• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anybody use switching power supplies?

I have had two Megawatt in use for a few years now. One for the garage radio and one for the shack radio. I have had absolutely zero issues with them and at their price point I baught two more to have as backups.

Reactions: Tokin
The power supply itself can be had for about 20 bucks on ebay
Right, but then you need to fabricate or buy a breakout board and if you want more than 12 volts flat there are a couple mods that need to be done. The voltage mods need to be done to the supplys from parallel also which voids any warranty.
Im looking for an alternative to the $1500 xforce supplys which are nothing more than $500 worth of switchers, wires and a case.

Right, but then you need to fabricate or buy a breakout board and if you want more than 12 volts flat there are a couple mods that need to be done. The voltage mods need to be done to the supplys from parallel also which voids any warranty.
Im looking for an alternative to the $1500 xforce supplys which are nothing more than $500 worth of switchers, wires and a case.

But that is purely situational and is not an actual issue with Megawatt supplies. I personally have never needed a breakout board on any of my supplies and set my voltage at what is best for the radio and never have to touch it again.

Reactions: Greg T and Tokin
But that is purely situational and is not an actual issue with Megawatt supplies. I personally have never needed a breakout board on any of my supplies and set my voltage at what is best for the radio and never have to touch it again.
I was replying to what Dave457 had posted which was the supply itself can be found on ebay for $20. I believed he was talking about a server supply in which a breakout board would be very helpful and since they are only $10, fairly inexpensive and will save some time.
A megawatt supply isnt a server or computer supply that needs modifications for us to use. Its the same type of switching supply thats been engineered for our use with its own breakout board and the price is now $120 for those 50 amps instead of $40.
Now, im looking to run several 100 amp supplys in parallel and $216 + a few mods verses $900 for the same 320 amps is a no brainer in my book.

Reactions: Cam Tetzlaff
I was replying to what Dave457 had posted which was the supply itself can be found on ebay for $20. I believed he was talking about a server supply in which a breakout board would be very helpful and since they are only $10, fairly inexpensive and will save some time.
A megawatt supply isnt a server or computer supply that needs modifications for us to use. Its the same type of switching supply thats been engineered for our use with its own breakout board and the price is now $120 for those 50 amps instead of $40.
Now, im looking to run several 100 amp supplys in parallel and $216 + a few mods verses $900 for the same 320 amps is a no brainer in my book.

Copy that. Sorry for the confusion

Picked up one of these:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-441830-...437572-B21-438202-001-440785-001/174411023138

Any of these will do:HSTNS-PD11; 438202-002; 440785-001; 441830-001; DPS-1200FB A

And one of these (I am lazy):
https://www.parallelminer.com/produ...pter-compatible-with-hp-1200-watt-dps-1200fb/

Added a 100K and 22K resistor in the appropriate locations:
P1060036.JPG

Turned the POT by the 22K CCW to increase voltage and wound up with this:
P1060031.JPG

Checked and it can go to 14v. After the case was back on, there was <.01v difference. Voltage readout on breakout board was .3v low.

Recommend 1/8th watt resistors, 1/4 watt just add to the challenge.

110~120v @ 9.9A in = 13.8v @ 75A out continuous
200~240v @ 7.8A in = 13.8v @ 100A out continuous

Powersupply = $16.95 + $1.14 tax = $18.09
Breakout board (not required) = $9.99
100K and 22k Resistor = .10

Total component cost = $28.18
With out breakout board and additional SPST switch and 22k resistor = $19.24

Anyone have a clue what these PS are from? this the inside of a RD power 150amp PS one of them took a crap on me and the labels were peeled off. I I find out the model I will buy and replace it as it was a decent power supply when working.

CIMG0164.jpg

CIMG0162.jpg

CIMG0161.jpg

CIMG0163.jpg

Anyone have a clue what these PS are from? this the inside of a RD power 150amp PS one of them took a crap on me and the labels were peeled off. I I find out the model I will buy and replace it as it was a decent power supply when working.

CIMG0164.jpg

CIMG0162.jpg

CIMG0161.jpg

CIMG0163.jpg
Id drop 2 new ones in there. Look like hp possibly. Im sure someone could refit this with 2 new switchers.

Reactions: TIN_CAN

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated