• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANYTONE AT-5555N2 receive noise work-around

Mine with the issue ends 0490. You could think they were from the same batch? Perhaps it is something to do with the type of antenna as well. I use an ungrounded split element yagi.
Decades ago, I had a Trik Stik. I remember it being noisy. They also pick up tons of static. Put a grounded lightening arrestor in-line.
I'm using a Sirio GPE 27 on the chimney, with an arrestor at the antenna and a ground wire.

Cushcraft 20.jpg

Interesting thread. I will have to check mine when I get home. Funny...I never run my RFG control at 100%. My sits between 12:00-3:00 o'clock. My serial # ends with 80034.

Update... My receive is just fine. A little white noise no static and my RFG control is nice and linear.

Last edited:
i have a crt 7900v so called 2023 version and i have the high s meter reading , all my other radios including Ham radios show s0

Reactions: FredTx63
i have a crt 7900v so called 2023 version and i have the high s meter reading , all my other radios including Ham radios show s0
Mine too (but a Q5N2) exactly as you say. Only I don't talk about it here on WWDX anymore, and especially not on Q5N2 threads (God forbid, right?) because some of the "good ole boys" here consider it "whining". I was the first one to bring up this obvious issue, but I was only "whining" so I repented.

Been quiet ever since.

A friend of mine had an older one (one of the reasons I bought one) and he just recently bought a brand new production unit. The old one is perfect, the new one has the phony noise floor reading on the meter, like mine and yours.

There are still people who deny this is a problem. Most notably, people who turn their RFG down to desensitize the radio and thus bring down the phony noise floor, so they can say "I don't see a problem"... lol

But hey, I'm just an observer, doing my best not to "whine", or talk about things that I thought that the thread topics were for.

Last edited:
Mine too (but a Q5N2) exactly as you say. Only I don't talk about it here on WWDX anymore, and especially not on Q5N2 threads (God forbid, right?) because some of the "good ole boys" here consider it "whining". I was the first one to bring up this obvious issue, but I was only "whining" so I repented.

Been quiet ever since.

A friend of mine had an older one (one of the reasons I bought one) and he just recently bought a brand new production unit. The old one is perfect, the new one has the phony noise floor reading on the meter, like mine and yours.

There are still people who deny this is a problem. Most notably, people who turn their RFG down to desensitize the radio and thus bring down the phony noise floor, so they can say "I don't see a problem"... lol

But hey, I'm just an observer, doing my best not to "whine", or talk about things that I thought that the thread topics were for.
Well, if it means anything, I had another one (Q5N2) delivered yesterday and I'm still not seeing this issue you guys are experiencing, with this one or my first. ??
Maybe I’m just extremely fortunate. I'll take fortune!! Hahaha..
I was definitely curious when I ordered.
73 and have a great weekend, I hope you get it sorted out.

On my CRT 7900V i have to put the RF gain to about the 2 oclock position and it still shows a s2 - 3 noise or i do the work around in the service menu , i got a loan of a couple of old school cbs and a modern ham rig from my brother and all show s0 on 11m the same as my own radios , as i said it doesnt affect performance to me its extremely anoying.

Welcome to the club. My 955 v2 exhibits the same just like my Q5N2.
955 v2 have the same issue since they use the same exact board, Somewhere along the production run they made the receiver Way Too Hot "overly sensitive" or the Smeter calibration is out of whack or something, A local of mine who when I listen on my Kenwood 480 and a SPT500 gives me S9 suddenly and magically gives me S 20 on my brand new Anytone 5555N2 using the same SPT500 antenna, meter on the 5555N2 never goes below S3 ever.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.