• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AnyTone AT-5888UV VHF/UHF Mobile Review

Good points. For me though, I think I would use this feature a lot as I take my dog for walks, and don't want to be cooped up in my room all day on my radio..I want the power of 50W and the mobility of a HT, this feature seems to give me that.

Just to be clear, ANY of the dual band mobile radios mentioned in this thread will do what you want to do. That's simply crossband repeat. The ONLY time that you would use the dual band odd splits in the mobile (as mentioned from the Hawaii guy) is of you're trying to work TWO repeaters on your HT, THROUGH the mobile rig while on your walk.

That's what I was saying is pretty rare... Being able to HEAR two different repeaters on your HT, but not hold them on tx is something I've never had happen. That's why the dual band odd split/crossband combo is a feature that's never crossed my mind before.

BTW, the Scrap Radio machine is 449.500rx - 444.500tx with a 100PL. Quite a bit different user base than 147.090. It guess "looser" would be a good way to describe it. lol

Forget about all that technical stuff. Just get one of these for your HT strolls.

tapatalk_1370024473849_zpsf3dec45a.jpg

Just to be clear, ANY of the dual band mobile radios mentioned in this thread will do what you want to do.

BTW, the Scrap Radio machine is 449.500rx - 444.500tx with a 100PL. Quite a bit different user base than 147.090. It guess "looser" would be a good way to describe it. lol

Are you saying these radios mentioned here can do the HI guy concept? OR simple crossband?

I'll check out the Scrap repeater and see if I can hit it

OK, so you are saying the UV3D can use channel A in at 147.62 and out on 4446.2, with Channel B being something else completely correct? I assume the Wouxun 920P would do the same. Does the Kenwood you bought do it? Amazed the Icom can not, as I thought Icom was a better brand.

I agree, Wouxun 920P should be cheaper than 289 w/ rebate. The Yaesu 7900R is only $20 more, although it doesn't have crossband.

Thank you for the test, good to know.

Molecule..if you are still checking this, I would be greatful to know if this can be done. Can you confirm or deny this dual split on one channel on the Anytone?

The Anytone can do RX on one band and TX on another band on the same VFO. However, it cannot perform an operation where that same scenario is set up on both VFOs, causing it to do quad frequency cross band repeat. I attempted to do this very thing tonight and the radio simply transmitted on the crossband frequency that the memory was set to RX on.

The Anytone can do RX on one band and TX on another band on the same VFO. However, it cannot perform an operation where that same scenario is set up on both VFOs, causing it to do quad frequency cross band repeat. I attempted to do this very thing tonight and the radio simply transmitted on the crossband frequency that the memory was set to RX on.

Can you break that down for me again please?

Side A: Tx on 2M Rx on 440
Side B: Tx on 440 Rx on 2M

End result was a Tx on 2m and received on 440?

So the HI situation can not be duplicated by the Anytone? Do I have that correct?

Split screen

Is there a way to have VHF on one side and UHFon the other?
I've gone through the book and I cannot see how.

Is there a way to have VHF on one side and UHFon the other?
I've gone through the book and I cannot see how.

Sorry, I just missed this post. Yes, there is - it works just fine. Just hold the either the top right or top left button in until the accompanying VFO changes bands.

My radio has developed a problem - When the power output is set on HIGH or MID1, it will kill the transmit power output if you key for about 30 seconds. The mic will still be open, but there is no output from the radio. I'm guessing that this is some type of thermal protection that is kicking in, but the radio doesn't even need to be hot. I sent an email in to Import Communications to see if they've heard of any issues like this.

I sent an email in to Import Communications to see if they've heard of any issues like this.
Did you sign it the "The World Famous Moleculo" so they're aware that the entire Ham community is awaiting an example of their customer service, and that this could make or break them?

:pop:

Just sayin'...

Sorry, I just missed this post. Yes, there is - it works just fine. Just hold the either the top right or top left button in until the accompanying VFO changes bands.

Thank you for the tip.
I tried that and both sides still scan all channels. Do I have to reprogram it after doing this? When I pulled the settings from my old TM-7V I kept the 2 sides separate. I'm sure it's something simple I am not seeing. Not sure what.

Following up on the Import Communications customer service inquiry: Ed emailed me back quickly saying that they hadn't heard of any problems like mine with the radio, but to send it in and they would exchange it for a new one. It got dropped off in the mail today.

BTW, the radio now has the same problem at all power levels - it just cuts the TX power once it is warm. I'll report back after I have the new radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated