• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Grounding on semi tractor

Treefork

Dec 12, 2011
Indiana
Hey guys, another question. Grounding this antenna. Do I need a ground wire and where? My swr on radio meter is around 1.5. It's a wilson 5/8 wave 1000w just needed something better than stock.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406729498.407979.jpg

Also any paint or coating that can be removed, take it to bare metal and use a little bit of no-ox. Not too much, just a very light coat of no-ox will keep the bare metal from rusting.

Hey guys, another question. Grounding this antenna. Do I need a ground wire and where? My swr on radio meter is around 1.5. It's a wilson 5/8 wave 1000w just needed something better than stock.

You need to throw that mount in the bin and get the antenna on the cab. No amount of ground wires are going to make up for it.

The groundplane starts where the shield connects to the antenna mount and its the amount of metal underneath the antenna that matters, not what is alongside it. Mounting it on the mirror bracket like that, you've effectively got no groundplane and the whole thing is quite lossy. Putting ground straps on it doesn't compensate.

Whilst adding a ground wire might make a good ground for DC it is piss poor to the point of worthlessness for RF.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.