• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anyone Using Rack Gear And A Studio Mic With There Radio....

Behringer Ultragain Pro MIC2200 . . .

Do all mic preamps have the same output?

I think the MIC2200 is a tube preamp.....starved plate?
I guess tube emulation is what they call it?

Last edited:
Do all mic preamps have the same output?

I think the MIC2200 is a tube preamp.....starved plate?
Yes. They have both a +4db and a -10db output.
Well; most pro preamps do.

Yes; starved output/tube emulation.
But what is important are the op amps; they do the work anyway. Guys do and have changed them out with higher end units. But for radio, that isn't important. If you were recording high end stuff; then you wouldn't even look at the Behringer anyway. What I use it for is clean enough gain before further processing. So long as it is flat, and it is, it will pull through other processing w/o needing to spend thousands of dollars. The mic is really the core of it all - anyway. Spend your bucks there if you must.

Yes. They have both a +4db and a -10db output.
Well; most pro preamps do.

Yes; starved output/tube emulation.
But what is important are the op amps; they do the work anyway. Guys do and have changed them out with higher end units. But for radio, that isn't important. If you were recording high end stuff; then you wouldn't even look at the Behringer anyway. What I use it for is clean enough gain before further processing. So long as it is flat, and it is, it will pull through other processing w/o needing to spend thousands of dollars. The mic is really the core of it all - anyway. Spend your bucks there if you must.

I am DI a cobra 148 and my behringer 802 has to be cranked to drive the radio to get loud enough audio...was just wondering if a better mic preamp would do a better job?

I am DI a cobra 148 and my behringer 802 has to be cranked to drive the radio to get loud enough audio...was just wondering if a better mic preamp would do a better job?

The main output jacks are just 1/4 ph jacks thats it.

Should check the owners manual and see if the 1/4 inch plugs are tip/ring/sleeve.
If it is, it should be a balanced +4db output.
Maybe not . . .

Doesn't matter...like i said...I am having to crank the mixer up to get loud enough audio.

A +4db signal is a pretty hot signal; IIRC it is 1.414 volts AC/peak.
I'd check you cables and their phasing . . .

The studio mic uses reg xlr cable to the mixer....and the main out to the back of the radio is just a high quality 3ft guitar cable/patch cord....but i get no ground loops or feedback problems unless i crank it wide open...then it will feedback...ha ha
Someone said iirc...that the audio amp in the 148 was like 5 watts?

As you know, I use the preamp with a Ham radio that has an accessory port for the balanced modulator already supplied. The preamp I use also has plenty of output, and am sure that yours does too. Doubt it is the problem. Might check the wiring into the radio and recheck you source of info to do that mod. Please keep us posted.

As you know, I use the preamp with a Ham radio that has an accessory port for the balanced modulator already supplied. The preamp I use also has plenty of output, and am sure that yours does too. Doubt it is the problem. Might check the wiring into the radio and recheck you source of info to do that mod. Please keep us posted.

It works great.....just have to turn up the mixer quite high?
Mic gain is at 3....and ch 1 level is at 1 main mix is at center slot.....settings referred to are like the face of a clock.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.