• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

antenna analyzers

Looking at Comet caa-500 to buy. what do you use? why? reviews?

I've always used a MFJ-259xx series analyzer. All I was interested in (at the time) was setting up antenna's, and once that was done I would usually sell it. However, I've owned the Comet Caa-500 for almost a year and it's very nice as well. It covers up to 500 MHz. Depending on which version of 259 you're looking at, it's coverage will vary.

I'll admit that I was hasty in my decision to buy the Comet, and had I thought about it longer I may have bought either a used MFJ-259, or the RigExpert model that let's you store results on your computer.

I used the Comet a couple times to setup mobile antennas, but I use it daily to tune my Magnetic loop (and that makes for a very expensive MLA SWR readout)

If you're in a hurry I guess *NEW* is the fastest option, however I've seen various used MFJ-259's (over the past 10 months) go for $125-$200, and the Comet for about $275. Whichever one you pick will probably do exactly what you want it to. ;)

I don't know if you saw it, but there's another post that has some legs on it about what antenna analyzer to buy -

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/recommend-an-antenna-analyzer.250957/page-1#post-700695

Last edited:
I've always used a MFJ-259xx series analyzer. All I was interested in (at the time) was setting up antenna's, and once that was done I would usually sell it. However, I've owned the Comet Caa-500 for almost a year and it's very nice as well. It covers up to 500 MHz. Depending on which version of 259 you're looking at, it's coverage will vary.

I'll admit that I was hasty in my decision to buy the Comet, and had I thought about it longer I may have bought either a used MFJ-259, or the RigExpert model that let's you store results on your computer.

I used the Comet a couple times to setup mobile antennas, but I use it daily to tune my Magnetic loop (and that makes for a very expensive MLA SWR readout)

If you're in a hurry I guess *NEW* is the fastest option, however I've seen various used MFJ-259's (over the past 10 months) go for $125-$200, and the Comet for about $275. Whichever one you pick will probably do exactly what you want it to. ;)

I don't know if you saw it, but there's another post that has some legs on it about what antenna analyzer to buy -

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/recommend-an-antenna-analyzer.250957/page-1#post-700695

Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Rwb
Look into Rig Expert brand. Well made, easy & intuitive to use. Better IMO than any MFJ, costs less than a Comet, comes with a protective weather case for use outdoor. Will give measurement length of coax, length, Smith chart & way more. Nice large color display that is easy to see even in daylight.

Reactions: L2, Rwb and TIN_CAN
MFJ 259B I've had about 20 years, and for VHF/UHF (UHF ham and GMRS, primarily) a RigExpert AA-650 Zoom. Spend more on antennas, coax, connectors, adapters, ferrites, antenna tuners, and antenna analyzers than on the radios. Thought I had a radio hobby, turns out I have an antenna hobby.

The deeper into the swamp, the faster those copper vines grow around one.

I have a MFJ259. It's an early version, no letter designation, but it does what I need it to do. I don't use it too much, but it's nice to be able to test and adjust SWR without having to attach a radio and keying up. It gives a nice quick test. Of course it does a lot more, but I haven't found myself using it for much other than playing around finding coax length without measuring...another toy to play with.

I checked a neighbors truck antenna as the radio he had blew the finals. It gave me a quick test to see if it had a bad SWR or open or whatever, without having to attach a radio and key up possibly harming the radio again. Turned out it was OK.

MFJ products have a mixed bag of reviews, but I think in this instance, at least for my purposes, the MFJ works just fine.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Old topic but must reply.
I Have owned several different antenna analyzers.
First was MFJ 259 and 269.
Then Comet Caa-500 and i liked a lot.
Comet was better then MFJ.
But then i started to build 4G yagis and need high freq.
I bought AAI N1201SA 34-2700MHz and AAI N2021BA 1-200MHz vector antenna analyzers.
Battery last very long time and accuracy is duperb.
After few years of use both works fine.
Few month ago i bought LiteVNA 64.
50kHz - 6.3GHz.
LiteVNA is not easiest to use.
Some reason battery wont last at all.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated