• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

Where do I find the driver for the USB cable for the ares ii?
It is the same Prolific PL2303 driver that many radio programming cables use. It can be tricky to install if you are not familiar with Windows drivers, because only older versions of the driver work properly (for a number of reasons).

Here is a handy program that does the work of installing the correct (older) driver for you:

If that doesn't work with your cable, try the .BAT file version here:

Last edited:
I want to run a power mic that is wired for a 4 pin Cobra socket with my qt40. I have disconnected pin 4 just to be safe as I had heard that the original 5555 had issues with pin 4 being different. It works well but is there any issues that it could cause for the radio? I've read this thread but there's not a lot of info anywhere about the mics for these.

I want to run a power mic that is wired for a 4 pin Cobra socket with my qt40. I have disconnected pin 4 just to be safe as I had heard that the original 5555 had issues with pin 4 being different. It works well but is there any issues that it could cause for the radio? I've read this thread but there's not a lot of info anywhere about the mics for these.
You should have no problem with that microphone, just set it from electret to dynamic in the settings and you're good to go.

No mystery, pay someone to do it. Ask Panic attack to do it he's on FB, Ask Tim Chambers at Tiny Tim's Check Google search. I'm sure they could do it ya. They are trust worthy folks. I know we all want to save some $$, I love saving myself. I was dirt poor for most of my life. Im not now, Dirt poor anyway! Im the guy that is I want a stryker I'll get with D-Rail, If I want amp work I call BBi, Antennas Dan at Coily, or Tom at Zero5. I could go on and on like Moding power supplies. CB stands for Constant Buying. I love to help a new guy out and have done so many times but I would get in someone's else's Lane. Also not to be left out MMM does a awesome HiFi setup. Just be glad your alive in these times of CB and there circuitry truly becoming what it is. Long gone are the days of turning VR4 wide open and tuning the L pots for the best output. Have a Great day everyone, I dont mean to hurt feelings But very few things are free. Friendship is one and your Word should be the other. I dont voice much but when I do its my feelings, Dirty Ole Man in Oregon.
I just got an Ares 2 in today and will start learning about it including the engineering menu stuff over the next few days. I'll touch base with you and let you know what I think if you'd like.

I cracked the Service Menu. I also performed a hardware NPC mod which works on with factory NPC from carriers below 6 watts. There's still some stuff to work out but I have the radio usable now with great audio. I have some videos on Facebook. I also show the scope. Feel free to flame away, seems that's all I get when I mentioned the nasty old NPC mod.
Panic Attack
"Swang's the Thang"!
Always haters, aren't there? Haters forget that adjusting the mic gain can control the wave form pretty well. Keep up the good work!

Does anyone know how to do the NPC mod to this? Maybe it's the same as the 955 v2? I need to be able to adjust the carrier independently of the peak.
If your familiar with the Diode/resistor mod I do on these types of boards, replace the resistor with a 1k variable resistor and you can quite nicely control the top end.

If your familiar with the Diode/resistor mod I do on these types of boards, replace the resistor with a 1k variable resistor and you can quite nicely control the top end.
I came across a post of yours for hardware NPC, I beleive it was on a Ver.2 Stryker 955, the section of that board looks absolutely nothing like what I have in my Ares II, do you have any pictures of the Ares?

I've been all through the software menus, they are actually really similar to the Anytone smart radio,or the miniany as I call it, I never hear anyonr mention that the tiny anytone, the new version is also with out trim pots and is also software driven/manipulated, it has no problem with modulation and swing after adjustment.

I can't get ny Ares to stop pinching off my audio at around 80%, and I don't talk loudly at all, so that's an issue for me.

Hope someone can help, Ive been a reader for a while here, and a member a shorter while, I think this is my first time posting though..

Hope everyone is well on this Sunday, and thanks in advance!
Russ

I must have asked in the wrong section, and that's my bad! Is it possible there are different variations of this new board they are using?

I was under the impression this new board would be like the old EPT boards used across a bunch of different radios/brands, so far the only picture I have come acroas,for a hardware npc mod look nothing like the board in this Ares II I have, and it seems no matter software settings, mine still caps off at around 80/90% modulation which is frustrating to say the least..

Even with a amplified mix I still have less than desirable modulation gains, Im running Turner +2 with the guts of one of those old indestructible Motorola two way mic guts in it, they always seem to produce a nice natural tone, the amp circuit is very similar to a D-104 anplifier, all incased in the same can,the element is in..

Anyhow..

BUMP

I must have asked in the wrong section, and that's my bad! Is it possible there are different variations of this new board they are using?

I was under the impression this new board would be like the old EPT boards used across a bunch of different radios/brands, so far the only picture I have come acroas,for a hardware npc mod look nothing like the board in this Ares II I have, and it seems no matter software settings, mine still caps off at around 80/90% modulation which is frustrating to say the least..

Even with a amplified mix I still have less than desirable modulation gains, Im running Turner +2 with the guts of one of those old indestructible Motorola two way mic guts in it, they always seem to produce a nice natural tone, the amp circuit is very similar to a D-104 anplifier, all incased in the same can,the element is in..

Anyhow..

BUMP
Tim hasn't logged in since the end of last month, but I am sure that he will respond as soon as he sees it. Your Ares 2 should have the new short board in it. It is supposed to be similar to the new version of the 955, the new 5555 and new 5555n2 and a few others. But apparently different enough still.

Not one amplified mic that I have tried has had better modulation than the Anytone stock electret microphone on various Anytone branded radios or radios with Anytone boards. Not a D-104 hand held, or a K-Po with amplfied electret element will out modulate the stock microphone.

Stock electret microphone is very good. It's not good with plosives though.

Not one amplified mic that I have tried has had better modulation than the Anytone stock electret microphone

I've had the same experience. When I got my Anytone 6666 I tried various mics on it and the stock hand mic sounded way better than anything else. My Turner CS-1 is the winner on ALL my other radios. Not on the Anytone.....stock mic wins.

Not one amplified mic that I have tried has had better modulation than the Anytone stock electret microphone on various Anytone branded radios or radios with Anytone boards. Not a D-104 hand held, or a K-Po with amplfied electret element will out modulate the stock microphone.

Stock electret microphone is very good. It's not good with plosives though.
Are you setting the Aires II to dynamic when using the older microphones? If not that's why none of they are sounding very good. I currently have the Aires II paired with a UR6QW and a boom mic and it sounds pretty amazing.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Are you setting the Aires II to dynamic when using the older microphones? If not that's why none of they are sounding very good. I currently have the Aires II paired with a UR6QW and a boom mic and it sounds pretty amazing.
I imagine the UR6QW would work well with it indeed. What boom mic are you using?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.