• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Apartment Woes - Help Me Please

TheIrishJedi

Oct 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
So I am almost ready to take the Tech Test. Been studying at a relaxed pace while I listen to 2m/70cm ragchews on the old scanner and save up for my first rig.

I think I have decided what I want to do. My main interest, honestly is in DXing but I have a bad case of the apartment woes. :cry:

My biggest obstacle to this hobby is the antenna I will be needing. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and I cannot string up an antenna to a tree or have a huge tower in the courtyard. Maybe I can attach one to my balcony but it would have to limited in scope. To me this is the most discouraging problem I am facing but I think I can overcome it if I get the right help.

Have you guys ever done Ham Radio from an apartment? Can someone show me pics of your antenna set up or perhaps refer to me other Hams with the same dilemma? Any articles?

Because of this challenge, I might just go the HT route (VX-7R is my current choice) and work contacts via satellites.

As a tech, I would try 6M. Might be your best bet for DX. 2M DX is rare, but not unheard of. A 6M Antenna would be quite a bit shorter than a 10M antenna. Make up a 6M dipole, and run it in you apt. 468 divided by 52mhz.

Unless the apartment has a clause to allow it, I'd hate to be the one to tell you that you are going to get into nothing but trouble. Especially if DX is your thing. Running a dipole in your apartment is going to lock horns with the apartment management sooner or later. It would be wiser to take a much different approach.

I would resolve myself to a mobile unit or a handheld for VHF/UHF as far as that is concerned. They cannot do anything about that. You can also build a nice 10/11 meter radio setup in your car. That way you can still get some decent DX. You aren't going to get DX out of the VHF/UHF radio anyway - unless you have a satellite setup.

I have never done it, but.....

Have you considered joining a local club and seeing if you can setup something on their tower?

I beg to differ. I've had pretty good DX results with my 6m dipole up in the attic. And also 2M DX with my Diamond X50 on my roof eave. "Conditions Pending".
JMO
Nice point about 6m DX.

However; the original post said that he lived in an apartment. And if you've ever lived in one - as many have at one time or another - the management of the apartments can frown and even evict for such reasons. Like having a stereo up too loud all of the time and not complying to cease and desist. That is his real dilemma - as I see it. It all really depends upon the apartment management and the other tenants...

But yes, a 6m setup would also be an alternative for the 'DX Blues'. As 10 or 11 meter would. So long as it was in his car - and not in the apartment - that is my point...

Hi,
Have you considered a magnetic loop antenna? The near field is mainly magnetic and the
electric field is around the tuning capacitor. You need a circumference of less than a quarter wavelength. Somehow the radiation ends up the same as that from any other antenna but don't ask me how! Maybe near a window it would work OK. They're a bit expensive but if you can get a vaccuum capacitor you can homebrew one.

You said you have a balcony....why not rig a mobil antenna to the balcony somehow (withour drilling holes in the hand rail of course).

A 2 meter mag mount antenna would work great in that area and I am pretty sure that a 6 meter antenna would mount fairly easy.

but getting down in to the HF bands would be a challange but I am sure it can be done if you do your homework for an antenna setup

firdst thing id do is talk to the landlord/apartment manager.sit down wirth him
explaIN that your becoming a ham and maybe he will allow ya to put up something
and if he does say no then abide by his rules.know i know ya said dx is your main
interest however he may/maynot let ya put up a small antenna only.i dont know
how big a 2/6 meter base antennas are but id start there cause i do know there
alot smaller than 10/11 meter antennas.if he says no antennas what so ever
then id just build a good mobile station as someone else posted.dont try to sneak one
if he finds out ya could get evicted i wouldnt recommend trying that

what about horizontal Halo type antenas
for 6 meters
for 2 meters
for 70 cms

They would easily fit on your balcony
as well as offer a real usable system..

A suggestion...
How tall or how many stories is the building your in..
Many yrs ago i had a friend in a 26 story building..
All apartment occupents were allowed to put up an antenna on the roof (talk about great skip and local..my building was only 17 stories)..

Anyways..
Once you get your ticket..
Then talk to super about putting up an antenna on the roof..

Again the halo antennas are small but work quite well..
So likely not going to get much arguing..
Play the ham radio and fed rights act..
As well as Emergency work/help aspect..

Thanks for the responses everyone.

The apartment lets people set up "smaller" antennas on the roof and satellite dishes on the roof or balcony.

I have been thinking about mobile antennas as has been suggested. The Buddipole is one that I found, is $200, and seems to be regarded favorably by youtubers. I have seen people who have attached them to painters poles to increase their height.

How well do you guys think a buddy pole, extended so that the bottom of the antenna rises above the third story will work for some DXing?

I will be moving to a third floor apartment in late December and I should have easy access to the roof via a ladder. Same complex, just smaller apartment (roommate is getting married). So I was also thinking about installing a covert dipole along the span of the roof. I am wondering how high off the roof it has to be, because if I can keep it 12 inches or so it ain't going to be noticed by anyone.

Or, even better, if you know of another CHEAPER setup, that would be great. Since I will already be 3 stories up, might it be possible to get a cheaper more conventional antenna and just mount it somehow to the rail or wall? I will need to be able to take it down easily, though. Any suggestions on that would be excellent.

Have you considered a magnetic loop antenna?

I haven't. I will google them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.