1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone seen a tube tester like this ??

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by unit_399, Aug 24, 2019.

1. unit_399

unit_399 EL CAPO

I ran across this old OLSON tube tester at a flea market here. It came with a notebook with the settings for about ten different tubes. I had a 6AB6 and the settings for it, and the tester seemed to work ok. It would be nice to have a manual with settings for other tubes, plus some operating instructions, but I can't find a model number on it anywhere. Help Anybody ??

EDIT: I should have looked before posting. It is a model KB-92. Radio Museum has photos of a manual, but not source info.

tube tester.jpg

#1 unit_399, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    kaos513 and Shadetree Mechanic like this.

2. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

Olson Electronics was a company based out of Ohio and has many stores from New York to California. They were on the same level as Allied Electronics and Radio Shack. The tube checker you have is one from about 1960 or so and was made for them by EMC, maybe as a kit or by Mercury. They were also big into CBs with their own name on them. Try EMC 211

From 1968....

upload_2019-8-24_21-56-19.png

73 mechanic

3. mechanic

mechanic Well-Known Member

#3 mechanic, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  4. BandEdger

BandEdger New Member

Looks like a Knight kit somewhat.

Never heard of Olson, thank you for sharing that!

5. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Olson was an electronics store in the midwest. I remember going into the store on Milwaukee ave in Chicago with my father when he would test tubes for our old Zenith B/W TV.

6. Woody-202

Woody-202 Well-Known Member

The first thing that came to my mind when I heard "Olson" was their "Sidebander" base station - which wasn't sideband at all

7. kopcicle

kopcicle Sr. Member

What isn't sideband about DSB? No carrier...