• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone got any experience with a yc156 (3cx5000)?

rumrunner

"Yeah. I'm the one"
Apr 14, 2009
In the low country of S.C.
Been looking at toobs for my maul project and the yc156 kinda gives me wood. Its rated at 5kw but is a 15kw tube w/5kw cooler. (I'm told) They are available online used/tested less than $400. (I may have two available if the doofus ever makes up his mind to make the trade with me). The tube bolts to the chassis with no socket - BIG plus. Any ya'll got experience or comments on this firebottle? I gotta lot of radio/amp projects saved up for the winter so I'm gonna have lotsa questions! Thx ya'll - Rumrunner out....

Man, that is a VERY nice 6KW water cooled Dummy load!
Nice!

Jeff

Attachments

• water cooled dummy load.jpg
    water cooled dummy load.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 434
The YC-156 and it's cousin are pretty much, as you stated and heard, 3CX15,000s with a 5Kw anode cooler, AND A SMALLER GRID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep that in mind. It's like a 3CX5000, with the grid of an 8877! At half the price of said 8877, though :) With almost 4 times the diss :) yipee!!!!!!!!

It has a lot of Cout. Keep that in mind.... That being said, I've seen 4 play when the clown was too cheap to buy a 20K tube.

Like ALL indirectly heated cathode tubes, and small grid structure tubes, you HAVE to wait the warm up time, or you will REALLY lose emmisive capabilities fast... IE, you'll trash the tube quick.

Also, you REALLY want a ramp up on the fils. Check out Emtron's filament ramp up circuit... About the only thing I have seen I LIKE they do.... Slowly ramps up fils voltage over time.

You don't really need a parasitic suppressor on the tube... Even on 10 meters... Although having a bit of L in the anode line won't hurt, as I said, the tube has a bit of Cout.

The grid IS WEAK... BUT, if you can keep the CHASSIS cool, you benefit from the heat sink effect, and according to Reid Brandon and a few others, the effective Grid diss can be doubled, give or take a few percent, IF THE CHASSIS OF THE AMPLIFIER CAN BE KEPT SUFFICIENTLY COOL TO KEEP THE GRID COOL!!!!.

You can also blow more air through the tube by building a square air plenum box, instead of using an Eimac type round chimney. People using the 'other' YC156, the 6 Kw version have reported being able to Diss close to 10 Kw.... The anodes are the same, from what I can see.... It's all a matter of getting enough air through the fins of the tubes.

Hope that helps.

--Toll_Free

This would be a good tube to add some simple grid over current protection on. Think about using the voltage drop across the grid meter shunt resistor to drive an opto-coupler that is connected to a latching relay to lock out the amp in an over load condition. The few dollars in parts can save the final many times over. Pushing the grid reset button feels so much better then changing the tube. Using the right value glitch resistor in the anode B+ line can save many headaches too.

Much good info. Thankx, guys. I had always figured on the W4ZT board. It is a well designed time tested unit. I am still researching and looking at other's builds with the yc156. WV7U (thx for the link) has got a lot of info. If you have a chance, take a look at his build with the '156. Awesome! If anyone comes up with any other info or suggestions pls feel free to post it here. I'm still in hopes that someone that has built one will chime in! Thx again - Rumrunner out...

Just make sure you do bypass like recommended for those boards. i have seen what happens when rf getsinto that circuit if not. You will have to check links and either build one yourself or get one from another guy. W4ZT from my understanding passed away a few years back.

Much good info. Thankx, guys. I had always figured on the W4ZT board. It is a well designed time tested unit. I am still researching and looking at other's builds with the yc156. WV7U (thx for the link) has got a lot of info. If you have a chance, take a look at his build with the '156. Awesome! If anyone comes up with any other info or suggestions pls feel free to post it here. I'm still in hopes that someone that has built one will chime in! Thx again - Rumrunner out...

I've built a few 156 and 179 amps. Single and multiple. What exactly do you want to know, besides what I posted before?

--Toll_Free

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.