• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base Apartment Life: Dipole or Vertical

Ok, my 9-year old is really getting bitten by the radio bug and we only have a mobile right now. It is a great mobile but I think it is time to have a rig in the apartment.

I've made them work before, with a vice grip on a metal railing and a 108" SS whip.

I'm on the bottom floor currently, with some trees in our "back yard". I'm thinking a dipole may be the best option here?

What can I expect in "loss" when talking with locals as far as polarization goes? I can't get up into the trees but I can certainly throw some line up there and draw the dipole up higher than I can ever hope to get a vertical.

Pros and cons?

You can have a vertical dipole in the tree very easily.
I used to carry a coaxial dipole around with me in my car so I could throw a line into the tree branches and hoist it up using my mobile as a base station when I did handyman work in a rural environment. It was simple, and worked as well as any 1/2 wave vertical at the same height. Made from a single coax at the opposite end from the radio it was light and easy.
The attached image shows how it is made:

Screenshot_20200318-004606_Google-01.jpeg

I made a loop at the end of the coax center conductor and pulled it up from that loop with Mason's cord.
Make the upper conductor longer than necessary, ~9', and fold it back on itself to tune for best SWR.

You can have a vertical dipole in the tree very easily.
I used to carry a coaxial dipole around with me in my car so I could throw a line into the tree branches and hoist it up using my mobile as a base station when I did handyman work in a rural environment. It was simple, and worked as well as any 1/2 wave vertical at the same height. Made from a single coax at the opposite end from the radio it was light and easy.
The attached image shows how it is made:

View attachment 35324

I made a loop at the end of the coax center conductor and pulled it up from that loop with Mason's cord.
Make the upper conductor longer than necessary, ~9', and fold it back on itself to tune for best SWR.
Is this just any old cable you used (cable TV or RG?)

Is this just any old cable you used (cable TV or RG?)
I used RG58 at the time. It needed about 18' of one end of the cable and the remainder was the feedline to my vehicle. A 50' coax is what I used.
However, a 75 Ohm A/V cable can be used bearing in mind that an anticipated SWR of ~1.5:1 should be expected when the dipole is tuned to resonance. I have used 75 Ohm coax many times on 11m and other HF bands successfully for years.
I do recommend the 50 Ohm coax for this in order to keep the fewest variables in play when tuning the length.

I used RG58 at the time. It needed about 18' of one end of the cable and the remainder was the feedline to my vehicle. A 50' coax is what I used.
However, a 75 Ohm A/V cable can be used bearing in mind that an anticipated SWR of ~1.5:1 should be expected when the dipole is tuned to resonance. I have used 75 Ohm coax many times on 11m and other HF bands successfully for years.
I do recommend the 50 Ohm coax for this in order to keep the fewest variables in play when tuning the length.
I have 100' of RG58 that will be quite suitable! Thanks for the idea - I think this may actually give us some range rather than a vertical mounted as high as I can based on what little height I can get off the ground!

Reactions: HomerBB
My son lives in a third-floor apartment of a four-story. A very wide interior corner balcony on a building completely surrounding a courtyard.

(The parking garage roof is open to use. Directional, but quite high and unobstructed. Mobile is already covered).

A balcony antenna such as the MFJ 1622 — a balcony-rail affixed telescoping whip — is first thought. And since the OP mentioned this as “type” in first post — with the thread title in mind — is it the best option? (Others searching this topic will find this thread on first search).

The balcony is covered. Five feet or so of depth outwards from wall. Straight line corner-to-corner across a curved expanse is at least 20’.

An 11-meter dipole “fits” under ceiling and across space, but the height isn’t more than 9’.

And that TX/RX from a building courtyard seems unlikely to be any good at all even were a dipole “camouflaged” and hung “exterior” across the balcony space. Something simply hung downwards (is the other), but with an apartment above and two below, it’d have to be after dark and limited in time of use.

Even a set of ears would be a good start.

I’ve asked him to consider moving to a northwards-facing, exterior-exposure apartment where LOS is from a third or fourth-story suite as that seems the only solution.

Still, . . . .

What antenna experiments would you try?

Last edited:
Reactions: TheRATT

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.