• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody use a Kenwood TM-V71A?

Yeah mine went in both directions no problem... got to be some kind of firmware or engineering change over time.

Look what arrived today. Now to load the software and start playing.
20190218_121613.jpg

The messed up one would only cross band one direction.. like a-b but not b-a..

My current one goes both ways.. like vhf-uhf or uhf-vhf..

Works good with Comet 2x4sr antenna at 140-160 and 435-465. :)

I usually use the simplex UHF band on my handheld to a VHF repeater frequency on the TM-V71a mounted in the truck

Look what arrived today. Now to load the software and start playing. View attachment 28043

Nice, you'll be hearing the beedoop etc soon enough. :)

Also protip- at least as shipped, the memory bank in this radio is monolithic. EG, its not XXX channels per side, its like hundreds of channels all inclusive. So what I did is I started my UHF crap at like 200+ or something. At first I got confused by this but then it just made sense.

Also protip2 if you hold down MR with the radio scans (on the current selected band) The default scan option sucks though, it doesn't wait, its just a delay scan then it continues... so you have to change it in the menu.

I programmed the first 100 channels with repeaters and a few other frequencies used in my own province. I programmed the next 100 with repeaters used in Newfoundland which is where I plan to take a roadtrip to this summer. I will program the repeaters used in New Brunswick and PEI into another bank of 100. This way I can simply scan certain banks while on road trips. I will NEVER fill all 1000 memories unless I repeat some public service frequencies in each bank of 100 such as weather and frs/gmrs stuff.

Just playing with it for now. I have a bunch of memories programmed but right now it is just connected to a dummy load in the living room. I did connect it to my mobile antenna just to check the local repeater. I have no 2m/70cm ntenna installed on the house, they are coming this summer, and it is TOO COLD to mount it in the truck yet. Just trying to learn the ropes about it right now but so far it seems pretty decent.

Reactions: Steve_Buckeye
I'm happy with mine so far. I got some comments that I was really loud and didn't sound as natural as I did on the yaesu. Turning the mic sensitivity down helped.

I ended up adapting a shure sv100 to it and it sounds pretty good on the sdrplay. Audio reports are much better now. I've never had a desk mic for vhf/uhf before.

I will use it mobile 99% of the time. I have a Wavetek modulation/deviation meter to check and make sure the audio levels are where they should be including CTCSS injection levels. It is a pro piece of gear....model 401 IIRC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.