• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any Suggestions For A Good Speaker System...

I have never had an issue with mine or any of the countless i have sold over the last 30 yrs

Yeah....Klipsch makes some high quality equipment.....my friend bought a pair of klipsch heresy speakers back in 1974 and he is still using them.(y)
I cannot find the klipsch promedia 2.1 pc speakers at my usual sources....tiger/newegg.....and I won't pay worstbuy's prices. :D

So do you have to run the receiver in mono setting?

theres several ways to wire a pc to a home theatre amp,

best of all is to fit a dolby digital/dts (or hd versions if you have/want a 7.1 ch system) card to your pc with an optical output, same way you would if wiring a dvd player.

another is to take the original soundcards output, many of which were switchable to give you 5.1 channel output via the ext spkr/headphone output,mike input and line in sockets (blue pink green) although you would need a theatre amp with an analogue 5.1 ch input (many older and some top end amps have this input)

another way would be to run the pc's headphone/ext speaker via a 3.5mm to 2 phono plug adaptor and just connect it to the amps stereo inputs,from there you could run pseudo surround sound like dolby pro logic. just be carefull you don't overdrive the amps input by having the pc's sound set too high, set the amp for normal sound level, and adjust pc volume from low until you get adequate volume with no distortion, distortion is a warning your over driving the amp, the cure is obvious.

coupled with a 40 inch plus screen with a pc input (or even better hdmi if your pc is hdmi capable), and a decent home theater amp with good speakers, your pc becomes a jukebox/video library.

i personally use my media pc through a 40 inch sony lcd, a jvc rx6001 amp (an old faithfull workhorse) and a set of mission m34,m3ds,m3c2 and m3as, sounds sweet as a nut, f@ck i can even plug mp3's players via the telly,pc or ps3 usb sockets and get decent sound from them too (taking into account they are ripped at a high bit rate)

another bonus is install mame ((multi arcade machine emulator) in your pc and you also have the biggest 80/90's amusement arcade in your living room, add a few modern games consoles and your kids need a good slap if they come out with the i'm bored shit.

i used to dream of shit like that while i was banging two bob (10p) coins in those arcade machines in the 80's, call of duty/ assasins creed may well be buzzing, but nothing beats moon cresta.

moon-cresta-scr-2.png

Last edited:
Why are most computer speakers 1 way speaker...I want 2 way speaker?

if you want a quality 2 way system, look for a quality new or second hand hifi amp (rotel,denon,yamaha etc) and a pair of quality hifi speakers (mission,kef,b&w etc), those pc speaker systems are shit by comparison.

use a decent quality interconnect, you don't need to spend hundreds, even basic upgrades from manufacturer supplied leads can make a surprising difference.

you can also add a subwoofer to a stereo setup if it has speaker level input/outputs. you could even wire your cb through it, but rf breakthrough might be a problem depending on your choice of setup.

magnetically shielded speakers (most good quality home cinema speakers) are the way to go.

if you want a quality 2 way system, look for a quality new or second hand hifi amp (rotel,denon,yamaha etc) and a pair of quality hifi speakers (mission,kef,b&w etc), those pc speaker systems are shit by comparison.

use a decent quality interconnect, you don't need to spend hundreds, even basic upgrades from manufacturer supplied leads can make a surprising difference.

you can also add a subwoofer to a stereo setup if it has speaker level input/outputs. you could even wire your cb through it, but rf breakthrough might be a problem depending on your choice of setup.

magnetically shielded speakers (most good quality home cinema speakers) are the way to go.

Thanks for all the great info. :)

Have you ever listened to a pair of powered M-Audio Studiophile BX5a studio monitors....I wonder how they sound?

i picked up a Sony str DE597
hooked up the center then the front left and right then the rear left and right
on the input i got a 1/8 inch stereo plug that turns to the RCA left and right plug
and i had a small 12 powered sub
it can be a little to much at times but when i need it i can turn the dial

I would like to have your set-up.....that 12 sub must really put out the bass.

Thanks for all the great info. :)

Have you ever listened to a pair of powered M-Audio Studiophile BX5a studio monitors....I wonder how they sound?

your welcome, i hadn't heard of those, to be honest i prefer passive speaker systems with a decent seperate amp, as for bi amping, i'm not so sure either that or bi wiring offers any advantage over a single two core conductor. as for studiophile, that sounds like smoke and mirrors to me, (a bit like audio gain, superwhackpacks, A99 9.9dbi gain etc) especially at the price i see them selling for. they look more like high end pc speakers than hifi or studio monitors.

with hifi the only limitation is the depth of your wallet, but like cb and ham radio you very quickly reach a point of diminishing return per pound/dollar spent, at the bottom of the range every bit extra helps, but as you get to midrange equipment, you find the same size of financial increase brings a lot less performance increase, most average people would struggle to hear the difference between a midrange system and a high end one, but most will easily tell the difference between a cheap system and a mid priced one. same applies to speaker cables and interconnects.

even very moderately priced denon, yamaha or pioneer amps give excellent surround sound on mid priced speaker systems. rotel also make excellent gear but is a tad higher priced.

the amp i bought, jvc rx6001 cost two hundred quid (half the new price) as an new but end of line product around 2000 (was a bit stoned around then so dates are a touch hazy) and is used virtually everyday for tv, video games, internet and movies, it sounds as good today as when i first bought it, its never had any faults, its very basic but does the job exceptionally well, and is surprisingly good at playing stereo music, best 200 notes i ever spent.

amp.jpg

back.jpg

modern pioneer,yamaha and denon equivalents under £500 are much better connection wise but sound very similar.

your welcome, i hadn't heard of those, to be honest i prefer passive speaker systems with a decent seperate amp, as for bi amping, i'm not so sure either that or bi wiring offers any advantage over a single two core conductor. as for studiophile, that sounds like smoke and mirrors to me, (a bit like audio gain, superwhackpacks, A99 9.9dbi gain etc) especially at the price i see them selling for. they look more like high end pc speakers than hifi or studio monitors.

with hifi the only limitation is the depth of your wallet, but like cb and ham radio you very quickly reach a point of diminishing return per pound/dollar spent, at the bottom of the range every bit extra helps, but as you get to midrange equipment, you find the same size of financial increase brings a lot less performance increase, most average people would struggle to hear the difference between a midrange system and a high end one, but most will easily tell the difference between a cheap system and a mid priced one. same applies to speaker cables and interconnects.

even very moderately priced denon, yamaha or pioneer amps give excellent surround sound on mid priced speaker systems. rotel also make excellent gear but is a tad higher priced.

the amp i bought, jvc rx6001 cost two hundred quid (half the new price) as an new but end of line product around 2000 (was a bit stoned around then so dates are a touch hazy) and is used virtually everyday for tv, video games, internet and movies, it sounds as good today as when i first bought it, its never had any faults, its very basic but does the job exceptionally well, and is surprisingly good at playing stereo music, best 200 notes i ever spent.

amp.jpg

back.jpg

modern pioneer,yamaha and denon equivalents under £500 are much better connection wise but sound very similar.

Nice receiver(y)
I have been looking for a used one on craigslist.....but the fools around here are asking rip-off prices for 10yr old surround sound receivers.
Are all stereo receivers set up for home theater now?

I mostly listen to music.....which AV receiver would be best for me....most do not have bass and treble knobs that I have seen?

Ok I got a Pioneer vsx 1014tx k receiver and the cable to hook it up to my computer....question is which jacks on the back of the receiver do you plug the rca jacks into?

Also I need a users manual for it.

I got the Pioneer hooked up to my pc and jamming to all my golden oldies....the receiver came with a set of Infinity book-shelf speakers.....they sound pretty good for my room.....the receiver is a big heavy unit....it took the place of one of my Trams.....I'm gonna get a subwoofer and that should do the trick. :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.