• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone try the mini HT's??

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I'm interested in the new crop of mini HT's...the ones that do about 2 watts and are slim enough to stick in your pocket. I was looking at the Icom IC-P7A. Anyone have any experience with that or a similar model?

not very good reviews on the IC- P7A. I like the yaesu and it can also be turned down to 1/2 to 1 watt. In my opinion I would stick with the Yaesu. I have owned one and it has good recieve and transmit and good recieve audio. Can't go wrong. KI4MSJ

Well where you and I live it isnt quite so bad using the low power HT's. On occasion I hear people get on the air with these HT's and they are cutting in and out, these same people use this as their primary radio and try to assist in weather nets. Not making the repeaters and all you hear is static and repeater cutting in and out. The low power rigs work fine at a hamfest on simplex.

www.gigaparts.com/parts/profile.php?sku=ZAL-DJ-C7T

Hi...

The newest breed of mini HT's i have found to be not worth while..

whether you are talking about the Icom or the Alinco

stick with either Icom T-90A or the W32 or kenwoods THF6A
these are still quite small and offer full 5 watts with exellent performance

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.