• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

Any luck with the S-meter adjustment? Mine came out pretty good. I can tell the higher S readings are slightly off but close enough for me not to mess with them. It was just that floating/stuck on S-5 that was driving me crazy, which is fix now.
I messed with the U1 setting, which dropped the hanging S5 reading. It is definitely better now. SSB AGC is still too slow though.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I messed with the U1 setting, which dropped the hanging S5 reading. It is definitely better now. SSB AGC is still too slow though.
I don't find the ACG a problem at all personally. Importantly, I have found that the AGC response (audio response and recovery time) is not directly related to the S meter movement. The S meter fall time is too slow, it's a known issue, but the receiver AGC is great for me. Do you find the same?

FYI, on the front panel PCB there is an electrolytic "damping" capacitor connected across the S meter. You can remove this cap (or cut the track) to speed up the meter movement. However, will the meter eventually fail due to hitting its end-stops harder? I don't know, time will tell!

I don't find the ACG a problem at all personally. Importantly, I have found that the AGC response (audio response and recovery time) is not directly related to the S meter movement. The S meter fall time is too slow, it's a known issue, but the receiver AGC is great for me. Do you find the same?

FYI, on the front panel PCB there is an electrolytic "damping" capacitor connected across the S meter. You can remove this cap (or cut the track) to speed up the meter movement. However, will the meter eventually fail due to hitting its end-stops harder? I don't know, time will tell!

Sounds about right. The S meter operates in steps, obviously in software. The decay in SSB is too slow. I do see that the AM/FM decay is much faster. I don't hear AGC overshoot is the recovered SSB audio.

I have only been saying this for maybe 20 years now. RCI needs to Shrink the RCI2950 down to the size of a Cobra 25-29 size but leave the front design alone. DSP for RX/TX audio, EQ built in RX/TX, user selectable audio band width, compression, selectable notch filter, hi cut, add 6m and give it a patch and software to allow it to be controlled with even more features from laptop interface. Make sure it can do all digital modes when patched into a laptop. Waterfall output etc....Bring it to market for $250 to $300 and run the rift-raf out of the market place.

They would have to get it right though the first time round. No craptastic encoders good tactile feel. No noisy harsh front end. Allow people to do asymmetric modulation, eSSB and hifi audio from software with no modifications needed. Maybe have a break out hub.

It would sell like hot cakes on Sunday! Every amatuer would love to hate it but would own one and at least 1/2 of hardcore CB types would own it as well. Give it a fantastic electret mic wired for powered ICOM mic's for global ease in mic compatibility.

Do not go stupid on power levels like a Stryker 955 so people can use all of their old amps from 1970's on up. Give it a built in antenna tuner that works automatically the mosfet finals you save will be your own! Make sure it folds back power as swr climbs and make sure it can not be damaged from reverse polarity operation!

Do not give it any adjustment pots.

Keep warranty returns down by discouraging golden screwdriver attempts with everything being software driven and fixed value component swaps for adjustment.

This is my quick dirty version I have gone into detail what I would like to see in the past.
Maybe you should by the quad 6

i just got a qt40, in the menu what is FT for ? it has either 1 or 2 , not covered in the manual, anyone can explain what it is please ?

i just got a qt40, in the menu what is FT for ? it has either 1 or 2 , not covered in the manual, anyone can explain what it is please ?
Ft is for the FIN Fine Tune control (the clarifier):

F1 = +/- 500Hz shift
F2 = +/- 5kHz shift (the one you want)

FYI, this is covered in the newest manual (The Ares2 / QT40 has a very good manual actually).

Attachments

• ft.jpg
    ft.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 26
  • ARES II manual _A2_230411 V2.pdf (2).pdf
    19.6 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Not to rain on anyone's parade about this radio but I feel the need to give my two cents...

A line from a movie - "that little white speck on top of chicken sh_t, it's chicken sh_t too" and another from a more popular movie "you can't polish a turd".

The ARES is a bad design, bad radio... fun to play with I'm sure but that's as far as it goes...

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: BC Coyote and Pez
Not to rain on anyone's parade about this radio but I feel the need to give my two cents...

A line from a movie - "that little white speck on top of chicken sh_t, it's chicken sh_t too" and another from a more popular movie "you can't polish a turd".

The ARES is a bad design, bad radio... fun to play with I'm sure but that's as far as it goes...
Oh no. It looks the hundreds of QSO's I have made on 12m and 10m with my ARES 2, and the bench testing I have done (which shows a quality radio) was all in my head.

I guess that your "two cents" are not based on owning the radio? But thanks for the laughs! :) hihi

I didn't say you couldn't talk on it but the design of it is just crappy. Poorly planned & designed circuits. It is what it is. If you know, you know... if you don't... you don't.

And obviously you don’t but it’s ok. There’s several radios out there with bad design flaws but they’re praised by many. My thoughts & opinions aren’t meant to sway yours.

And obviously you don’t but it’s ok. There’s several radios out there with bad design flaws but they’re praised by many. My thoughts & opinions aren’t meant to sway yours.
I wonder if you can share any data and test results to back up your very broad claims of "design flaws" and "poorly planned & designed circuits"?

Your thoughts and opinions can be whatever you want them to be. I am only interested in the facts.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.