• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Recommend an antenna analyzer

I need a new phone this year, so, time to read up

I have the world’s worst relationship with phones. Last one I bought within a couple days a spark went inside my pocket while welding and cracked the screen. Then another week later, I dropped it from the top of a log skidder and the screen hung out of the frame 1/4”. I crammed the crumbled glass back in and have been using it for a year, glass shards and all.

But I’m not buying new anymore...unless kept in a pelican case, they don’t mix with heavy equipment.

FYI the Motorola Droid has an unbreakable screen. My wife dropped hers from a second floor balcony onto concrete and it didn't break. I think most new phones are like this now except for the Apple.

I LIKE Apple because I’ve been using them for a long time and they are familiar to me...but I’ve had the glass break just sitting in my pocket while operating an excavator. If I could get the white hard hat guys to use a RADIO life would be a lot easier. Lol.

(Knock on wood) my IPhone 5 has lasted just over 5-years. Never out of the Otter Case, and “seriously” dropped just a few times.

That said, it lives on a RAM mount in the big truck. When I was still loading/unloading tankers, it stayed in the cab.

My first reading rounds on the NANOVna are that I can see I’ll spend close to what a Rig Expert 35 would run me (Nano model choice plus needed accessory gear). So, I believe I’ll remain on the RE board square for 2020.

I have a RigExpert AA-54 and love it. Not sure they still make that same model but you can’t go wrong with their products. (y)

https://rigexpert.com/products/antenna-analyzers/

+1

These ones are very intuitive and easy to use and offer more info than the NanoVNA. Just look at the screen shots on Rigexperts website to see them.

If you need a Smiths chart like the NanoVNA, mine plugs into a computer via USB and you can see it there.

Yes the Rigexperts do get more expensive if you're needing frequencies above 54 mHz.

Unless you're building your own VHF/UFH antennas, do you really need an analyzer for those bands?

Most if not all VHF/UHF antennas are tuned or tuned close enough out of the box where a check on a SWR meter is good enough.

Just something to consider before buying the more expensive model.

I too use the Rigexpert AA54 and it's all I need. My mobile and base vertical VHF/UHF are pretuned colinear and don't require tuning.

Dan, here is another review of the NANO VNA that may be of interest.

Good deal! I think I’m going to have fun with this..and I while I don’t *need* the capability, I look forward to being able to hook it up to some VHF and UHF antennas that I’ve built and see how I did.

Playing with mobile antennas is going to be one of my first priorities. Managed to find a new 7’ Skipshooter for $27 to my door to add to the mix (cant get anything local). Never been thrilled with the idea of fiberglass antennas so I haven’t played with them much...but I think I’m going to be impressed with this one.

And while on a shopping spree...I picked up a much needed LCR meter as well!

More toys!

Last edited:
I have an MFJ 259B that I purchased at a small Hamfest for just $100 & it looks & works like it's brand New.The previous owner said he used it only once & I believe it.I wish it had the 440 band covered but I have two local friends who have other units that do so they take care of that for me when I need help there.

SIX-SHOOTER

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated