• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anti Seize For Antennas

wildchild455

Mar 19, 2006
I cant for the life of me remember the name of the product to use at the joints of a aluminum antennas to prevent the joints from seizing up in the weather............I dont know if this would work or not if anyone has a opinion on using bulb grease as a substitute. This thought just came to me about the blub grease. I have narrowed it down to 2 antennas the Maco V58 or the Sirio GPE 27 5/8 would like some opinions on them both

I've used silicon dielectric on antenna elements in the past, and it did it's job well.

This is in a desert climate, so i cannot speak to its effectiveness in other climates.
LC

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Go to AUTOZONE and get Anti-seize for cars with aluminum Heads. You have to use anti-seize on the sparkplugs or you end up galling the threads and have some expensive repair work ahead of you.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Silicone dielectric grease is good as well as Penetrox or Noalox all of which should be available at any decent home building supplies store. I have used all three and one seems to be as good as the other and none are as messing as anti-seize compound which seems to spread EVERYWHERE from a single drop. LOL
The first time I used it way, way back my mom said I looked like the Tin man from the Wizard of Oz.

The first time I used it way, way back my mom said I looked like the Tin man from the Wizard of Oz.
I cant for the life of me remember the name of the product to use at the joints of a aluminum antennas to prevent the joints from seizing up in the weather............I dont know if this would work or not if anyone has a opinion on using bulb grease as a substitute. This thought just came to me about the blub grease. I have narrowed it down to 2 antennas the Maco V58 or the Sirio GPE 27 5/8 would like some opinions on them both

I believe the product you are looking for is NO-ALOX, been using the stuff for years,
works great.....Mac

I believe most any electrical supply store caries it, also home depot, lowe's.....

Reactions: binrat and Mudfoot

Isn't it amazing how far a tiny bit will go. I end up in a mess every time I use it. Funny you should mention the Tin Man......my son is taking automotive repair and that is exactly what he says every time he goes to use it. "Well time to put on my Tim Man disguise" he says. :ROFLMAO:

These are the two that I use on ALL joints and connections. I prefer the Jet-Lube. It is Pure Copper. I have unwrapped joints after years of being in the weather, and after cleaning the Jet Lube off, the joints are still as pristine as the day I wrapped them with silicone coax wrap.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/jtl-12555
jtl-12555_ml.jpg

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-p8a
dxe-p8a_ml.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Silicone dielectric grease is good as well as Penetrox or Noalox all of which should be available at any decent home building supplies store. I have used all three and one seems to be as good as the other and none are as messing as anti-seize compound which seems to spread EVERYWHERE from a single drop. LOL

I wouldn't think dielectric grease would be a good choice because it is not conductive.
You want to use a good conductive product on all joints and connections.

I wouldn't think dielectric grease would be a good choice because it is not conductive.

Actually what you want is something that prevents oxidation and galling of the aluminum tubing. Been using silicone based dielectric grease on tubing and hardware used in high RF current areas for at least 20 years. Andrew supplies it with their heliax connectors for the threads as well as the O-rings so it must be suitable. Don't be fooled by the word "dielectric ".

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=...e_grease.htm&usg=AOvVaw1tNkm5w01lBZPX1dTENJ6i

Automotive and Aviation anti-sieze comes in two flavors for 85% of situations copper based and nickel based in some form of soap/grease base.There are more exotic things in use too but none of them are needed in this situation. Anything that seals the metal from O2 while allowing electrical signal to flow is fine. On nuts and bolts that are not being attacked chemically or by heat that do not need to carry a signal even something mundane like Depount Silicone Vaccum grease would work since we just need to keep air from forming oxides on the alloy. The problem is one of time all of these will wash out with time and dry out with time. There are also conductive greases made by companies like De-Ox-It. Just gotta use the right chemical for the right job.

It is exactly what you want. Not conductive, highly moisture resistant, and remains pliable for years. The anti-seize IS conductive and should not be used around the connector of the antenna. It is strictly for use in mechanical connections.
If you put it into your connectors you will be replacing transistors.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.