• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna for an apartment dweller

Shellcracker

Feb 18, 2019
Greetings, all. I am new to radio, both CB and amateur radio service. I received my Technician license last May, and have been reading catalogs and equipment reviews for several months. I have already purchased my first VHF/UHF and HF radios, but I am looking for an antenna that is apartment friendly, I do not have a balcony to mount the MFJ-1622, MFJ-1623, or MFJ-1625. The MFJ-1621 seems to be the best option for my purposes. I have seen mixed reviews for this item on eham and various merchant websites.

I would appreciate any input on this item, as well as suggestions for alternatives.

Many Thanks!

Jim

Reactions: Slowmover

Magnetic loop in apartment to transmit? GL on that.
Shellcracker: If you have no space for antennas consider other hobby. Maybe go out of town, set some antennas on the top of hill and enjoy.
Radiation RF field in apartment is bad idea, especially from magnetic loop if you do not want start transmiting 6 feet deep soon.
Mike

Reactions: TheRATT and w9cll
Mag loop is not feasible for apartment. 2 meter is covered with N9TAX slim Jim for local work. I can hang just outside in a tree as long as I take it down when done with radio. Mobile will be covered when get new Yaesu 857 in spring. Current 10 meter is Galaxy DX99v2. I do have a location to place the MFJ-1621, but I want opinions about the antenna.

Thanks!

Jim

Reactions: Riverman
You could try running a wire around the perimeter of the room above the windows.
Did that when i lived in an apt. not the greatest but it got me on the air.
Good Luck

Thanks for all the ideas stated in the thread. I also spoke with a local ham who is Product Evaluator for GigaParts, and he says the MFJ-1621 is good enough for the local HF ten meter net. Gonna look for other places to use for DX like sp5it suggested.

Shellcracker

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.