• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

thanks mate cheers
Please let me know how you fair out if you reach out to them for support or help. I own a few of their radios and am curious how helpful and resposive they are with customers if and when needed. Thx & 73
Jeff

Please let me know how you fair out if you reach out to them for support or help. I own a few of their radios and am curious how helpful and resposive they are with customers if and when needed. Thx & 73
Jeff
hi jeff been 3 days now nothing back from anytone support but i will you know if out happens mate 73s

Reactions: jrd426
I love Anytone radios, they've done a fantastic job at bringing something fresh to a decayed CB market. I own more than a few and thankfully have had no issues with mine.

But..... I bought them with complete understanding that in the good o'l Merica there is no warranty support. I knew that if something went haywire, there is no warranty center and I'llhave to eat it. That's just a risk you have to take here. Now on certain occasions I have heard of small issues and Anytone helping folks out but I've not experienced that myself.

Anyhow, I think that's something people really need to consider when buying one or they can just buy the stunt doubles (radioddity, CRT etc) for a little more and get the warranty experience.

just my thoughts

with complete understanding that in the good o'l Merica there is no warranty support.
You are absolutely correct. There doesn't appear to be any warranty support in the U.S. or in Canada that I can see.
These radio are wonderful, but at the end of the day they are basically disposable radios, just like the Baofengs.
There may be a few techs out there that can deal with the SMT tech, but at the low price point of these radios, the cost of having one repaired is likely going to be higher than the cost of just buying another radio.
Of course, in this case, just staying out of the service menu would have avoided the entire situation !

I own several Anytone radios. I have the tiny "Smart" CB-40, The AT-500M, The old version Quad 5, The Quad 6, and the Radioddity QT40.

I want the QT40 to be my permanent base station rig, but the Quad 6 is outperforming it in every way. I wish I knew a way I could just bring the modulation up on the QT40, but I will have to wait until that information becomes available.

I also own Uniden, Cobra, Realistic, and President radios, but even my Anytone AT-500M blows all of them away.
hi i have been looking about for the stock firmware for the ares 2 or the qt40 firmware could you point me in the right direction or do you have a file you could send me pls anytone sight is no good been waiting over a week still nothing thanks

i have been looking about for the stock firmware for the ares 2 or the qt40 firmware
You won't have any luck getting anything out of Anytone; there's no warranty or tech support in North America. Have you tried the RadiOddity site ? I think they may provide some after-sale support. Ares2 and QT40 use identical firmware.

Reactions: Brother DXer
hi i have been looking about for the stock firmware for the ares 2 or the qt40 firmware could you point me in the right direction or do you have a file you could send me pls anytone sight is no good been waiting over a week still nothing thanks
I was not aware that the firmware could be changed. Do you mean the engineering menu/ service menu? Even if you reloaded the firmware, you would still have to manually put the values in the engineering menu because they are specific to each individual radio. People have posted their settings for the engineering menu in their radios, but some parameters can only be derived with external equipment. So even if you knew the correct value of a parameter, you could not just put that value in. The external equipment would generate the signal, and then you would save it in the radio. Without the equipment, there is nothing to save.

Which parameters are you working with?

Oh no here we go again! It's becoming Brick mayhem with folks not staying out of service menus in these new rigs. It went from golden screwdrivers to golden service settings!

I remember when people figured out that they could "jailbreak" their smartphones. That was a time of brick city as well with people that thought they knew but really didn't know.....

Maybe that's why the oems are so tight lipped with giving out the key to service menus.

I remember when people figured out that they could "jailbreak" their smartphones.
I remember that too ! Also when everybody was trying to "overclock" their computer CPU's. That sure ruined a lot of computers really fast.......

Some people just can't stay out of stuff. And you're right Eldorado, the same people that used to wield the golden screwdriver are the same type that just can't resist the urge to mess with the service menu.
It really doesn't help that there are tons of YouTube vids out there where they make it look easy and harmless. Some of those video makers are real charlatans, and that's putting it nicely ! Some of their lies and BS makes me so angry I can't even watch them LOL!

Disposable radio, buy a new one lesson learned. You can repair and return a screwdriver galaxy back to spec but these disposables not so much.

Btw I am trying out an Areas II as a base radio and am impressed with the receive and also the rotary encoder feels better than most. What I don't like is the poor am modulation performance like a ham radio big dead key low swing. I will be tying out an crtss6900(quad 5 ) and an alinco dx10 in the near future hopefully the crt will modulate a little better with npc mod I know the alnico will.

Reactions: Eldorado828
Disposable radio, buy a new one lesson learned. You can repair and return a screwdriver galaxy back to spec but these disposables not so much.

Btw I am trying out an Areas II as a base radio and am impressed with the receive and also the rotary encoder feels better than most. What I don't like is the poor am modulation performance like a ham radio big dead key low swing. I will be tying out an crtss6900(quad 5 ) and an alinco dx10 in the near future hopefully the crt will modulate a little better with npc mod I know the alnico will.
My 2c -They are not a disposable radio if you have the tools and knowledge to work with them. It's a new era for radios, that needs a new set of know-how to work with. Some people are getting caught out messing with new rigs despite the warnings from us all, so that's 100% on them.

I don't think it's any worse now than it was before - the number of radios getting messed up is the same, by the same people!

The ARES2 can modulate to 100% perfectly on AM, but not much over 100%. That is correct by design, and as you said it is closer to the AM performance of most HAM rigs from the big 3. Some don't like that kind of performance, ("My Dosy won't swing") and that's OK.

FYI - Improvements will likely come soon for better "NPC" AM performance in the ARES2 (NPC is broken in the current firmware) - but that feature exists only to keep a particular user group happy. To each their own, but it will stay switched off in my rigs until I can see a clean waveform. (I am mostly a SSB and FM user though, so I don't have a dog in the AM fight!) ; )

As you have found, the ARES2 RX is fantastic. It's almost impossible to go back to listening to the other brands RX, after spending some time with the ARES2. There is no comparison IMO. (The Ranger hissssssssssss is hard work! hihi)

With the DX10 you mentioned - it is a beast on AM TX, but it is because of some pretty wild (uncontrolled) overshoot and some distortion. (It will drive a box hard if that's your plan, but it probably won't be the cleanest while doing it). The RX AGC performance will probably be the biggest issue you find with that PCB. See how you go, I still think it's a fun little radio regardless but I am always working the RF Gain on it.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.