• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AnyTone AT-5888UV VHF/UHF Mobile Review

I can't believe they only allow one band repeat..seems like an easy feature to add....oh well, maybe in the next round.

No unused radios, but I'll look into the Radiotone repeater..

Its not that its one band repeat, its that you can only monitor one freq at a time while repeating. Also you cannot in-band repeat with it.

Sorry for the double post, but Kenwood mobile radios do have the ability to change freqs and operating parameters remotely, by using DTMF tones to remote control the radio. I never use that function so i forget about it.

Im not sure if thats what you are looking to do.

Ya, I know about that, but it looks cumbersome and not easy to do on the fly...plus the price is about $100 more for just that feature...

Its not that its one band repeat, its that you can only monitor one freq at a time while repeating. Also you cannot in-band repeat with it.

But it seems to me you should be able to swap freqs on the HT, say 448.101 and 448.102. The Anytone could listen to 101 and 102, and repeat two different channels..

What is in band repeat? You mean you have to go 440 to 2m and vice versa?

This is kind of outside of the scope of this thread, but it is possible to do what you are trying to accomplish, although it will take 2 separate radios (which dont specifically have to be Anytone) There is a company, i believe its Radiotone, which makes little repeater controller things that you hook up to 2 radios. They take the audio from one radio and trigger the push to talk it on another radio. Since it will broadcast received audio, i would assume that you could scan or dual receive with the first radio and it would broadcast anything that the radio receives as i believe that it uses the speaker output. I havent tried them but i was looking into them for a while and think that they may fit the bill as i was looking to do something very similar to what you are trying to accomplish. If anyone has any experience or knowlege with these, feel free to PM me so we dont get the thread too far off topic.

Did you read the PDF, Page 1, second column about the mobile needing to program a non standard repeater split...can the Anytone do this? If so HT range extension on two seperate freqs should work no?

Yes, if you crossband repeat with the Anytone, you can only listen to one freq at a time. Im not aware of any radio from any manufacturer that will allow you to crossband 2 freqs or scan while crossbanding.

Also in regards to that Radiotone repeater, you can get adapters to make them interface with just about any radio, mobile or portable. So if you have any old, unused radios laying around, this may be a good way to put them to use again.

How come here:

Amazon.com: AnyTone Dual Band Transceiver VHF/UHF AT-5888UV Two Way and Amateur Radio: Electronics

It says this: True automatic cross band repeater mode, Twin simultaneous Receive, w/seperate Vol & Squelch controls!

If I am in remote mode though, won't I only be tying up one side of the Anytone, thus I could actually listen to two freqs from the anytone, or does it take both sides of the Anytone to crossband? I figured I could crossband with both sides of the Anytone, but I guess not when I think about it..

http://www.hamradioandmore.com/HT015.pdf
Even using it as a remote the radio is in crossband mode, thus tying up both VFO's. The radio doesn't have "remote" and "crossband" modes, only crossband. The difference between the two is how you program it.

Crossbanding involves it being set up to receive your repeater's output frequency (147.090 for example) and retransmitting what it hears there on it's other (440) VFO which your HT hears. In turn, you key your HT on that 440 frequency, the Anytone picks up the signal and retransmits it on 147.690 (Catalina's input).

The difference in setting it up as a "remote" is that you don't set it up to hear/retransmit Catalina to your HT. You'll set up the receive/2m side to a quite (unused) frequency somewhere on 2M with a PL tone or DCS code so that it will never hear anything, then set an odd split for the 2M side to transmit on 147.690 (Catalina's input). This way you're hearing Catalina direct on your HT, you talk in to the HT on 440, the Anytone hears you on 440 and retransmits your 440 signal to the repeater on 147.690.

Either way the radio is in crossband mode, the only difference is it's not retransmitting 147.090 to your HT when using it as a remote. Both VFO's are tied up either way.

Hope that makes sense...

How come here:

Amazon.com: AnyTone Dual Band Transceiver VHF/UHF AT-5888UV Two Way and Amateur Radio: Electronics

It says this: True automatic cross band repeater mode, Twin simultaneous Receive, w/seperate Vol & Squelch controls!

Because it will do crossband mode, OR, twin simultaneous receive. It can't do both at the same time. It would need three VFO's to do that. It's like saying Blue display & Green display. It can do either, just not at the same time.

Even using it as a remote the radio is in crossband mode, thus tying up both VFO's. The radio doesn't have "remote" and "crossband" modes, only crossband. The difference between the two is how you program it.

Crossbanding involves it being set up to receive your repeater's output frequency (147.090 for example) and retransmitting what it hears there on it's other (440) VFO which your HT hears. In turn, you key your HT on that 440 frequency, the Anytone picks up the signal and retransmits it on 147.690 (Catalina's input).

The difference in setting it up as a "remote" is that you don't set it up to hear/retransmit Catalina to your HT. You'll set up the receive/2m side to a quite (unused) frequency somewhere on 2M with a PL tone or DCS code so that it will never hear anything, then set an odd split for the 2M side to transmit on 147.690 (Catalina's input). This way you're hearing Catalina direct on your HT, you talk in to the HT on 440, the Anytone hears you on 440 and retransmits your 440 signal to the repeater on 147.690.

Either way the radio is in crossband mode, the only difference is it's not retransmitting 147.090 to your HT when using it as a remote. Both VFO's are tied up either way.

Hope that makes sense...

Because it will do crossband mode, OR, twin simultaneous receive. It can't do both at the same time. It would need three VFO's to do that. It's like saying Blue display & Green display. It can do either, just not at the same time.

That makes a lot of sense...thanks, I think I finally understand it now. So working it remote its really only good for one freq...hmmmmm might have to think about getting one now..

Scrap, did you read the PDF I posted? That guy in HI seems to be able to do two channels, does he have some really expensive mobile radio or what? Seems like there are no mobile rigs which can do what he is talking about...

Scrap, did you read the PDF I posted? That guy in HI seems to be able to do two channels, does he have some really expensive mobile radio or what? Seems like there are no mobile rigs which can do what he is talking about...

It was too long of a read since I'm cheating from work here...lol I get the basics of what he's doing and I suppose if his radio with do a dual band "odd splits" it would work just fine. I currently have three radios that crossband (IC-2880, FT-8800, TMV71-A) and I'm honesty not sure if any of the three will go from UHF-rx to VHF-tx on the same memory channel. Never had any reason to try it!

If I get some time tonight, I'll try it on my Icom & Wouxun. Both of those are easy enough to hook up to the computer to try, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work... Kind of cool if it does though.

Better yet, I'll try it with my stuff and have Mole try it with his Anytone and HT de'jour as well. That may take a couple of days but I'm sure he'll be up for the challenge.

It was too long of a read since I'm cheating from work here...lol I get the basics of what he's doing and I suppose if his radio with do a dual band "odd splits" it would work just fine. I currently have three radios that crossband (IC-2880, FT-8800, TMV71-A) and I'm honesty not sure if any of the three will go from UHF-rx to VHF-tx on the same memory channel. Never had any reason to try it!

If I get some time tonight, I'll try it on my Icom & Wouxun. Both of those are easy enough to hook up to the computer to try, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to work... Kind of cool if it does though.

Better yet, I'll try it with my stuff and have Mole try it with his Anytone and HT de'jour as well. That may take a couple of days but I'm sure he'll be up for the challenge.

I would appreciate anything you would be willing to do. Is the Wouxung the 920P model? How do you like it? Better than the Alinco or worse? From what I have been able to read, the Alinco is a cross between a Yaesu and a Wouxun, while the Wouxun is stright Wouxun troubles...I've got a UV3D HT, so maybe the Wouxun would make more sense to me, but I really like the Alinco concept for some reaosn over the Alinco...

Not happening with my Icom 2820. Set up per his instructions, setting the mobile (xbander) up @ 446.200rx & 147.620tx, etc, etc, etc... the radio took the programming, but doesn't transmit on 147.620. It transmits on 446.2

Oddly enough, I tried programming the same odd split into the Wouxun (KGUV3D) and it DOES do the dual band split. One channel set up to listen on 446.2 and transmit on 147.62

So it doesn't work on every radio, but apparently does on some. We'll have to wait for Moleculo to play around with the Anytone to give you the answer you're looking for.

As far as the 920P? I sat on the "waiting list" for over a year and when they finally released it, I looked at the price and bought a Kenwood for $40 more that's a proven workhorse with warranty service available 10 miles away. I think Wouxun seriously missed the mark with a retail anywhere above $250.

Not happening with my Icom 2820. Set up per his instructions, setting the mobile (xbander) up @ 446.200rx & 147.620tx, etc, etc, etc... the radio took the programming, but doesn't transmit on 147.620. It transmits on 446.2

Oddly enough, I tried programming the same odd split into the Wouxun (KGUV3D) and it DOES do the dual band split. One channel set up to listen on 446.2 and transmit on 147.62

So it doesn't work on every radio, but apparently does on some. We'll have to wait for Moleculo to play around with the Anytone to give you the answer you're looking for.

As far as the 920P? I sat on the "waiting list" for over a year and when they finally released it, I looked at the price and bought a Kenwood for $40 more that's a proven workhorse with warranty service available 10 miles away. I think Wouxun seriously missed the mark with a retail anywhere above $250.

OK, so you are saying the UV3D can use channel A in at 147.62 and out on 4446.2, with Channel B being something else completely correct? I assume the Wouxun 920P would do the same. Does the Kenwood you bought do it? Amazed the Icom can not, as I thought Icom was a better brand.

I agree, Wouxun 920P should be cheaper than 289 w/ rebate. The Yaesu 7900R is only $20 more, although it doesn't have crossband.

Thank you for the test, good to know.

Molecule..if you are still checking this, I would be greatful to know if this can be done. Can you confirm or deny this dual split on one channel on the Anytone?

OK, so you are saying the UV3D can use channel A in at 147.62 and out on 4446.2, with Channel B being something else completely correct?
That is correct...

Does the Kenwood you bought do it?
I didn't try it or the Yaesu because they're both in installations that don't allow for easy computer programming. You'll find that odd splits can be a PIA to program through the radio's face, so I just stuck to the two that I had with easy computer programming access.

Amazed the Icom can not, as I thought Icom was a better brand.
It is a better brand. lol The feature that you're trying to reproduce isn't something that is sought after (to my knowledge), thus I doubt that manufacturers give it much thought when designing radios. While the guy in Hawaii found a practical use for it, I can't really think of a practical application where I would use it.

I agree, Wouxun 920P should be cheaper than 289 w/ rebate. The Yaesu 7900R is only $20 more, although it doesn't have crossband.

I think the price on the 920 that I saw from Wouxun.US was $329 and I got the Kenwood V71 for $369. No brainer... The 7900R is a single band 2M radio, so you'd want to compare the 920 to the Yaesu FT-8800R dual bander.

You'll find that there's a lot more to "quality" (going back to the "better radio" comment) than bells & whistles. A practical example is Moleculo and I working in the Angeles Forest on weekends. I carry a Wouxun HT and he carries either a Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom (he's a bit of an HT whore). My KGUV3D is constantly picking up noise (spurious emissions, etc...) that's forever got me playing with the squelch to quiet it. In that terrain, if I just turn the squelch up to keep the radio quite, there's a good chance I'm not going to hear the signals that I WANT to hear, so the squelch is up/down, up/down all day long. The front end on his HT's don't pick up the "junk", so I don't think he's ever fiddling with his squelch.

You mentioned being in O.C.. so here's an example that you can hear for yourself... We hang out on the 449.500 "Scrapper" machine which is up near Mt. Baldy. Plenty easy to hit from much of O.C. with a 5W HT. The users in O.C. on Wouxun and Baufeng HT's are constantly fighting noise from a tow company in Santa Ana that wipes out the repeater's audio. Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu HT's users never hear it because their receiver front ends are far superior to the Chinese HT's.

Food for thought. Don't get too hung up on bells & whistles (that you may not even use) when making a purchase decision...

Last edited:
That is correct...

I didn't try it or the Yaesu because they're both in installations that don't allow for easy computer programming. You'll find that odd splits can be a PIA to program through the radio's face, so I just stuck to the two that I had with easy computer programming access.

It is a better brand. lol The feature that you're trying to reproduce isn't something that is sought after (to my knowledge), thus I doubt that manufacturers give it much thought when designing radios. While the guy in Hawaii found a practical use for it, I can't really think of a practical application where I would use it.

I think the price on the 920 that I saw from Wouxun.US was $329 and I got the Kenwood V71 for $369. No brainer... The 7900R is a single band 2M radio, so you'd want to compare the 920 to the Yaesu FT-8800R dual bander.

You'll find that there's a lot more to "quality" (going back to the "better radio" comment) than bells & whistles. A practical example is Moleculo and I working in the Angeles Forest on weekends. I carry a Wouxun HT and he carries either a Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom (he's a bit of an HT whore). My KGUV3D is constantly picking up noise (spurious emissions, etc...) that's forever got me playing with the squelch to quiet it. In that terrain, if I just turn the squelch up to keep the radio quite, there's a good chance I'm not going to hear the signals that I WANT to hear, so the squelch is up/down, up/down all day long. The front end on his HT's don't pick up the "junk", so I don't think he's ever fiddling with his squelch.

You mentioned being in O.C.. so here's an example that you can hear for yourself... We hang out on the 449.500 "Scrapper" machine which is up near Mt. Baldy. Plenty easy to hit from much of O.C. with a 5W HT. The users in O.C. on Wouxun and Baufeng HT's are constantly fighting noise from a tow company in Santa Ana that wipes out the repeater's audio. Kenwood, Icom & Yaesu HT's users never hear it because their receiver front ends are far superior to the Chinese HT's.

Food for thought. Don't get too hung up on bells & whistles (that you may not even use) when making a purchase decision...

Good points. For me though, I think I would use this feature a lot as I take my dog for walks, and don't want to be cooped up in my room all day on my radio..I want the power of 50W and the mobility of a HT, this feature seems to give me that.

I'll have to try the 449.500 repeater, and see if I can hit it. I usually do pretty good on 440s as far as interference is concerned...I know what you mean about the noise though..experienced it myself many times..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated