• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna for Wouxun UV3D

KC2ZPK

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Dec 15, 2010
I was wondering if there is a better flexible antenna for the Wouxun UV3D. I have the 144/444 version and would like a little better range. I am looking for something with a BNC mount as I have the BNC adapter .

Thanks
John

Just about anything taller will work better. Comet generally makes pretty decent HT antennas. I've replaced the Kenwood TH-D72 with a Comet and have had pretty good success.

I'm not sure how big of an antenna you want, but try the Comet BNC-24. That should make a difference (y)

pappy.gif
It has a pretty good rating: Reviews Summary for Comet SMA-24 HT Antenna - Average rating: 4.5/5

If the antenna supplied with the "3" model is the same as that on the "2" model, it isn't a bad antenna at all. I can certainly understand wanting to get more out of the radio though.
Something to try before buying another antenna is to just add a counterpoise to your existing one. You might be surprised at the difference in performance, I was. From my front porch, hitting the local repeater (about 5 miles away, hills etc.) was "iffy". After adding the 'tail', the counterpoise, it was a easy 'hit'.
That counterpoise, "tail", is just a length of wire about 19 inches long connected to the 'ground' terminal of the antenna. Unscrew the antenna, wrap the conductor around the 'threads' of the connector, screw that antenna back down. In effect, you now have a vertical 1/2 wave dipole. Well, on 2 meters, anyway. It seems to work well on 70 cm too.
Later, I found a skinny piece of metal that would 'fit' under the antenna to do the 'connecting' with, didn't break that wire quite as easily. Someone used to make a "tail" like this for HTs, wish I could find one...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.