• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone at-6666 v3

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Well fellas, I got a v3 version of the radio in Monday and finally got around to cracking it open to do some quality inspection. So just for future owners I wanted to say this newest batch changed to the vishay irf-520's just like what Ranger uses. No more 13n10's. After checking bias voltages, carrier adjustments and the typical light adjustments it runs just as good as the v2 (with 13n10's) I'm using as a mobile but much cooler. It's about 10 watts less pep but I don't think it'll be noticeable unless you're a meter junkie. I know there are several folks that had blown finals with the previous ones using the n10's and although I haven't ran into that issue only time will tell how these do as far as longevity. When I get free again to tinker with my personal stuff I'll put the older one on the bench to compare and see what else is changed or upgraded in this newer version. Many knock them for being Chinese but I've had a great streak with the anytone bunch so far and I'm a RCI chassis guy by preference. Anyhow, there isn't much info on these rigs out there so I figured I'd share my findings with others on here. Hope everyone has had a blessed start to the new year!

I have several of them in the cars. All have 13N10s. All work fine.
Some have been there for several years.

Some of the radios of this particular design used to have IRF520s. They have gone back and forth a few times. It's probably whatever they can get their hands on at the time for the lowest cost.

For those of us that are ignorant - what's a "Lesscom version"?
I know of Lescomm but is he having Qixiang make one specially for him?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Like I said,do you have any experience with his setups? If so,share. If not,go away.
Different folks, different strokes. I've never had a lescomm special so I've got nothing negative to say but I've heard a lot of good things about Lester himself. That said, if it's a great rig to you that's all that matters my friend. Back closer to topic now, yeah it's a nice radio with some good potential but that's only my opinion and others who agree because they too have owned one. So far so good here no complaints! They aren't perfect and they'll carry the black box radio stigma but compared to many other "black box" radios it's a for sure winner in many areas others aren't so much. I've really enjoyed the Magnum 1 but for me this quad 6 out performs it in several ways. A wicked little radio is one way to put it!

I like these radios. We have them in our cars.
And we have modern cars where everything is tight and there is no place to put a full sized radio.

Now the video Rabbi linked?
Looks like a screwdrivered Anytone to me.
I am sure he is just trying to get a bite. We all know that.

These are good radios. They are not so good when you screwdriver them and load them up with magical pixie dust.

I am sure it was better out of the box than it is now.

I just have two questions...

Twin Xtal design, ok, that may help with image and noise issues to improve the Selectivity - but why replace OEM?
TwinXtalAT6666IF.png
You'll see in the pic, that the Xtals have bypass coupling or shunts as I would call it, to handle the IF and tailor the skirt to provide a narrow or broad banded admittance into and from the stage - the shiny open pads above. Right next to the Xtals - follow the trace one to foil ground the other to input - you can also use this method for Ripple imaging - a type of RF bypass that uses the power supply feedline instead of ground to provide an effective noise gate feature tied to the AGC used in this section.

Why do I take issue? The section is tunable - and simple SMD swap (add in) to reduce the IF image issue are an easier approach and PROVIDED already if you know what you are doing. These are 3-lead Xtals - so they shield to ground thru the CENTER post of the Xtal - so the effort of removing the OEM and subbing in other IF Xtals is why I ask if it was really necessary.

Ok, the above is due to the nature of IF tuning and the input RF it has to obtain an image from. So if the guy uses more of the CB band and oddballs around it versus 12 or 10 meter extremes, he will find himself with a pretty busy receiver - the parts are missing so it can tune the range of the band. But otherwise the benefit of swapping IF Xtals... is a moot and not really needed function.

Your receiver is already "Centered" (inherited tuning peaking) between the two extremes. A tweak of the IF can or even the part insertion can provide relief from the headaches of poor selectivity more than twin Xtals and a high powered IF input slamming it thru the section.

Otherwise...
The Elusive ERF2030+ and all the power therein...
TwinXtalAT6666Finals.png

So it looks like again parts dropped in for the sake of ... dropping parts in...

Does anyone really need 150watts and the risks associated with this level of power - both as RF and a Power supply issues? Come-on people - do the math...and the required clearances for cooling...ventilation - can you Prius or Tesla take on the extra battery loading?.

That's a 4 stage TX amp anyhoo. The only Bipolar is the smaller TO-126 next to it (Similar to 2314) - so you know...

Those were the only real questions I have - why they needed to take out the OEM and put in something then make claims the OEM didn't perform as this would.

We are seeing the work AFTER the parts are swapped, not a before and after...so we only see one side of the story...

• As I reviewed this post, I also needed to add this - in the real world of repairs, ANY type of repair, you need to be aware of the parts removed and you are being charged for. These are brand new parts yet they are being replaced - why?
  • In your vehicle - you have parts that are only going to fit and work one way and only for that purpose in the vehicles' performance and function as well as your safety. Why take a perfectly good radio and remove factory parts for the sake of improved or yet to be improved and PROVEN performance increase from these parts the tech installs?
  • There is a problem with the statement above, and the burden of proof is on you, not the tech. So if you wish to have work done, just don't let them remove parts sight unseen - know your radio and if necessary, take a picture of the internals for your own personal private use and comparisons - you're being charged for services on a brand new radio that may not be fully completed or truly even necessary to begin with. Read On...
  • You have a warranty - if the radio does NOT work like it should send it in or return it! Please don't suffer the fates others have in losing $$$ in repair expenditures from poor or shoddy work the tech does to the radio they claim is an upgrade.
  • Warranty from the Factory is just that, a factory warranty to repair or replace the radio at their choosing. But what do you have AFTER a tech has done work to the radio and it now requires service? The Tech may, or may not, stand by their work. They may blame you for the problem and charge your for the bench fee - even if it is shown that the radio required service BECAUSE of their repair work was not done properly. To them, it is not their problem and you'd be hard pressed to prove that the radio was fine BEFORE the tech did it - so know your radio and the tech doing work to it.

Else if the above doesn't sit well with you, you don't have to do business with them - move on, nothing is worth the loss of income, transportation or job or for your own safety - keep your money and find better service elsewhere.

Last edited:
Mine did swing to almost 100 watts so I had to go in and turn it down to run the amp. The biggest advantage to the max mod I see is less heat buildup,always a good thing.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated