• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna rotor

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
How hard does it really have to be to just walk into a store front and buy a tv antenna rotor? Just one of the old click click click 3 or 4 wire ones? Just a little tan box that sits on top of a pipe and turns a tiny antenna?? Does any store even carry them anymore?

Reactions: whiteastro

Why would they carry them now? Seriously. Most TV is delivered via satellite, cable, or HD over-the-air if you are lucky enough to live near a major city. Small TV type rotators are still out there, shortages aside, but the demand is very low.

Reactions: murdog
How hard does it really have to be to just walk into a store front and buy a tv antenna rotor? Just one of the old click click click 3 or 4 wire ones? Just a little tan box that sits on top of a pipe and turns a tiny antenna?? Does any store even carry them anymore?

If you find a good place to buy one please post it. I'm 71 YO and have been receiving Over the Air TV forever. Why pay for something you can get for Free unless your a boob tube boob. My signals come from about 25-40 miles away and different directions so I could pick up more stations if I had a rotor. I just haven't much time to investigate a source. I only watch TV for a 2-3 hrs. a night as I'm laying in bed getting ready for sleep. Maybe I'll look some more and let you know what I find. I've seen them but don't remember where.

I have stations coming from two directions also. Here's a thought, I put two antennas up( one in each direction) with a two into 1 splitter type, works great.
No rotation needed and makes the channel scan quicker.
A buddy had been through this so he told me what to get. I might have a link or box to pass to ya if interested.

I just checked Walmart.com and they have 3 different rotors priced $125-280. I already have 2ea Channel Master 8 bow tie antennas pointed slightly different to the south but if I use a rotor I could pick up more stations to the North of me. It's winter so it might be worth it and I'm getting Younger. LOL All info gladly accepted !

Aah I see, yep more stations are better.
That's amazing getting younger, must be the supplements advertised on tv, haha

No need for a rotor to get TV signals from two or three different directions...Just get a Omni directional antenna and be done with it...

Welcome to the 21st Century!:D
iu

No need for a rotor to get TV signals from two or three different directions...Just get a Omni directional antenna and be done with it...

Welcome to the 21st Century!:D
iu

I have 1 of those omnis for my van if I travel but here in these rugged tree covered hills of PA they would be deficient. I even use Channel Masters best antenna booster. Flat Landers are a luck bunch for reception. But there is something about these beautiful Endless Mountains area that has kept us here for years.

Last edited:
As per your first post you said you were looking for a TV antenna rotor to turn a tiny antenna as some ham operators do, that's why I posted a source. ( Which by the way I ordered one from Walmart.com ) Things aren't like the old days. Local stores only handle items they sell a lot of like Captain Kilowatt said so you have to be prepared to order Online or go to a specialty store and have them order it for you. The market has changed !

Last edited:
I think RCA is the only company that has the light duty rotors anymore.

https://www.rcaantennas.net/search/?ks=rotator
You might be right on that ! In my search yesterday I got the impression that Channel Master might be getting out of the rotor market. Which is surprising because I hear a lot of Cutting the Cord. 46 years of not paying a cable bill has bought me a lot of toys and in retirement it is 1 less bill to worry about. That's why I have so many radios. LOL Everybody has different priorities, for me TV isn't so important. But I don't have a Wife and kids to please either. Thank God it's still a free Country !

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Well I ordered my rotor from Walmart on 1-1-22 and received it today on 1-4-22. Can't get over how fast it came. It probably would handle a small radio beam antenna. It's going to turn 2 large 8 bow tie antennas for me but they will be in the house out of the wind.

G-450A YAESU G450A 10 SQ FT ROTOR (rlham.com)

You get what you pay for...$150 every 4-5 years for (Light Duty/TV) rotor with no brake. Constantly requiring calibration, rocks back and forth in anything above a 10-mph wind (causes signal distortion). Just made zero since to me anymore.
I have a $160, NEW Winegard 70 element antenna (15+ft. boom) to receive stations 35+ miles away. These stations, some of which are LP-DTV require every DB of signal to receive. The power reduction of the standard DTV channels since the changeover from analog makes it difficult from that distance to hold and lock the signal.
I got tired of dealing with junk rotors on the tower.
I installed 25 ft. Rohn 25G, with about 10ft of mast, mounted the new antenna at top (maybe 30+ feet). I also added a mast mounted pre-amp. I used the Yaesu rotor mounted on plate about 2 feet below top of tower. I get 60+ stations (about 45+ usable) (removing the religious and shopping stations:ROFLMAO::mad:)
I finally realized the futility of trying to "do it" on the cheap.
I recommend this rotor for ANY beam antenna 3 element and larger (HF/CB type) or any TV antenna with a boom (8ft.) or panel style larger than 2-3 ft across.
(Any antenna w 2.5 Sq. ft or larger wind load)

I will be replacing the 11-year-old 50-inch SONY XBR (atsc1.0 tuner) soon now that the locals have went to atsc 3.0 broadcasting (TRUE UHD).

ATSC 3.0: Everything You Need to Know About Broadcast TV's Next Big Thing | Digital Trends

Good luck with those "cheap rotors" made in CHINA (I think one Chinese company makes every brand now... (RCA/Channel Master/Philips etc.)
All the Best
Gary

G-450A YAESU G450A 10 SQ FT ROTOR (rlham.com)

You get what you pay for...$150 every 4-5 years for (Light Duty/TV) rotor with no brake. Constantly requiring calibration, rocks back and forth in anything above a 10-mph wind (causes signal distortion). Just made zero since to me anymore
Good luck with those "cheap rotors" made in CHINA (I think one Chinese company makes every brand now... (RCA/Channel Master/Philips etc.)
All the Best
Gary

I agree you get what you pay for but I'm 71 YO and plan on being out of this house in a couple years and the rotor will be installed inside not exposed to the elements so I won't waste a lot of money on TV when TV is low on the Totem Pole for me. Mike Like they say ( Everybody to their own Notion )

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated