• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone here REALLY know Texas Stars?

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
I think I pushed her just a bit too hard. Not sure, but she let out the magic smoke. Took out a couple of resistors and what I think may be chokes. (I'm not a tech) Anyhow, I need this repaired in a timely manner if someone can do it. Pics are below.

Attachments

• 20231230_154610.JPG
    20231230_154610.JPG
    770 KB · Views: 59
  • 20231230_154734.JPG
    20231230_154734.JPG
    805.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231230_154804.JPG
    20231230_154804.JPG
    554.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 20231230_154839.JPG
    20231230_154839.JPG
    755.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20231230_155157.JPG
    20231230_155157.JPG
    789.6 KB · Views: 60

Just from looking at the pictures the balancing resistor on the output combiner is smoked because the two 2879's on the front board let go, the 10 ohms are toast on those two.
That is what smokes the combiner.
Who to fix?
@Ranch55 maybe?

I keep my 500 below 400 peak just so it lives longer.

Jeff

Reactions: walterjn and Greg T
This looks to be a later model 500V Texas Star.......
The Texas Star amplifiers are not very complicated to work on...
Splitter and combiner failure definitely indicates a major failure.....
Minimum, its looks it will require a complete set (4) power transistors, new combiner, possibly new splitter.
Also 4 new 10 ohm bias resistors and the 1.8 ohm bias resistors......
A few capacitors will also need to be checked for proper value.......

I am not a certified technician, but I do all my own repairs on amplifiers and transceivers (except for the very small surface mount components).
I do not do any repairs for payment, only for cost of parts, plus shipping.
I also do all my testing on a Palstar 2.5KW dummy load, not on an antenna.

This looks to be a later model 500V Texas Star.......
The Texas Star amplifiers are not very complicated to work on...
Splitter and combiner failure definitely indicates a major failure.....
Minimum, its looks it will require a complete set (4) power transistors, new combiner, possibly new splitter.
Also 4 new 10 ohm bias resistors and the 1.8 ohm bias resistors......
A few capacitors will also need to be checked for proper value.......

I am not a certified technician, but I do all my own repairs on amplifiers and transceivers (except for the very small surface mount components).
I do not do any repairs for payment, only for cost of parts, plus shipping.
I also do all my testing on a Palstar 2.5KW dummy load, not on

Well, is it something you'd feel comfortable fixing? This may be a stupid question, but, I would assume you'd use four matching transistors?

Just from looking at the pictures the balancing resistor on the output combiner is smoked because the two 2879's on the front board let go, the 10 ohms are toast on those two.
That is what smokes the combiner.
Who to fix?
@Ranch55 maybe?

I keep my 500 below 400 peak just so it lives longer.

Jeff
Thanx, Jeff. Much appreciated.

Yes, and it would have to be the HG brand transistors, The DEI's that Texas Star uses is no longer available........
You can look on ICA Manufacturing to get an idea of the transistors cost...... plus shipping costs.......
No point in me looking up prices unless you want me to order them and send them along. Up to you. It has to be fixed one way or another.

Greg, I'm sorry for your loss my friend. Magic smoke is never something we like to see.....

Just FYI, gatekeeper is running a sale and if you buy four of them he also makes sure they are all matched.

I don't know what they cost elsewhere but from him right now they're 23 bucks each. I only know because I won a giveaway and went ahead and bought extras just to have for my 500v.

Greg, I'm sorry for your loss my friend. Magic smoke is never something we like to see.....

Just FYI, gatekeeper is running a sale and if you buy four of them he also makes sure they are all matched.

I don't know what they cost elsewhere but from him right now they're 23 bucks each. I only know because I won a giveaway and went ahead and bought extras just to have for my 500v.
Thanx much. I already sent him a text but didn't receive a response yet. I'll try calling him tomorrow if I don't hear something by noon. I knew I was pushing it a bit hard for the DEIs but I thought I would have a little warning before it crapped the bed. LOL.

Condolances on the amp Greg! I've been there, and as Eldorado said above, it's not a good feeling when the magic smoke comes out..............
Here's hoping somebody here can make it as good as new again !

Reactions: Greg T
Condolances on the amp Greg! I've been there, and as Eldorado said above, it's not a good feeling when the magic smoke comes out..............
Here's hoping somebody here can make it as good as new again !

Thanx much!! I already ordered the pills and should have them next week. I'm hoping @Ranch55 can pull me out!

I just recently repaired a TS 500V for a good friend out in Arizona.
He and I were able to scrape up a good used original set of Toshiba transistors.
He had hit his with too much input drive also. Took out the transistors, some resistors, and a couple of capacitors.
He is a happy camper now. I advised him to be easy on it as there will not be any more Toshiba's............
I always lift the boards to inspect the underside.......

I just recently repaired a TS 500V for a good friend out in Arizona.
He and I were able to scrape up a good used original set of Toshiba transistors.
He had hit his with too much input drive also. Took out the transistors, some resistors, and a couple of capacitors.
He is a happy camper now. I advised him to be easy on it as there will not be any more Toshiba's............
I always lift the boards to inspect the underside.......

I got 2879s ordered from Gatekeeper. Says they will ship on Tuesday. If you want to PM me your shipping info I'll get the package ready to ship as soon as the pills arrive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.