• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone Ares 2

I own several Anytone radios. I have the tiny "Smart" CB-40, The AT-500M, The old version Quad 5, The Quad 6, and the Radioddity QT40.

I want the QT40 to be my permanent base station rig, but the Quad 6 is outperforming it in every way. I wish I knew a way I could just bring the modulation up on the QT40, but I will have to wait until that information becomes available.

I also own Uniden, Cobra, Realistic, and President radios, but even my Anytone AT-500M blows all of them away.
Did you know the new mini anytone has a engineer menu where you can adjust modulation,rf gain, high&low power settings and squelche adjustments, transmit frequency? I never see this mentioned anywhere, its the version that has no adjustable pots inside..

Did you know the new mini anytone has a engineer menu where you can adjust modulation,rf gain, high&low power settings and squelche adjustments, transmit frequency? I never see this mentioned anywhere, its the version that has no adjustable pots inside..
I have the older version. The receive on it is horrible for some reason. Worse than my Cobra 19 Plus

I like my anytone ares 2 it hasnt been turned off since the day i got it.
Still need to figure out which setting in the service menu is the amc barrier so i can take it down a little bit because its too limited just like all my other anytones were before they was fine tuned in the service menu

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I wasted 200 dollars on this crap cant get any decent audio from it that can actually be heard
If you're not being heard, it's not the fault of the radio. Ares 2 has pretty darn good audio right out of the box.
What are you using for an antenna ? Remember, the antenna is about 90% of the reason you do or don't get out, not the radio.

Reactions: Pez
When you say "outperforming in every way", do you mean specifically the power output, and AM modulation percentage? Because that is the only two things that the 6666 has over the ARES2/QT40, in terms of "performance" that I have measured in all my testing. I know, those two things matter a lot to some, so I'm not arguing that, just pointing out what I have measured. FYI, I would choose the RX on the ARES2/QT40 over the 6666 every time. I find the 6666 hard to listen to after coming back to it from an ARES2 or 5555Nii. What are your thoughts on the RX?

Regarding the AT-500M, I agree, it's a little beast. I really like mine as well. Wait until the AT-500M2 is here, it takes all the original version goodness and adds a heap more features. The new M2 is a great little rig. It should be available any day now.

Interesting observation here. I also find the 6666 not as easy on my ears, as the QT-40 or QT-60 is. The 6666 gives me listener fatigue and find it annoying. I am looking forward to the 6666 Pro, but it seems it has been delayed a bit.

I play with the "toy" radios now and then, but not for long at one time, maybe a few days at a time. But the Ares II/QT-40 have some mojo going on in the RX and I get great TX audio reports.

Reactions: Pez and jrd426
Agreed super on the 6666 audio. Love the radio but find it "trebky sharp" if that makes any sense. I run the 6666 at home as a workbench base radio and now use it running through an old school radio shack / realistic dsp-40. Picked the dsp up cheap due to its age but works awesome with many of my radios including the 6666. Tones the audio pitch down nicely. Better for my ears. The 5555n and the 5555n2 work well also with my dsp but not really needed as both of those have smoother audio for my listening. The external speaker i use with the dsp is a Yaesu FP-757HD | External AC Power Supply and Speaker. I use a y-splitter audio cable to share the speaker in the ft-757gx power supply combo to 2 radios. I use the power supply of the 757gx as well for these anytones. Working well :)
Cheers 73

Last edited:
Reactions: Pez
Agreed super on the 6666 audio. Love the radio but find it "trebky sharp" if that makes any sense. I run the 6666 at home as a workbench base radio and now use it running through an old school radio shack / realistic dsp-40. Picked the dsp up cheap due to its age but works awesome with many of my radios including the 6666. Tones the audio pitch down nicely. Better for my ears. The 5555n and the 5555n2 work well also with my dsp but not really needed as both of those have smoother audio for my listening. Cheers
I have the RS DSP-40 also and find it useless, except as a CW filter. The DSP I have that I like the most, is the Timewave DSP-599ZX. I have a few older Timewaves too, but that one is hands down my fave. I also have a clearspeech DSP speaker. I may try that with the 6666.

I think there is more going on in that RX than just tone that annoys me. I run it through a Yaesu speaker and it is still hard on my ears.

Agreed super on the 6666 audio. Love the radio but find it "trebky sharp" if that makes any sense. I run the 6666 at home as a workbench base radio and now use it running through an old school radio shack / realistic dsp-40. Picked the dsp up cheap due to its age but works awesome with many of my radios including the 6666. Tones the audio pitch down nicely. Better for my ears. The 5555n and the 5555n2 work well also with my dsp but not really needed as both of those have smoother audio for my listening. The external speaker i use with the dsp is a Yaesu FP-757HD | External AC Power Supply and Speaker. I use a y-splitter audio cable to share the speaker in the ft-757gx power supply combo to 2 radios. I use the power supply of the 757gx as well for these anytones. Working well :)
Cheers 73
I am using the same power supply speaker! Yaesu kicked everyone else's butt with this one. Why couldn't the others make one as good as the FP-757HD? Dunno, but it is my daily!

Until i can find a timewave my dsp-40 i must say is a nice addition. I really like the yaesu speaker / supply. Great at my qth for what i do . Cheers

Tim hasn't logged in since the end of last month, but I am sure that he will respond as soon as he sees it. Your Ares 2 should have the new short board in it. It is supposed to be similar to the new version of the 955, the new 5555 and new 5555n2 and a few others. But apparently different enough still.
I have not had time in the past few weeks to figure more the Ares 2, however got it on the bench again now and trying to figure out where I left off, lol;-)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.