• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna model

I have some models. Before I get into them, you should read the full post before just taking them for what you see. They are far enough outside of my expectations that I am questioning the results myself...

The first of each pair of models is from the point of view of the side, and the second from the point of view of looking down on it from above.

So starting with free space.

[photo=large]6744[/photo][photo=large]6745[/photo]

These are free-space numbers, and I want to stop and put these in perspective. A 10-meter band three element yagi in free-space tuned for absolute maximum gain will get 8.4 dBi forward gain, if tuned for optimal it will get about 7.7 dBi gain, and if tuned for low SWR it will get 7.2 dBi gain. This is directly out of the 23'rd edition of the ARRL Antenna Book. Unfortunately they didn't include a 2 element yagi design. In another chart, an optimal (note this isn't max gain but optimal setup) 10 meter 2 element yagi is still putting out close to 6.5 dBi free-space gain. As this model is only showing about 5 dB of gain (a little under), and the reference model is close in frequency relatively speaking, this is a fair comparison. At least as far as free-space is concerned, I would see this antenna model under-performing compared to a straight two element yagi, and without the benefits of the optimal setup of said yagi.

Next at 10 feet above average earth.

[photo=large]6750[/photo][photo=large]6751[/photo]

20 ft

[photo=large]6748[/photo][photo=large]6749[/photo]

And 30 ft

[photo=large]6746[/photo][photo=large]6747[/photo]

So, in free-space where I have the third party reputable source I referenced above for comparison, its not really that great. The number for being over an earth, well, even a 1/4 wavelength vertical omnidirectional antenna can be mounted high enough to show over 10dBi of gain, so take that information for what its worth.

That, however, doesn't mean that this antenna won't work well. There is more to antenna performance than just gain, but if it were me I would stick with a standard two element yagi.

All that being said, I do think it is an interesting antenna design. Where most people jump straight to "yagi", the first thing I though of was "end-fire array". While both of these setups have the same goal, that is more gain in one direction, it seems that someone tried to combine both of these very different setups, which also have very different requirements for things like spacing and element lengths and such, and because of these different requirements I think the results suffer. That being said, I wonder if there is a setup where this type of combination can be made to work... It is worth experimenting with when I get the time... I actually have a few ideas just thinking off the top of my head...

The DB

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The distance between the emelents was a question I had. By changing thee spacing the lobes should change. Interesting results to say the least. I am the someone who combined the yagi and phased 2 element. Quite by accident. But the match was so good I was currious. Thank you for this. I've not moved it above the ground yet but plan to soon.

At 10ft average ground it almost had a omni horizontal pattern dosent it? Horz even at 30 has a very open back end yes? If I'm understanding the plot? Is there a take off angle for these specific plots?

The angle of radiation for the 10 foot high antenna is 45 degrees, the 20 foot high antenna is about 25 degrees, and the 30 foot high antenna is 17 degrees. All this being said, I think to many people focus to much on this stat. There are far better things to focus on. This angle, in and of itself, really tells you very little about how well an antenna performs. Its just an easy thing to grab on to.

The 10 foot high antenna is closer than the rest to an omni, but that is more of an effect of the earth than the antenna.

Open back end on the 30? You will have to elaborate on this for me.

When it comes to layout, I would think that as the yagi is the dominant part, at least as far as gain is concerned, which you seem to be the most interested in, that starting with the yagi dimensions and fitting in the phasing as best you can would get you better results.

The DB

Reactions: AudioShockwav
The 30ft, I was wondering, that's 30ft above the ground. Correct? At that height the left side of the plot would be the back end of the beam. Correct? If so then it's not a tight rejection is what I was meaning. It would still hear well enough to spin around

The gain is of course important to me. But a small lightweight small wind load easy to assemble horz beam that had good abilities.

Similar. Look closely and you'll see theres no matching cap and the driven side is isolated completly from the grounded sides unlike a standard gamma match system
I thought I've seen a variety that had no gamma, but used a phasing jumper from opposite sides of the two elements that drove both dipoles. It used only the cap...

Ok rebuilt it. Lost the fake gamma match wires, legenthened mast to 60 inches between elements, added tuning stubs to opposing elements. 15ft horz off the ground the analizer looks awesome.

Now, I have a metal roof......how bad is that gonna jack me up? I'll have to me how high to clear that interference? 30ft over the roof?

Last edited:
Reactions: HomerBB
Tuned it over ground 30ft or so up. Moved to to house so its half over the metal roof. By say 20ft. It changed my impedance from 50ohms to 60ohms or so. Raised swr from 1.02 to 1.24 or so. Of course I didnt log everything. I'll retune when I put a small rotor on it. Using a field strength meter in a stationary location and turning the beam by hand, the front shows a 4 and the back a 1. Not bad. Show resonance all through the hf bands in what I'm sure is harmonics yet more agreeable than my groundplane. I'll attach some pics showing 7 to 35 mhz in 10mhz gaps. Becomes perfectly resonant many times through that span. Of course now theres no skip rolling.....figures

Attachments

• 20211229_152357.jpg
    20211229_152357.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20211229_150355.jpg
    20211229_150355.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 20211229_150355.jpg
    20211229_150355.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211229_152338.jpg
    20211229_152338.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20211229_150025.jpg
    20211229_150025.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211229_150259.jpg
    20211229_150259.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
  • 20211229_150326.jpg
    20211229_150326.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: HomerBB
With new design I'm sitting here with scans using the vna. I've some tweaking left to do because of the metal roof. I'm currious of the gain throughout each band compared to the 11m that was modeled. I'll change the resistance first then recheck the different band effects. Its harmonics I know causing the multiple resonances and I've never checked another horz beam for resonance ranges but its neat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.