protective weather case for use outdoor. Will give measurement length of coax, length, Smith chart & way more. Nice large color display that is easy to see even in daylight.

Rwb and TIN_CAN like this.
  6. snippits75

snippits75 Well-Known Member

Friend of mine let me borrow his, and already was able to fix another friends CB station, and tune my dipole a good bit better than what it was. I like it!

Robalo and Rwb like this.
  7. ljh505

ljh505 Member

MFJ 259B I've had about 20 years, and for VHF/UHF (UHF ham and GMRS, primarily) a RigExpert AA-650 Zoom. Spend more on antennas, coax, connectors, adapters, ferrites, antenna tuners, and antenna analyzers than on the radios. Thought I had a radio hobby, turns out I have an antenna hobby.

8. Slowmover

Slowmover Elmer

The deeper into the swamp, the faster those copper vines grow around one.

9. Smokinone

Smokinone Member

I have a MFJ259. It's an early version, no letter designation, but it does what I need it to do. I don't use it too much, but it's nice to be able to test and adjust SWR without having to attach a radio and keying up. It gives a nice quick test. Of course it does a lot more, but I haven't found myself using it for much other than playing around finding coax length without measuring...another toy to play with.

I checked a neighbors truck antenna as the radio he had blew the finals. It gave me a quick test to see if it had a bad SWR or open or whatever, without having to attach a radio and key up possibly harming the radio again. Turned out it was OK.

MFJ products have a mixed bag of reviews, but I think in this instance, at least for my purposes, the MFJ works just fine.

Eldorado828 likes this.