• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone help with bleeding

Back in the bad old days of analog cable TV, I would use a 19-inch TV across the room from the radio as a "bleed" monitor. Theory was that if my radio didn't disturb my TV it shouldn't mess with the neighbors' TVs.

Modulation is often a bigger influence than wattage. Modulating past 100 percent is what every base operator seems to want, but I wired the radio's internal modulation trimpot to a control with a knob on the radio's front panel. You can set this radio's modulation limiter from the front panel anywhere from 25 percent to wide open.

Got in the habit of setting this adjustment by watching the TV. I would turn it down just below where the picture stopped being affected.

If a neighbor complained, I would ask what channel he's watching. Selected that channel on our TV and invited him to some see that my picture isn't being disturbed when I transmit.

The wacky part of this was that the radio is a Saturn Turbo. Wouldn't show more than about 100 Watt peaks with the modulation limiter set to the "neighbor-friendly" modulation level. Tried it with my modified Dentron MLA amplifier. Would blow 2500 Watt peaks with the audio wide open. When I turned the modulation limiter down below the interference level it dropped to bout 1700.

The locals would argue about whether or not I was barefoot. The 'test' was to drop down one or up one channel to see if I would "splash" his receiver on modulation peaks. Turning down the modulation kept the radio narrowed down to just one channel, even at 1700 Watts peak.

I would never reveal whether or not I was barefoot. When asked if I was amplified I would answer "Who are you kidding?".

Not really an answer, but they would stop asking.

Back in the bad old days of analog cable TV, I would use a 19-inch TV across the room from the radio as a "bleed" monitor. Theory was that if my radio didn't disturb my TV it shouldn't mess with the neighbors' TVs.

Modulation is often a bigger influence than wattage. Modulating past 100 percent is what every base operator seems to want, but I wired the radio's internal modulation trimpot to a control with a knob on the radio's front panel. You can set this radio's modulation limiter from the front panel anywhere from 25 percent to wide open.

Got in the habit of setting this adjustment by watching the TV. I would turn it down just below where the picture stopped being affected.

If a neighbor complained, I would ask what channel he's watching. Selected that channel on our TV and invited him to some see that my picture isn't being disturbed when I transmit.

The wacky part of this was that the radio is a Saturn Turbo. Wouldn't show more than about 100 Watt peaks with the modulation limiter set to the "neighbor-friendly" modulation level. Tried it with my modified Dentron MLA amplifier. Would blow 2500 Watt peaks with the audio wide open. When I turned the modulation limiter down below the interference level it dropped to bout 1700.

The locals would argue about whether or not I was barefoot. The 'test' was to drop down one or up one channel to see if I would "splash" his receiver on modulation peaks. Turning down the modulation kept the radio narrowed down to just one channel, even at 1700 Watts peak.

I would never reveal whether or not I was barefoot. When asked if I was amplified I would answer "Who are you kidding?".

Not really an answer, but they would stop asking.

The modulation pot on the front of the radio sounds like a lot of fun. Haha.

Reactions: 2NC995
A little off subject..but going the exact other way is also a blast in a mobile.
A clipped overdriven square way radio into a high power class c amp.
Just keep turning up the mic gain till something in your local area feedsback..turn down mic if a modulated flame emits from the tip of your antenna..its a dead give away.
Get close to your local McDonalds (or equivalent) for best results.

Lol. I thought it was all fun and games years ago until I bled all over a neighbor’s TV during the Super Bowl. Funny...he didn’t want to talk about TV filters or any of that mess.

He had something in his pocket, or maybe his right hand was cold...pretty sure he had something in his pocket.

IF you still having a problem with your radio equipment bleeding over onto headphones, get a ferrite bead and make a couple loops through it with the headphones cord...problem solved..

Had this problem with my daughters headphones, and once i placed a snap-on ferrite bead on the cord, problem solved...

If its with cordless headphones, I have no answer for that...get your kids headphones with a cord!

Lol. I thought it was all fun and games years ago until I bled all over a neighbor’s TV during the Super Bowl. Funny...he didn’t want to talk about TV filters or any of that mess.

He had something in his pocket, or maybe his right hand was cold...pretty sure he had something in his pocket.

A .25 Seecamp Auto
Source of that persistent itch you felt for a week afterwards.

I’d imagine you remember that old joke:

A man is shown a .25 (.32, .380, etc) by its owner, and his reaction is, “best be careful how you use it. Shoot somebody during a bar fight — and if they notice it — that’s liable to make ‘em really mad”.

Along with
The five cent cigar
The five dollar steak

We could use

The indestructible $150 .25 Pepperbox

Which they will notice.

To take it back to “cheap enough to abuse or lose”.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.