• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2 with RFX95HD Install

I tried the Ares 2 with an RM Italy KL203-p amplifier just to compare. I could adjust the carrier up and down and it never pinched the carrier at any setting. It looks like the RFX is not a good match for the Ares 2, and I am not quite sure what is causing it. Maybe something to do with the input padding and gain compression? Or maybe that the RFX is a single transistor? Maybe I got a Bum RFX? If anyone tries this, and gets better results please let us know.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Eldorado828
I think it is the padding on the input side, I think the guys at palomar mostly intended for it to go on cobra 29s with cliped limiters.

I have recently had 3 rfx kits blow the electrolytic capacitor in them shortly after powering up the unit the first time, after I change the cap no more problems. I run my bench at 14.8 because that is what many of the trucks provide to the radio and I like to tune at working voltage but that should not have blown the supposedly 16 volt cap/

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I think it is the padding on the input side, I think the guys at palomar mostly intended for it to go on cobra 29s with cliped limiters.

I have recently had 3 rfx kits blow the electrolytic capacitor in them shortly after powering up the unit the first time, after I change the cap no more problems. I run my bench at 14.8 because that is what many of the trucks provide to the radio and I like to tune at working voltage but that should not have blown the supposedly 16 volt cap/
I have an RFX95HD on my Galaxy 86v, works great, looks great on the scope in both AM and SSB. The Ares 2 is just different for some reason.

Just randomly ran across this.

Jeff

This one looks great on the scope, I am not sure what adjustments he made if any for the punching carrier. Someone suggested that I could reduce the modulation so that is something to try I guess. I made a comment on this video, and the reply suggests that he didn't have this problem. I have another RFX unit that I can try too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.