• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone have experience with Yeasu 726R?

Alan Blackmon

Apr 11, 2017
Boise Idaho
Local operator is selling his Yeasu 726R. He is said to take care of his equipment by another operator I spoke to about this radio. Anyway I was liking the general looks of the radio but wondered if anyone here has had any good or bad experience with this radio? It is an older unit so I am wondering if anyone is still using it?

https://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hammulti/ft726r.html
The Yaesu FT-726R multi-mode tri-band transceiver incorporates up to three-band modules covering the 50, 144, 430, 440 MHz amateur bands.
So depends on which modules it has. Low power rig like 10 watts,
It only came as 2m radio! Must have the 6m module IMHO... but still QRP rig

DTS tone code modules were an extra option( for repeater usage)
http://www.rigpix.com/yaesu/ft726r_manual.pdf
ft726r.jpg

I think several mainboard processor chips are on the unobtainable list?

Big Question is what does he think it's worth? $$$

Remember that rig is 30 (+) years old. (late production run was either late 1988 or early 1989)
Sorry, I can not give personal recommendations Alan never owned one. Later 736R version, yes but not the 26
All the Best
Gary

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/yaesu-726r.562569/

Did you like your 735R? I love the form factor on the 726R. Plus I love it does not have a ton of menu items to dig through. This may or may not be good as I begin my journey into VHF and UHF. Local repeaters are very close to me. I can see the mountain they are located from my front yard. This is the same mountain also being used by local TV and FM radio transmitters. Using a Kenwood TM-733 at low power on my DIY 2 meter vertical at 25 feet I was able to talk around town here quite easily on 146.52 simplex. So the 10 watts isn't a deal breaker for me. Thanks for your input BJ Radionut. You are as radiant as ever.

Local operator is selling his Yeasu 726R. He is said to take care of his equipment by another operator I spoke to about this radio. Anyway I was liking the general looks of the radio but wondered if anyone here has had any good or bad experience with this radio? It is an older unit so I am wondering if anyone is still using it?

I almost bought one several decades ago but a good friend talked me out of it (thank you-thank you). It seemed to be known for some quirky issues. IMHO anything over $300 is too much. For your foray into VHF I think you would be much happier with a used TS-711, TR-751, TM-255a (my favorite). For VHF/UHF, an Icom 706mkiig. With patience you can find any of those under $500.

With even more patience (and money) look for deals on the Kenwood TS-2000 and Yaesu FT-991a (I picked up my Ts-2000 for around $650).

I had a local friend with one & he hated it & another down the road who has had a dozen or more & he kind of likes them for an analog radio.He has went all digital now with those Anan radios & says he will never go back.Also it's a YAESU noy a YEASU since those are Mythical Radios since I have never seen even one YEASU but plenty of the YAESU radios. LOL {:>)

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: NZ8N
I almost bought one several decades ago but a good friend talked me out of it (thank you-thank you). It seemed to be known for some quirky issues. IMHO anything over $300 is too much. For your foray into VHF I think you would be much happier with a used TS-711, TR-751, TM-255a (my favorite). For VHF/UHF, an Icom 706mkiig. With patience you can find any of those under $500.

With even more patience (and money) look for deals on the Kenwood TS-2000 and Yaesu FT-991a (I picked up my Ts-2000 for around $650).

I have owned many 2 meter all mode radios including the ICOM 275H & 275A,271A, Kenwood 751A (4 of those),Kenwood 9130,ICOM 706,706 MK II,706 MK IIG,ICOM 746 (3 of those),ICOM 746 PRO (2 of those),ICOM 7000 (Same one 4 times),& my current Kenwood TS-2000.The TS-2000 does a little more than others but the best receiver was the Kenwood 751A though it was only a 2 meter all mode radio without all of the extra bands of others I listed.The best overall radio was the ICOM 7000 & I may buy another of those because it truly is a Special radio in many ways & given a choice if I could only own one Amateur radio it would be an ICOM 7000 hands down.

SIX-SHOOTER

Reactions: fogdog
Gee, I feel all alone, I have 2 726R's, one for use and the other as a parts donor. The "donor" rig I got for $150 mainly due to poor cosmetic condition.
It still operates because I haven't had to use any parts for my other rig.

The operating rig has be powered on 24/7 since about 1992 or so, except for normal power outages.

It is absolutely one of the BEST analog receivers that I have ever had.

Bear in mind, that this rig is designed for satellite ops, normally uplink on one band and downlink on another,.... FULL DUPLEX, CROSS BAND, CROSS MODE.

As in 10 meter SSB up and UHF FM down.

I don't operate on repeaters much, so 10 meter SSB and 2 meter SSB/FM simplex operations are the norm for me.

an external PL encoder (not a deal breaker, they are available and cheap) will be needed for most repeater usage.

Reactions: NZ8N
I have owned many 2 meter all mode radios including the ICOM 275H & 275A,271A, Kenwood 751A (4 of those),Kenwood 9130,ICOM 706,706 MK II,706 MK IIG,ICOM 746 (3 of those),ICOM 746 PRO (2 of those),ICOM 7000 (Same one 4 times),& my current Kenwood TS-2000.The TS-2000 does a little more than others but the best receiver was the Kenwood 751A though it was only a 2 meter all mode radio without all of the extra bands of others I listed.The best overall radio was the ICOM 7000 & I may buy another of those because it truly is a Special radio in many ways & given a choice if I could only own one Amateur radio it would be an ICOM 7000 hands down.

SIX-SHOOTER

Yep, the 751A definitely has/had a hot receiver, also, long ago I had a 275H, 375, 475H, and 575 side-by-side on one desk. That didn't last long. I ended up selling them one piece at a time to fund the purchase more HF gear :(.

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
I did buy the radio. To be honest I am glad I did. It is in really good shape. I have programmed all of the local repeaters into it that I can reach. There is only one that I seem not to be able to. Not sure if it is working really or if I can't reach it. The 10 watt output does not seem to be a limiting factor for me to reach the repeaters. I got to do a SOTA reply with it one weekend. I have a home-brew quarter wave antenna at 30 feet. Simplex operation distance has been a bit of a surprise to me. Audio quality is very good on both TX and RX. The radio may not be perfect in the reviews but it is perfect for me.

Reactions: NZ8N and Woody-202
Long use update on my purchase of this radio. It still is being used in my main shack. I had it in the corner of the garage for awhile and put in a Kenwood 722 and a Icom 5100 in the main shack for awhile. I missed the Yaesu 726R and put it back in the main shack. I did find a 2 meter amp and hooked it up to the 726. Honestly though I have only used it once.

I can reach all the local repeaters and one out at 75 miles. Simplex is great and only a few operators are a bit scratchy but they are out at 35 miles. I tried SSB with it and the signal from the scratchy operators at 35 miles improved dramatically. My present antenna is a home-brewed quarter wave. I had a comet CX-333 up for awhile but honestly the difference between it and my quarter wave really isn't that great. Most repeaters are the same, one is a bit lower in signal but still very good and one repeater actually came in better with the quarter wave. The nearest of all the repeaters is 7ish miles. Farthest out is 75 miles.

Anyway I still am happy I bought the radio. Later I bought a desk mic for it and it looks as cool as the radio. If you have looked at this radio and it is in working shape don't be afraid of it. I have not had any strange quirks using it in FM mode. I don't do CW or SSB with it except for the once. I use it with commercial power and am thinking of building the battery cord for it just in case I may need it.

73 everyone AB7XX.

Reactions: NZ8N and Riverman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.