• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone AT-6666 RF Power

Greg T

WDX-945 (Jazz Singer) Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Sep 18, 2014
Escanaba, Michigan
Does anyone here use the anytone quad 6? I'm wondering about the RF power control on Side Band. I'm wondering if you use the r f power control to change sideband output, or if you use the Mic gain as in the galaxies and Rangers. My cousin was asking me about that because he couldn't find the information so I told him I would look.

Reactions: Handy Andy

Don’t if it’s right or wrong but I use the RF Power Control.

On AM I turn the RF Power control all the way counter clockwise.

On SSB I turn the RF Power control to 11:00.

I see. That's the info I need because he's going to need to turn the SSB pep down to about 20 to maybe 25 he said, but wasn't sure how to do it. He's used to the old radios that use the mic gain control to regulate SSB power.

I know that the 1st gen RCI2950 has the front Power control going to the AM power setting and pulls down the the ALC (SSB) setting to lower the power on AM and SSB modes. I just looked, the DX series also pulls down on the ALC to lower the peak output like the earlier versions do.

Last edited:
I know that the 1st gen RCI2950 has the front Power control going to the AM power setting and pulls down the the ALC (SSB) setting to lower the power on AM and SSB modes. I just looked, the DX series also pulls down on the ALC to lower the peak output like the earlier versions do.

Well, he's looking into the Anytone AT-6666 and wants to make sure the SSB is able to be controlled easily.

The quad 6 right out of the box likes to talk, it's a hot radio. I even turned down the carriers because they were high for my likings.

They are definitely performers and very well on ssb so if he's planning to drive the typical Amp he should really de-tune is some because it's too much powa for the average box.

I run mine barefoot, and no need for a box because it just works well by itself. Many qso with this one through a tuner to a vertical ground plane. 4 years strong with the one mounted base and the other has bounced between vehicles to being put away as the backup. Best export ssb rig I have personal ever owned.

The quad 6 right out of the box likes to talk, it's a hot radio. I even turned down the carriers because they were high for my likings.

They are definitely performers and very well on ssb so if he's planning to drive the typical Amp he should really de-tune is some because it's too much powa for the average box.

I run mine barefoot, and no need for a box because it just works well by itself. Many qso with this one through a tuner to a vertical ground plane. 4 years strong with the one mounted base and the other has bounced between vehicles to being put away as the backup. Best export ssb rig I have personal ever owned.

Yes, he's still in the process of deciding how to go, and liked the reviews he's read about the quad 6. How low does SSB go when using the front RF output knob?

Ok, to help with "working this".

(AT_6666_MODE=ON)
(IDIOSYNCRASIES_ABOUT_AUDIO_PROCESSING=Enabled.)

The RF Power does just that runs you right up to and "clips" (Won't let you swing more).

Some people don't like that - but Low-Drive Amps love the "mid" (50% or less (25%) of the RF Power.

But here's the rub that many don't seem to get - or maybe they do and like a good fishing hole - don't want to spoil the "hole" by everybody else trying their luck at it...

The Mic Gain - it just won't clip at one point or another - unless you're running it hard - so if you want clear clean audio just not "bunched up" and clipping hard on the "compressed side" of distortion - it will do this. You are to just back the Mic gain down and let the amp swing for the bleachers.

But if you like to run it hard and only use a Low-Driver amp - then run your mic gain up to the point of compression peaking. Just enuff - so you're not "eating it" and RF power knob DOWN so the radio can squeeze enough in there to let it get a breath or two while you pause - some on SSB run the Mic gain to compress and take in everything - but run the SSB RF power when in that mode - so the amp can sense and key - stay keyed from sounds emanating from their background radiation detectors (fans) onto the persons shoe size - squeezes in there into the amp for it to radiate.

Reactions: Greg T and NZ8N
Ok, to help with "working this".

(AT_6666_MODE=ON)
(IDIOSYNCRASIES_ABOUT_AUDIO_PROCESSING=Enabled.)

The RF Power does just that runs you right up to and "clips" (Won't let you swing more).

Some people don't like that - but Low-Drive Amps love the "mid" (50% or less (25%) of the RF Power.

But here's the rub that many don't seem to get - or maybe they do and like a good fishing hole - don't want to spoil the "hole" by everybody else trying their luck at it...

The Mic Gain - it just won't clip at one point or another - unless you're running it hard - so if you want clear clean audio just not "bunched up" and clipping hard on the "compressed side" of distortion - it will do this. You are to just back the Mic gain down and let the amp swing for the bleachers.

But if you like to run it hard and only use a Low-Driver amp - then run your mic gain up to the point of compression peaking. Just enuff - so you're not "eating it" and RF power knob DOWN so the radio can squeeze enough in there to let it get a breath or two while you pause - some on SSB run the Mic gain to compress and take in everything - but run the SSB RF power when in that mode - so the amp can sense and key - stay keyed from sounds emanating from their background radiation detectors (fans) onto the persons shoe size - squeezes in there into the amp for it to radiate.
I understand. I run my own stuff with plenty of head room because the comb-and-tissue paper sound drives me nuts, and I don't wanna be that guy. The thing is, my cuz is still in the planning stages and wants a good radio and a decent amp, but wants them to work well together before he shells out the money to be disappointed. I've never operated a Quad 6 so I don't know how far down the RF power will go on SSB. The way he explains it to me is he wants to be able to get down to 30 to 35 W pep and have clean audio. Being clean won't be an issue IF we can get the drive level needed.

Why does he want the 6x4 versus say a Galaxy or Ranger?

Now, before the thread erupts into a forest fire ...

The AT-6666 is a small mobile - but then too, he wants to run power - theres' the problem.

The dynamics...

One can shoot more power into the other than it's worth.

You can fix that by removing 1 of the Finals in the AT-6666 - then you're stuck with a dog until you put that extra/Original part back in...

The "dog" references being size of power comparison...

upload_2022-1-4_7-14-38.png
Samuel Clemens
(Mark Twain) says it best...
upload_2022-1-4_7-21-6.png
So, he has to make choices - if he wants to run a radio both Stock and Barefoot and then kick it in - then the task becomes converting a Lo-Rider Drive amp into a 4x$ - er, 4x4 Monster AMP truck capable of Flat-sucking Deep-Cycle Hi-Lo Lift batteries into Lead and sulfites and Turning Firestiks into Kindling and ash ...

Else just get the AT-6666 pull the cover plate off and unsolder the legs of one final and lift its legs off so it doesn't make contact - then you're equal (in power - don't fret over the S/RF-meter readings) and he can run the Amp nearly all the time and skip the line for the Concessions stand...
R.2f0819c16810b9fb2e8e3aa08d50ca4b

Then there's the old Adage...
upload_2022-1-4_7-46-25.png

The AT-6666 is a small mobile - but then too, he wants to run power - theres' the problem.

The dynamics...

You can fix that by removing 1 of the Finals in the AT-6666 - then you're stuck with a dog until you put that extra/Original part back in...

View attachment 49405
Samuel Clemens
View attachment 49406
So, he has to make choices - if he wants to run a radio both Stock and Barefoot and then kick it in - then the task becomes converting a Lo-Rider Drive amp into a 4x$ - er, 4x4 Monster AMP truck capable of Flat-sucking Deep-Cycle Hi-Lo Lift batteries into Lead and sulfites and Turning Firestiks into Kindling and ash ...

Else just get the AT-6666 pull the cover plate off and unsolder the legs of one final and lift its legs off so it doesn't make contact - then you're equal (in power - don't fret over the S/RF-meter readings) and he can run the Amp nearly all the time and skip the line for the Concessions stand...

Somehow, in his head, he knows what he wants but doesn't know how to achieve it. He's ben in a truck most of his life and has never had a real base setup before, except for a couple of mobiles on car batteries while on vacation. He says he wants the mobile because it has a small foot print, but wants the luxury of having extra oomph at the flip of a switch. I tried to explain finding a used Ranger 2990 or Saturn Turbo, or maybe a 2970. Just doesn't make sense to me to want a small foot print, and then need a huge power supply to run the stuff anyway. He's got a few months before retiring anyway, so I'll talk to him again and see f I can scrutinize his tought process. Thanx, much for the info!!

Reactions: Rwb and Handy Andy
Somehow, in his head, he knows what he wants but doesn't know how to achieve it. He's ben in a truck most of his life and has never had a real base setup before, except for a couple of mobiles on car batteries while on vacation. He says he wants the mobile because it has a small foot print, but wants the luxury of having extra oomph at the flip of a switch. I tried to explain finding a used Ranger 2990 or Saturn Turbo, or maybe a 2970. Just doesn't make sense to me to want a small foot print, and then need a huge power supply to run the stuff anyway. He's got a few months before retiring anyway, so I'll talk to him again and see f I can scrutinize his tought process. Thanx, much for the info!!
He could probably adjust the ALC to get the output he wants. It seems like he is on the slippery slope of buying radios as a hobby. It all starts with just one radio, happens to the best of us. I completely understand that he knows what he wants, figuring out how to do what you want to do is the fun part of the hobby.

He could probably adjust the ALC to get the output he wants. It seems like he is on the slippery slope of buying radios as a hobby. It all starts with just one radio, happens to the best of us. I completely understand that he knows what he wants, figuring out how to do what you want to do is the fun part of the hobby.

Well, I've been in the radio stuff since 1964 and I know about the install, setup, antenna matches, etc. But he comes out with these questions that I probably had back in the day and I'm not used to that. He has his heart set on a quad 6, which I've heard is a beautiful sounding radio. THEN he says he wants to run about 500 watts. NOW he has to make sure that radio will turn down far enough to run a TS 500 or similar with about 35 pep drive. I know there is an RF power knob on the radio, but I have no idea how far down it will go. I've never played with a quad 6. He just wants a good sounding, reliable setup after he retires.

He could probably adjust the ALC to get the output he wants. It seems like he is on the slippery slope of buying radios as a hobby. It all starts with just one radio, happens to the best of us. I completely understand that he knows what he wants, figuring out how to do what you want to do is the fun part of the hobby.[/QUOTEOK?

What he said!

The dynamics...

View attachment 49405
Samuel Clemens
View attachment 49406

Well said!

Reactions: Rwb and Handy Andy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.