• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYTONE AT-5555N2 receive noise work-around

Does anyone here have a 'noisy radio' they would be willing to send me to test against my own radio's that don't have this issue? I would really like to measure the differences and report the results back to Qixiang. (I have all the required equipment - a full radio test setup).
The problem is that I am in Australia, and most you will be across the pond from me... Shipping could be a challenge.
I thought I would ask, because we could really use real measurement data if we are going to get to the bottom of this one.

Does anyone here have a 'noisy radio' they would be willing to send me to test against my own radio's that don't have this issue? I would really like to measure the differences and report the results back to Qixiang. (I have all the required equipment - a full radio test setup).
The problem is that I am in Australia, and most you will be across the pond from me... Shipping could be a challenge.
I thought I would ask, because we could really use real measurement data if we are going to get to the bottom of this one.

No local sellers you could borrow one from Pez?

Just a note here, I have two Stryker 955 radios. A V1 and a V2. They are both extremely noisy and have at minimum, an S5 all the time. Noise blanker and ANL do help a little. But I found a huge help by turning the RF Gain down to about 3 o'clock. Meter still shows a 3 or so, depending upon the actual noise, but it doesn't seem to negatively affect the the signals received. I still hear plenty of DX and am able to use the radios as usual. I think it's possible that Stryker has just made the gain a bit too hot.

has anyone actually found out what is actually happening when you turn menu 52 up in the service menu of the 7900v and variants

can someone make video and show what noise 5555N II is and post the link in here. There is lot of talk but visual explanation would be greatly appreciated.

my radio usually has an S5 and at times S7 noise floor in my neighborhood. most modern households have multiple USB/Laptop power supplies that act as hash/noise transmitters. if the Chinese power supply manufacturers can omit filtering to save a few pennies, THEY DO!

here is a video of my radio in my driveway during a power outage.
5555n_ii-what_noise-jpg.64576

VIDEO LINK
*note the receive dial is maxed.

my radio was aligned by Scott's Radios LLC. out of the box the S meter on the AT-5555n II usually need little to no adjustment from what i've seen in his videos.

in my opinion there is nothing noisy about the AT-5555n II. if you are accustom to a radio like a Ranger (which is kinda deaf IMO) the Q5nII may seem noisy. it may just be your environment. start tripping breakers and see if your noise floor drops.

as for the Noise Blanker, i use it, and don't notice it causing any issue. not to say there isn't an issue as i'm surrounded by RF interference anyway.

the Auto Squelch is handy when monitoring AM on the move. go though a noisy neighborhood and it adjusts. problem is it has a tendency to blank out strong transmissions as people are talking so i have to go to manual to listen. x_x

/max

my radio usually has an S5 and at times S7 noise floor in my neighborhood. most modern households have multiple USB/Laptop power supplies that act as hash/noise transmitters. if the Chinese power supply manufacturers can omit filtering to save a few pennies, THEY DO!

here is a video of my radio in my driveway during a power outage.
5555n_ii-what_noise-jpg.64576

VIDEO LINK
*note the receive dial is maxed.

my radio was aligned by Scott's Radios LLC. out of the box the S meter on the AT-5555n II usually need little to no adjustment from what i've seen in his videos.

in my opinion there is nothing noisy about the AT-5555n II. if you are accustom to a radio like a Ranger (which is kinda deaf IMO) the Q5nII may seem noisy. it may just be your environment. start tripping breakers and see if your noise floor drops.

as for the Noise Blanker, i use it, and don't notice it causing any issue. not to say there isn't an issue as i'm surrounded by RF interference anyway.

the Auto Squelch is handy when monitoring AM on the move. go though a noisy neighborhood and it adjusts. problem is it has a tendency to blank out strong transmissions as people are talking so i have to go to manual to listen. x_x

/max
Cool. thanks for sharing. my radio is the same. if I go to Anza Borego desert in the middle of nowhere I got noise floor maybe S1 with max RFG. When I come back home I get noise floor between S4-5 plus every other channel noise from sollar systems. For me looks like radio is very sensitive almost like it has preamp in it. I run it with RFG at around 3:30-4:00 o'clock if you know what I mean and floor noise drops to around 2.7 and I am still able to hear stations from all over the places. I did experiment with my preamp. If I have RFG at 3-4 o'clock and I turn on my preamp floor noise goes to about 5-6. But if my RFG is at max and then I turn preamp there is no change which means radio is at max sensitivity, am I wright or I am missing something. I think radio works that way like it has preamp in it and nothing is wrong with it. My Noise Blanker if it's on when I am home will takes 80% of the solar noise out but if my local neighbors station start to push some power I get more bleed over from adjacent channels more so then if noise Blanker would be off, I have been told that's normal . Maybe more expensive radios do better job with that, not sure.
Anyway thanks for sharing the info with video. I wanted to know what the heck people are talking about. 73 and have fun.

@WK766 you are welcome. i know they set the S9 of the meter with a certain dB of signal. that is only one point on the meter.

i wish i had the test equipment to to test weaker incoming signals from a signal generator.

Reactions: WK766
Maybe this has been covered (didnt see it if so) but for those folks with the noisy s5-s7 on their n2 meters, has the radio been tested out in the mobile with vehicle not running. Ideally out a little from all the neighborhoods noise. Im wondering if some or all of the later prod boards are not handling household electronic noise (cell chargers etc) like the earlier n2 boards. Maybe theres been a cost savings measure taken in the factory that is not emi friendly anymore in the household. Just a thought fwiw.
73s

The QT-60 I received yesterday, shows the CH-52 setting "AM RFG", as the photo in the start of this thread does. I did not see anyone say what mode they were trying to adjust. I don't operate AM, so I would be more interested in an *IF Gain* setting for SSB, which is not present in the radio I have.

They also claim that this radio has the WX band. I cannot find a way to select WX band.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.