• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

AR-3500

SmackDown

I have my eye on a 30 watt AR-3500. I wanted to know before finalizing the purchase if it can be converted to the 100 watt version. I figure it would mean a change of the heatsink and output transistors but I'm not that naive to think it could just be that easy. Maybe someone here knows of such a conversion and can give me more insight.

73's

Probably be much more straightforward if you just got an external amp.

It's a heck of a lot of trouble to upgrade the PA section of a radio like that.

well, im no tech, and i dont know too much about this radio, but looking at the schematic, it shows one 2166 driving two 2312's.

this leads me to believe that that 100 watt version used some sort of amp that was built into the heatsink.
i do know that there are no transistors in the same case style as the 2312 (TO-220) that will get you up to 100 watts with a pair of them.

boy i wish there were!
hope you find the info you are looking for,
later,
loosecannon

SR385 said:
Probably be much more straightforward if you just got an external amp.

It's a heck of a lot of trouble to upgrade the PA section of a radio like that.

I tend to agree here ,if this is at all possible for you ? Those radiso have become nice well talked about antiques. For that reason alone , and the radio is working well as it is , I'd leave it alone and go another route for power concerns. Good luck to you.

That would be a wise move. On a seperate not, is the MRF497 or is the 477, never could remember which. Are either of these still available. There was a mod that could be done for the old 2510's. I think the last time I looked though that final was like $15-$20 . LOL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.